Author Topic: Memorial Day Weekend 2016  (Read 5495 times)

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Memorial Day Weekend 2016
« on: July 26, 2016, 05:01:02 PM »
This trek to Manter Meadow was a return trip of sorts. I had tried taking my Grandson David there four years ago when he was 6yrs old. We made it as far as the old cabin near where the trail enters the meadow but by then he was too pooped out so we just camped the night and hiked out the next morning without ever really going into the meadow. This past Memorial Day weekend at 10yrs old he was more than up for the hike.
My buddy Mike, Grandson David, me, wife Debbie,  and Charlies (taking the picture) daughter Sarah.

I always love to see Snow Plants along the trail.

I could hardly believe how big Manter Meadow was and I guess our timing was good because it was green with the creek running strong with lots of willing trout.

Reaching the south end of the meadow.

From near our camp site where Manter Creek exits the meadow on itís way to the South Fork of the Kern.

We set up camp and put the fly rods together. David has fly fished before sharing my rod with some instruction but this would be his first time with just a fly rod for himself. I walk down to the creek with him and since we were just below the meadow with plenty of pine trees around I showed him the roll cast and let him have at it. About 15 minutes later he caught the trout of the trip and the biggest trout Iíve seen come out of a little creek meadow. As you can see he was very excited and not taking any chances loosing the fish before he got his picture taken.

The next morning he was up before me and back down at the creek. He hasnít been over enthusiastic about fishing so you can imagine how proud I was to find him rolling and flipping flys by himself so early in the morning.

Not much else to say so Iíll throw some more pictures out here that I enjoyed.

The Tiki Warrior

All in all it was a great weekend and I know that I will be back to Manter Meadow again. It was a great place to go for an early season hike. Canít say enough how much I enjoy being a Granpa and seeing this little guy beginning to love the outdoors.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Memorial Day Weekend 2016
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 05:10:22 PM »
as always.... wonderful report!

that meadow is HUGE!   

love the snowflowers.. they are always such a treat:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 08:42:52 PM »
Nice report and pics. Thanks  Is that rock carved ?

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 09:31:55 PM »
Very cool Gary. My Grandpa started me out with a fly rod around 1948 at Lake Mary. Sometimes I wonder what he'd think now watching me with a fly bubble.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 06:55:13 AM »
WONDERFUL  :clap:
The Creek is Waiting...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 08:24:26 AM »
That really is a large meadow!  And that is a large trout for that little stream.  Your Grandson definitely has a good grip on the fish!  I bet heís hooked on fishing now!  Itís also nice to see heís taken up and doing well on a fly rod. :fishing4:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Lefluerfish

• Wildman
  • Junior Creeker
  • Still Good Once As I Once Was........
    • View Profile
    • One of many gifts from a Creek member!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 09:18:36 PM »
Nice report and pics. Thanks  Is that rock carved ?

fish pole-Impressive try for real conversation! 

No...The rock is not carved but natural.  Sits right next to the trail and across from the big meadow.  There are petroglyphs in the valley.  With it this warm this summer, you couldn't beg me to hike in there right now.  Maybe in the Fall, I can beg off from work and make it up....just have to get a block of time together.

Gary-you spoil us with your impressive posts about your frequent adventures on the trail with your family.  Good stuff.  You've always been a hiking and fishing fan.  Thanks for sharing. 

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 09:21:58 PM by Lefluerfish »
Traveling the world on the backs of a can of SPAM....with no fork.
Captain Avenger

littlefish

• Junior Creeker
  • California Native and Sierra lover for 60 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 07:00:39 PM »
Just a weird coincidence checking this board after a 5 day trail clearing trip to Manter Meadow, 7/21 thru 7/26.  No fishing for us this trip;
tree clearing and brushing in VERY HOT weather.  Beautiful place.

Lefluerfish

• Wildman
  • Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 07:52:42 AM »
Depending on what trails you worked on, betting lots of Buck Brush and trees down across the trails.  Which volunteer group were you part of.  Did you stay at the "group" camp site or the "horse camp" with the developed spring?

Volunteer groups are an essential part of the Forest effort to keep those trails maintained.  With the increase in fires throughout the state and reductions in individual Forest budgets , traditional methods of getting them cleared in a Wilderness area like trail crews, CCC crews or USFS crews not assigned to fires.  It is a tough (and very rewarding) way to spend some vacation time in the back country. 

Thanks for making a difference!
Captain Avenger

littlefish

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 09:58:19 AM »
Los Padres Forest Association from Santa Barbara with tons of pack support from the Backcountry Horsemen of California,
Los Padres Unit.  Stayed at Government Camp (aka Horse Camp) and worked trails 34E37, 34E37A, 34E08 and 34E12.  Nasty hot work but felt good with the results.  What fly worked best in Manter Creek?

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 11:21:18 AM »
It didn't seem to matter what fly we used. the trout were pretty aggressive. Because of my old eyes most everything I threw had a high visibility post. ::)

Like Lefluerfish said, thank you for your trail work. It is much appreciated by myself and many others who enjoy getting out there.

Lefluerfish

• Wildman
  • Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 05:54:18 PM »
Los Padres Forest Association from Santa Barbara with tons of pack support from the Backcountry Horsemen of California,
Los Padres Unit.  Stayed at Government Camp (aka Horse Camp) and worked trails 34E37, 34E37A, 34E08 and 34E12.  Nasty hot work but felt good with the results.  What fly worked best in Manter Creek?

Good people from BCH!  They will have a unit in this Year's Rose Parade. Sp.ent a lot of time in that camp over the years and helped put up a lot of meadow fence

I tie a 16 mini hopper in grey foam.....size 18 ant...Parachute Adams....size 18 Frenchie and one we call the PoleAx....basically dribbly and ragtag Walt's worm in dark Hare's Ear.  Don't look like much like it's namesake but we like to see it get torn to shreds by those trout that think they are sharks and attack fly after fly.  Like Gary, I am blind as a bat as well....all high viz flies.  Use my Tenkara with 14 foot line to cast from sight range of those little creek dwellers.  They are not picky.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 05:59:00 PM by Lefluerfish »
Captain Avenger

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 01:59:05 PM »
How long (time wise) is the drive off the main road to the trailhead? Road condition?
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Lefluerfish

• Wildman
  • Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 09:13:13 AM »
For me, almost an hour with a four horse stock trailer taking it slow after getting on the Sherman Pass road from Kernville..  From the west, take Mountain Road 99 to Sherman Pass Road to Cherry Hill Road. Follow signs to Big Meadow and Manter Meadow. Almost to the top of the pass.  Paved to dirt with parking for trailers at both North and South trailheads.  There were holding pens but not water when I was last there.
Captain Avenger

littlefish

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 01:24:11 PM »
Driving in  a heavily loaded Toyota Tacoma PU took 45 minutes from Sherman Pass Rd. to Manter Meadow South TH, approximately 15 miles.  Road condition very good, watch for cows on the road.  From Kernville 47 miles to TH.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 02:55:31 AM »
Sorry that I didn't reply Packer, I was in Bridgeport over the weekend but I looks like you got your answer.

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 10:30:37 AM »
Bridgeport....that's no fair! Hope you were up enjoying some fresh air and wetting some flies.

Meadow looks like a nice place. Was just considering making a trip there next spring. Just wondered if it was within a decent timeframe to get there from Ventura, or depending on the roads and travel time, if I could be near RC in the same driving hours.

So I feel they said it was about an hours drive out of Kernville. Correct?
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 11:26:50 AM »
Yes, you drive up the Kern River road to the bridge. We always called it the Johnson dale bridge but it is where the road leaves the river. Right before the bridge is the Sherman Pass road and that is the road that you take up to Big Meadow and the trail head. It's about 45 minutes once you turn onto the Sherman Pass road. The south trail head is the best one to hike. It's only about 3 miles to the meadow but figure at least 4mls to get around to the best camp sites and fishing.

I think this link should take you there. Let me know if it opens to Manter Meadow.
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=35.87911,-118.32193&z=12&t=T&marker0=37.36361%2C-118.39417%2CBishop%20CA&marker1=35.88217%2C-118.28314%2Cmanter%20meadow%20ca

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 11:30:41 AM »
Bridgeport wasn't about fishing this trip but more for the family. I've never been to Bodie so we went there for an afternoon and also took the canoe tour of the tufa at Mono lake. We had a great time.

Lefluerfish

• Wildman
  • Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 07:16:27 AM »
Is the water at Mono highly acidic or saline because of the Tufa formations?
Captain Avenger

littlefish

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 08:02:20 AM »
The MM South TH is 210 miles from Ventura.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 12:11:48 PM »
The MM South TH is 210 miles from Ventura.
I don't remember just what the numbers were but Mono Lake is more than twice as salty as the ocean.