Author Topic: Sierra trek planned: Types of fish in various lakes - not all East side  (Read 4038 times)

Heuschele

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
I have a Sierra trek planned starting next Monday and was hoping to get some Intel on some of the lakes I will be visiting (not all are East side).  Intel could include type of trout, lures/flies that work well or anything else relevant:
Purple lake
Lake Virginia
Lost keys lakes
Bench lakes
Marsh lake
Lakes around and including Peter pande lake
Indian lakes

Also visiting graveyard lakes and devil's Bathtub but I have fished those prior and know what to expect. 

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:02:31 AM by Heuschele »

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Sounds like you might be making a trip like I did in 2012. I caught mostly Goldens from all of the waters that we fished. Lake Virginia has some very nice fish. I think that it still holds the state record for CA Golden Trout. Here is a report of our hike from Mammoth to Edison and back across to Rock Creek.

http://www.rockcreeklake.com/board/index.php?topic=245.msg3178#msg3178

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
As Gary says, good goldens in Lake Virginia. Lost Keys: upper lake-most fish, middle lake-average, lower lake- biggest fish. Large brookies in Bench Lake. No goldens in these lakes. I think it was all brooks, can't remember any rainbows. Purple Lake is scenic. There are goldens above Purple in the upper Ram Lakes. We used mostly dark flies, fly rods and spinning with fly bubble.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
I think it was 2013 last time through that section of the Sierra.  Great fishing in most creeks and lakes and lots of Golden opportunity nearby except where you’re heading.  Looks like a fun trip!  What I recall during my last backpacking trip:

Purple Lake - Rainbows – up to 14” but average 10-12”.
Lake Virginia -  Goldens – caught a 16” but expect average about 12”.
Lost Keys Lakes – Rainbows – best was an 11” but average 6-10”.
Bench Lakes – Brookies – up to 14” in the largest Lake
Marsh Lake – Did not fish as it appeared fishless
Lakes around and including Peter Pande lake – Good sized group of lakes here with a mix of Rainbows and Brooks.  Caught my biggest trout in Anne and Olive Lakes – both large Rainbows.
Indian lakes – Brookies – up to 11” but average 6-10”.

Used my lightweight travel spinning outfit with fly-bubble.  Used a mix of dry and wet flies for this trip.
 :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Heuschele

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Thanks for all the good intel.  I am not camping at Virginia but the description of it makes it seem like I have to fish there.  We are doing the trek in only 5 days so there are a lot of lakes to fish in a small amount of time. 

Lefluerfish

• Wildman
  • Junior Creeker
  • Still Good Once As I Once Was........
    • View Profile
    • One of many gifts from a Creek member!
For future reference....go here https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/regions/6 and look under fishing.  There is an Eastern Sierra Fishing Guide with what fish is in each lake and which lakes are barren.  Not specific guide for what to use but you can figure that out by the type of fish.  Quite detailed information that is updated/
Traveling the world on the backs of a can of SPAM....with no fork.
Captain Avenger

Heuschele

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Update how the trip went...

Not to plan. 

The morning we were leaving trailhead a boy got sick. Had to redistribute food and some gear.  Edison ferry was very backed up and size of group required 2 ferries.  There was a  unexpected difficult water crossing.  Snow started at ~9k.  So first night was at silver pass lake which was frozen over (no fishing).  We had intended on camping at lake of lone Indian. 

Next day we started up silver pass and got there for breakfast but another boy was ill.  We turned around and we're going to reverse the hike starting by going over Silver Fox Pass.  My son and I were going to take the boy out and meet at graveyard meadows.  We took the boy out but were surprised when we met back up with the group were the climb started to graveyard lakes.  We were a few miles short.  Apparently some other boys were ailing. 

Next day we were planning on going over silver fox pass to Peter Pande but we had multiple boys ailing.  We went to graveyard lakes.  That was it for the ailing boys.  Some played at the lakes and some went to climb graveyard peak.  3 days in and we had less than 1 day of planned travel.  Much less snow here than silver pass area even though both are similar facing, similar altitude.

Next day we climbed to the top of silver fox pass.  Great climb if you like the rough passes which I like.   Problem was north side was full of hard snow and we did not have spikes/crampons.  We tried to by pass going west on the ridge but ridge soon got to be climbing difficult.  Going east was a scree field that I wanted to try but I was in the minority. So we headed out. 

We camped at VVR, talked to PCTers.   Next day was to be day hike to Dutch, hidden, and Crater.  You can probably guess.  Ailing boy (pretty much bed ridden) changed it so we did short hikes around Mono Hot Springs area (cross country to Devils table, cross country from there to Tule Lake, then Dorris).  Hit a few hot springs including Eden. 

How was the fishing?  Not that good.  On the way to/from silver pass in the meadow there were plenty of fish but we did not fish it.  Silver pass lake was frozen.  Graveyard meadows I usually catch 20 to 30 fish an hour, I caught 0.  A bunch of young boys had been fishing the meadow prior to our arrival.  It was likely fish were scared and hiding but it is also possible that the fish were not present in typical numbers. Graveyard lakes I caught 6, 2 boys caught 2 each.  No one else caught any.  I usually catch around 30 at the lakes most from the lowest lake.  Tule lake I got skunked.  I usually catch 30-40 bass an hour.   It had an algae bloom and was all red/brown.  I think it has had a major die off. Dorris I caught 0 trout.  You can catch shiners all day.  Dorris used to be a good trout lake (I caught 26" and a 21" rainbow from it many years ago) but now it is only a good swim lake.

I went back up a week later (much less snow in the high cup outcry) and fished Dutch (0 fish caught), hidden (4 large rainbows largest 15" plus 2 each from the 2 boys I was with: total 8 fish), and crater (6 Browns and large brooks plus 3 each from the 2 boys I was with: biggest 15" brook, total 12 fish).  I also fished bear diversion were I caught 1 14" brown (my boy and wife got skunked).  People coming down the bear creek/river had caught many. 

On initial trip we kept 3 fish from graveyard lakes for dinner.  On follow up trip We kept 2 fish from crater.  All other fish were released. 

I suspect these 2 trips to sierras are likely it for me this season (7 day and 10 day trips).  My son has another week planned in the sierras but I will not be joining him. 

Thanks to all who replied with information.  Unfortunately I only got to fish areas I had previously fished and did not get to use any of the information. 

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
plans are over-rated anyway:)

what an adventure!    sad about the ailing boys!   hopefully that doesnt damper them from going back in the future. 

sounds like you covered some great territory...thank you for sharing!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Child or adult it's no fun being sick and trying to hike or sleep in a backpacking tent. I'm surprised at that much snow even on top but the high water crossings not so much this year. At least you got out and into the woods. Didn't you at least bring us back a few pictures?

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
so true.. I don't even like being sick in my own home:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Cliffy

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Altitude sickness maybe?

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
I bring my micro spikes for traction on treacherous icy trails. They fit right over your boot or shoe and also work well on difficult stream crossing with water shoes. Fold compactly in my pocket or takes very little space in pack.  These micro spikes have saved many backpacking trips when encountering ice on passes.

Took my two girls to Graveyard Meadows and Graveyard Lakes one summer.  I can remember high tailing it out of there due to the mosquitos. ;D  They were relentless.  We were doing good fishing (Brookies I recall) until we were chased out.

Best advice I can say for taking kids backpacking is to take them a few days early and let them acclimate to the higher altitudes before starting on a backpacking trip.  That and practice first with a full pack in your local mountains if you can.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

littlefish

• Junior Creeker
  • California Native and Sierra lover for 60 years
    • View Profile
Dehydration would be my guess.  It's surprising how little water you drink when your surrounded by it.  Just sayin'