Author Topic: a week at the creek  (Read 4031 times)

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
a week at the creek
« on: May 07, 2016, 07:20:38 AM »
Arrived in French Camp about 1030 on the 26th, first one in the campground..Set up camp, collected enough pine cones for a week.. stayed in camp for the day and finished reading a book..

Wed. 4/27.  Fished the Lower Owens for about 5 hours and only caught 4 stockers. Weather in Rock Creek was a tad nippy.

Thur.4/28.   Fished the Lower Owens for 6 hours and the wind was howling but I did manage to catch to catch 5 good size trout 16-18 inches in the river south of line street..fish were released. Creek in campground was stocked but half the amount of last year and not nearly as big...Weather was cold with a few snow flakes and sleet.

Fri. 4/29  Spent most of the day shooting off the Owens River road, fired about 700 rounds...came back to camp and cleaned my 5 handguns..Campground is filling up with campers.. Friday was beautiful weather but forecast is for crappy weather for the opener..cold and the dreaded wind.

Sat.4/30. Its cold and windy. On the Upper Owens by 0700..27 degrees, 30 mph winds and snow falling. maybe 35-40 fishermen from the monument down to the lake...Catch one 17 inch Cutthroat at 0830 with a lure and never had a bite after that no matter what I used..Never even saw one fish in the river. Everyone I talked to was getting skunked and not even having any bites. Only saw 2 guys with one fish each.  Back at the campground and almost all the planted fish had been caught by the hordes of fishermen that morning.

Sun. 5/1 Again fished the Owens for almost 6 hours and never had one bite, everyone I talked with had the same story... no bites no fish.

Yogi bear came into site by me Friday night and got into the cooler the camper left on his table..Told him to put the GD thing in his bear box but he didn't and Yogi came back in the morning and ate the food he had replaced from the first time... I told him he needs a expensive ticket from the Forest Service for leaving food out...  Yogi was also in the campground on Saturday night about 2100 hours.. These people that leave their food out need to stay home.....

Monday 5/2 On the way home fished south of line Street and caught 6 really nice trout, all 16-18 inches long..Kept 3 and the only ones I kept for the trip.

Watched the ice fishermen at the lake on Sunday afternoon for about a hour..never saw one fish caught and 6 guys I talked with said they fished for 5 hours and never had a bite...

Campground host mentioned that last season the creek was only stocked once a month and was not stocked at all in Sept. and October.  Sure would like to know where our License money is going since it sure isn't for fish stocking..

This was the third straight opener with cold weather and lousy fishing on the Upper Owens.. I must say the fishing in the river has really gone down in the last 5-6 years... From people I talked with that fished from June Lake South the opener was not very good as far as catching fish..

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: a week at the creek
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 07:56:10 AM »
Thanks for chiming in retired.

I'm envious that I didn't get to suffer through bad weather, yogi, and slow fishing.

To bad your camp neighbors were so stubborn. Its always frustrating to me that this type of behavior by campers generally leads to a bear being labeled a nuisance and ultimately is destroyed.

Regardless, it sure would be nice to get a spring trip in this year.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 09:33:32 AM »
Sorry the fishing was not great. Glad you scored ya a couple for the grill. At least the shooting was good. Nothing like that backdrop view while you burn a few rounds.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

vhbcinc

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 09:27:59 PM »
After scouring trip reports and fish reports for the Sierras it sure looks like the Opener was a bust for almost everyone. 

I cannot find any positive reports except those provided by retailers or trout guides. 

Bummer...

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 05:31:38 PM »
Thanks Retired for the opener report. Also for the update on the great job the State is doing with fishing license fees. At least you caught a few nice ones.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 07:20:32 PM »
Thanks Retired for the detailed report, sorry the fishing wasn't better for you, but stills sounds like you had a pretty interesting trip.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 03:26:47 PM »
and you got to be there!!!!!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

damer419

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 07:46:59 AM »
This was my first opener........I dont think Ill be back for another one. The crowds are brutal........If it was a longstanding tradition I would definitely keep going just for the experience, but i think I will do my early trip the week or 2 after. Saturday for us we fished all the lakes and creeks in June Loop and caught 1 fish. Weather was cold and snowy but no wind. Sunday we fished Convict had had a good day with easy limits. But we had to work for it.......pretty much all sight fish in the shallows using mini jigs. Shore fisherman using powerbait and such did not do much.
Slowly switching from salt to sweet

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 01:00:11 PM »
I did over 20 years of opening weekend. I finally got crowded out. I go the weekend after and it's much less crowded.

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 02:18:50 PM »
THE BETTER THE BAIT, THE LESS THE WAIT!!