Author Topic: Wildlife?  (Read 3741 times)

Still Mostly Spinning

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Rock Creek's Message Board
Wildlife?
« on: June 12, 2016, 08:13:00 AM »
So last year, I'm fishing the willows at East Fork.  The willows there are really thick, you can't walk along the bank, just from opening to opening.  It's early, the sun isn't in the valley yet.  On the other side of the creek, maybe 10 feet away, a coyote comes along looking down in the water, moving from hole to hole.  I thought, that's cool.  The next morning, he shows up on my side of the creek, popping out of a hole maybe 4 or 5 feet to my right.  I ask him, in a strong voice (?) "What's up Mr. Coyote"?  He disappears back into the willow, I look back to see where he's gone.  He sneaks around me to the other side and is running off with a fish he pulled off my stringer.  Juked!  I wonder how many tourists' pockets have been picked by Wiley!   

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Wildlife?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 12:05:55 PM »
I've never had anything stolen right in front of me like that but I have heard and seen pictures of bears walking the shore line taking whatever they wanted from stringers.

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 12:36:10 PM »
There was a group of 3 bears at Lake Mary that would run the fishermen off and then take the stringers. Hillarious!
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

Still Mostly Spinning

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 12:55:12 PM »
2 years ago we had bears in the campsite at Eastfork in the day.  I saw one walking off with a box of Cheerios and heard of another eating a citronella candle.  I get them on my game camera most nights.  I fish with bear spray now.  The ranger told me there are like 8 bears in the Long Valley.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 02:26:54 PM »
Similar story as bj and Gary mentioned with 3 bears at Lower Virginia Lakes running off the bait fishermen and eating the fish right off the stringers, leaving just the fish heads!  Priceless!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 07:10:00 AM »
2 of those bears have been hit by cars in the last 2 months.
The Creek is Waiting...

Still Mostly Spinning

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 10:50:21 AM »
Damn
That would make a hella thump to hit a bear with a car.  Might even mess up a compact good.  Black bear on a dark road would be pretty much invisible.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »
There is a lot of wildlife that few ever see, so consider yourself lucky.  We had visited for 30+ years and gphad never seen a bear.  Now that we have a summer cabin in the canyon, we have about seen it all - Bear, Coyote, Fox, Skunk, Racoon, Marmot, Mule Deer, Mountain Lion and about every breed of squirrel and chipmunk. Last year we saw more coyote during the day than ever before...one was even running down the road.
The creek is waiting...

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 06:55:55 AM »
I believe both were hit during the day. The first one around Memorial day was killed  the second one was over Memorial Day during the day and was injured but ran off ,Fish and game were trying to find it . People drive way to fast on that road.
The Creek is Waiting...

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 05:52:02 PM »
At the Lower Horse Corral today, within a 90 minute period we watched a weasel bound around the meadow, a bear amble through the woods, and a bald eagle fly up the creek. It's great to be back!

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 02:37:04 PM »
How long are you going to be up there Ms. Beldingi?
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 03:35:30 PM »
How long are you going to be up there Ms. Beldingi?

Just until the 27th. A quick 'emergency' trip.