Author Topic: 2016 Sierra Nevada Pictures  (Read 51632 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
2016 Sierra Nevada Pictures
« on: June 16, 2016, 05:21:29 PM »

Thought I’d start another Eastern Sierra Picture thread.  I have a ton of pictures to share and hoping others will share their Sierra pictures as well.  Let’s continue this for 2016 and share your pictures of anything “Sierra”.  All Sierra Nevada photos are welcome, old and new.

Looking into the "Hoover Wilderness" during an early trip this year.  Little more snow on the ground than last year!

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Sierra Nevada Pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 09:34:09 PM »
Great to have you back Hawk, after your huge run of trip posting and kind advise towards members different questions regarding fishing and backcountry trips you had to be gassed. The morning coffee and chime in has not been the same. Please post a picture of Gracie as she has to be a big girl now. I know myself as well as a lot of fellow creeker's have missed your input.
Thank's again!   :clap: :clap:
Trev Dog

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 06:19:04 AM »
Thanks Trev Dog.  I did take a long break and let the Board take the lead, sometimes was painfully slow but more active lately.  Already taken a couple of trips up to the Sierra this year including one backpacking adventure.  Gracie came with me on both trips so she’s a real Sierra dog now!  We took a day hike a little over a week ago up Little Lakes Valley and just before we got to Long Lake she got all excited and started running/sniffing around the same area I found her almost two years ago.  It just made we wonder if she remembers? :doglick:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 06:28:12 AM »
What a difference a year makes!

Saddlebag Lake & Resort on June 1, 2015

Saddlebag Lake & Resort on June 1, 2016

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 10:03:03 AM »
What's that white stuff on the ground?
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 06:21:43 AM »
Frozen Saddlebag Lake

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 08:48:55 AM »
Great so see some white stuff in the mountains.  I was headed to the South Sierra, but got info that Fish Creek is virtually dry!  Looks like the mountains north got a lot more snow.  Thanks for the photo reconnaissance mission.   I got a message the Mammoth area creeks are in full runoff mode.

Heading up to the Cottonwoods on June 30, then I guess I'll hold off a bit for a Mammoth trip until runoff and more melt happens.  I'd imagine Gardisky and the Gaylors are still frozen solid.

John

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 11:07:47 AM »
I only been south to Rock Creek but up north around Sonora Pass.  A seen lot of snow and frozen lakes and the runoff have been heavy, essentially killing the fishing in the creeks and rivers as their running very cloudy with mud and debris.  I discovered 3 new Golden lakes in the Sonora Pass area and nice unnamed Brown Lake on the East Side with many hungry fish attaching my chosen fly.  Spring fishing has been good to me, best I’ve seen in years.

I imagine most lakes will be ice free by the end of the month but watch out for the stream crossings if the runoff is still heavy as it can be hazardous to cross over.  Expect the biting bugs to come out soon as its wet everywhere, especially towards the north!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 06:53:43 AM »
Saddlebag Lake Parking Lot

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 07:23:39 AM »
Waterfall out of Ellery Lake - Tioga Pass

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 07:25:20 AM »
Closeup of waterfall out of Ellery Lake - Tioga Pass

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 09:03:51 AM »
Someone needs to post some pictures of Sabrina I hear its almost full this year. :clap: :clap: :clap: I just started going up there a few years ago so have never seen it full
The Creek is Waiting...

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 04:58:36 PM »
Someone needs to post some pictures of Sabrina I hear its almost full this year. :clap: :clap: :clap: I just started going up there a few years ago so have never seen it full
I was there last Friday and yes it is fuller than it has been in a few years. it is high up on the dam. I'll try to remember to post some pictures when I get home.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 06:11:28 PM »
Dont have any pictures but do enjoy the ones others are posting. Thank you Corey Bear and all others  :chestbump:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 06:39:32 AM »
I won’t be up there until September for the fall colors and good fishing.  On their Facebook page it shows Lake Sabrina’s water level is way up this year!  On the way back from your day of hiking or fishing, stop off at Lake Sabrina Café for a cool drink and a slice of pie and sit out on the patio overlooking the lake.  Perfect way to end your day!!!

Lake Sabrina Café from 2008

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 06:51:30 AM »
I'll be sitting on the deck in a couple of weeks having a burger  :clap: :clap: 

Is there a trail that goes all the way around Sabrina ?
The Creek is Waiting...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 08:51:34 AM »
Not really.  There is a nice fisherman’s trail to the right of Lake Sabrina Boat Landing that goes to an inlet (Middle Fork Bishop Creek) which is about 1.3 miles.  I don’t think you can cross this creek because I hear its surging right now, just too dangerous to cross.  The trail stops there.  If you could cross the creek you would need to cross-country to the Blue Lake trail to get around the lake.

Blue Lake hike from the lake Sabrina Trailhead is very popular choice.  While this is a good uphill hike, the views will take your breath away.  Blue Lake is about 5 miles round trip.  Dingleberry Lake is another good option if you’re looking for a challenging hike.  About half way around Blue Lake there is a fork in the trail. Take the trail to the right to Dingleberry Lake.

The path leads around the ridge to the Emerald Lakes. These are beautiful small ponds that are very photogenic.  Dingleberry Lake is next and is about 8 miles round trip.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 12:27:06 PM »
Here is a couple of Sabrina from last weekend. I didn't take very many pictures because it was so windy and cold that day.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 10:59:00 AM by Gary C. »

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 05:45:34 PM »
People in picture wearing shortsleeves. ?

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 06:40:36 AM »
Ellery Lake in the Tioga Pass was full and beautiful

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 07:00:22 AM »
Not really.  There is a nice fisherman’s trail to the right of Lake Sabrina Boat Landing that goes to an inlet (Middle Fork Bishop Creek) which is about 1.3 miles.  I don’t think you can cross this creek because I hear its surging right now, just too dangerous to cross.  The trail stops there.  If you could cross the creek you would need to cross-country to the Blue Lake trail to get around the lake.

Blue Lake hike from the lake Sabrina Trailhead is very popular choice.  While this is a good uphill hike, the views will take your breath away.  Blue Lake is about 5 miles round trip.  Dingleberry Lake is another good option if you’re looking for a challenging hike.  About half way around Blue Lake there is a fork in the trail. Take the trail to the right to Dingleberry Lake.

The path leads around the ridge to the Emerald Lakes. These are beautiful small ponds that are very photogenic.  Dingleberry Lake is next and is about 8 miles round trip.
   THANKS !!
The Creek is Waiting...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 06:44:20 AM »
Ellery Lake Wild Brown Trout caught!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 06:29:06 AM »
Tioga Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2016, 06:45:31 AM »
Lee Vining Creek Looking North - Tioga Pass

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2016, 06:46:42 AM »
Lee Vining Creek & Mount Dana - Tioga Pass