Author Topic: NF Big Pine Creek  (Read 2027 times)

littlefish

• Junior Creeker
  • California Native and Sierra lover for 60 years
    • View Profile
NF Big Pine Creek
« on: July 04, 2016, 02:06:01 PM »
Inflow from 2nd Lake.  Lots of water this year, lakes all full.  Fished up to 5th Lake; biting on everything.  Spent 1/2 a day breaking down illegal fire pits (some people still don't understand the "No Fires" sign near Black Lake junction).

Note to Hikers:  2 "widowmakers" at 2nd Lake Inlet camp.  Notified USFS 6_26_16.

http://s682.photobucket.com/user/littlefish805/media/NFBPC_6_23_16_zps3wpqhz3l.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: NF Big Pine Creek
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 03:41:53 PM »
beautiful!!!!

hadnt given it much thought, but i bet there are alot of widowmakers out there this year. 
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 03:50:37 PM »
Awesome! Know that spot where your feet are.  Glad to see water gushing, last time for me was 2013 and it was much dryer.  Sam Mack to the glacier, worse.  THANKS for the fire ring duty!!!!!!!!
Glad there's good people out there doing the right things.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 11:00:28 AM »
There are some great views of Temple Crag and the Palisade Glacier from the trail.  When backpacking in this area, I like to take a day to hike through Sam Mack Meadow and hike up to the base of the Glacier depending on the snow levels.  Another option is to take the side trail to Black Lake that offers the best views of the glaciers and the Sierra Crest before rejoining the main trail near Fourth Lake.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 06:11:01 AM »
Lon Chaney's old cabin is great, too. I was amazed how much  the glacier has receded in the past 30 years. I walked on it in '78, in '13 just went  to the headwall.  If anyone chooses to camp near the lakes, if you filter water from them, bring a  paper coffee filter to pre-filter or use a cloth, the glacial flour (why the lakes are that incredible turquoise) will do in many filters and be difficult even with those you can backflush , like  a Sawyer.