Author Topic: Advice for a first time winter fisher/camper?  (Read 2497 times)

icklekins

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Advice for a first time winter fisher/camper?
« on: April 26, 2016, 05:05:10 PM »
Hello!

My husband and I have been wanting to fish the opening weekend of trout season for a while, and we're getting ready to head up this weekend. However, the closer and closer we get, the more and more snow seems to be on the ground and that makes me nervous.

I've never camped the Eastern Sierra range in the late winter, though we go regularly in the fall. We will probably hit the Holiday campground since that appears to be the only campground open in winter, unless there is some place else open.

I am looking for any advice, tips, tricks, updates about conditions, or general commentary.

Also:

What gear do you consider essential for camping and fishing in the current weather?

What are our chances for catching something other than a cold this next weekend?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 05:08:00 PM by icklekins »

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for a first time winter fisher/camper?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 06:21:06 PM »
First off,  welcome to the board,  second,  not sure about Holiday camp,  if it is even open.  Tuffs or French Camp should be open,  and the creek next to it will be stocked too.  As far as the weather,  it changes hour to hour so just prepare for everything and have a great time!
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

icklekins

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 08:26:32 PM »
First off,  welcome to the board,  second,  not sure about Holiday camp,  if it is even open.  Tuffs or French Camp should be open,  and the creek next to it will be stocked too.  As far as the weather,  it changes hour to hour so just prepare for everything and have a great time!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I was going off what the NFS website says about the campsites, but as long as some are open that's all that matters.

I am glad to hear the creek will be stocked by this weekend. We had the best luck there this last fall - caught a 2.5 pounder and lots of 12 to 14 inchers.

Is there an inch count for how much snow is on the ground? Where could I find a reliable source for that kind of information?

damer419

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 07:52:39 AM »
French Camp would be a safe bet I imagine........I know we have a guy on the board en route as I type this who stays there every opener. The weather reports for the weekend are changing....was looking good, but now maybe a lil rain on Sat.......be prepared. This is my "go to" weather guy for up there and he is releasing a detailed opener weather report this afternoon.

http://mammothweather.com/

Just go for it......life is all about the adventure. The lake was stocked yesterday too! C'MON FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Slowly switching from salt to sweet

damer419

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 07:55:33 AM »
Also, if you are on Facebook, look up and follow Rock Creek Canyon Campgrounds......they just posted cool pics of the new road and pics from yesterday....little bit of snow but looks AWESOME
Slowly switching from salt to sweet

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 08:53:44 AM »

This pic is from a few years back, in East Fork campground. A late fall trip.

I had a basic rectangular, down sleeping bag rated at 30 degrees. I slept in sweats and was fine. I would guess lows got down to upper teens.

My tent was pitched on top of the snow. I just had a self inflating mattress pad.

Only time I was cold was when I wasn't in the sleeping bag.

Go for it.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

icklekins

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 02:09:12 PM »
French Camp would be a safe bet I imagine........I know we have a guy on the board en route as I type this who stays there every opener. The weather reports for the weekend are changing....was looking good, but now maybe a lil rain on Sat.......be prepared. This is my "go to" weather guy for up there and he is releasing a detailed opener weather report this afternoon.

http://mammothweather.com/

Just go for it......life is all about the adventure. The lake was stocked yesterday too! C'MON FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, if you are on Facebook, look up and follow Rock Creek Canyon Campgrounds......they just posted cool pics of the new road and pics from yesterday....little bit of snow but looks AWESOME

Whatever is open is likely where we will stay. If it's French or Holiday or whatever, we're hoping to get in before dark Friday. Hopefully there's space!

Thanks for the link! I also found the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/RockCreekCanyon/

From their pictures, it looks like the roads are mostly clear, which is pretty exciting!

And the adventure is out there... and I am pretty hyped to get going on this one.

icklekins

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 02:11:35 PM »
This pic is from a few years back, in East Fork campground. A late fall trip.

I had a basic rectangular, down sleeping bag rated at 30 degrees. I slept in sweats and was fine. I would guess lows got down to upper teens.

My tent was pitched on top of the snow. I just had a self inflating mattress pad.

Only time I was cold was when I wasn't in the sleeping bag.

Go for it.

East Fork is generally where we camp - not too far down the mountain and not too far up - and nice and shady in the heat of the summer.

We are so going for it. I just hope I'll be warm enough!

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 06:05:46 PM »
East Fork will more then likely not be open, along with others up the road. Those do not usually open until right before Memorial Day.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.