Author Topic: Taking a 4 day trip next month... any suggestions?  (Read 7310 times)

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Taking a 4 day trip next month... any suggestions?
« on: May 30, 2012, 08:18:13 AM »
Going to take my new 4x4 truck out on its maiden voyage next month to the Sierras with the wife.  I'll probably dedicate one day towards meandering around the desert looking for new places I've never been to, and the rest of the time I plan on fly fishing.  I usually stay in the Bridgeport/Lee Vining area, but I think this time I'd like to stay in the Lone Pine / Big Pine area.  Any suggestions as far as location?  Will I have a good time at Big Pine Creek, or is some other place worth a little more driving this time of year?

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Taking a 4 day trip next month... any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 10:11:59 AM »
Big Pine Creek is a good choice.  Stream fishing at the campground was good for me, and as you fly fish, it should work well for you.  There are some large fish in the creek besides the normal stockers.  I always enjoy a hike up to Big Pine Lakes for some lake fishing and killer views.  I think it's one of the best hikes for scenery, and not bad fishing either.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 11:33:18 AM »
Sounds good.  I've never camped up in there.  I drove through last year and it looked decent.  I don't know how much I'd enjoy fishing in the campground.  I might hike up the creek a bit to get away from other anglers. 

I have zero nymphing experience, so I might stick with dry flies and lures.  Any particular patterns?  I tried looking it up on stevenojai but he doesn't have BPC listed. 

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 03:24:04 PM »
Parachute Adams, Elk Hair Caddis, Black Gnat, Flying Ants for dry flies.  Hares Ear Nymph, Pleasant Tail Nymph and the Hawk Special will work in the creek and the upper lakes.  Small spinners were working well too.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 09:55:47 AM »
Parachute Adams, Elk Hair Caddis, Black Gnat, Flying Ants for dry flies.  Hares Ear Nymph, Pleasant Tail Nymph and the Hawk Special will work in the creek and the upper lakes.  Small spinners were working well too.

I'm only going up for 3 days, so I probably won't venture the hike.  Not enough acclimatizing.   I will hike up the creek a bit, though. 

I have most of those flies already.  I might pick up a few more.  Any specific areas along BPC that are worth checking out?

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 06:02:37 PM »
I know about altitude sickness, so I too take it easy for a few days before any big hikes.

Upstream and downstream of the campgrounds works.  There are a lot of pull offs down the hill where you will find some decent pools of water, some full of fish.  The pond near the Glacier store is a good spot.  Just downstream of the first falls has some great pools.  If you hike up 2 miles to the Actor Lon Chaney Cabin, the creek slows down and some wonderful opportunities there.

Some great 4-wheeling close by. Coyote Canyon, Coyote Flats is right next door.  Take Sugar Loaf Rd off of Glacier Lodge Rd. and go as far as you want.  You can actually drive to a couple of decent lakes (Bows), and drive within 1 miles of a Golden and Cutt lakes.  You can get a sierra slam before lunch up there, hardly any pressure.  Lots of creeks up there too with Baker Creek my favorite.  Lots of Mines and Mills too.  I would only go if you really want to break in that new truck of yours.   :lol2:   Otherwise, stick to Big Pine Creek.

Lots to do there.

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 06:18:47 PM »
I know about altitude sickness, so I too take it easy for a few days before any big hikes.

Upstream and downstream of the campgrounds works.  There are a lot of pull offs down the hill where you will find some decent pools of water, some full of fish.  The pond near the Glacier store is a good spot.  Just downstream of the first falls has some great pools.  If you hike up 2 miles to the Actor Lon Chaney Cabin, the creek slows down and some wonderful opportunities there.

Some great 4-wheeling close by. Coyote Canyon, Coyote Flats is right next door.  Take Sugar Loaf Rd off of Glacier Lodge Rd. and go as far as you want.  You can actually drive to a couple of decent lakes (Bows), and drive within 1 miles of a Golden and Cutt lakes.  You can get a sierra slam before lunch up there, hardly any pressure.  Lots of creeks up there too with Baker Creek my favorite.  Lots of Mines and Mills too.  I would only go if you really want to break in that new truck of yours.   :lol2:   Otherwise, stick to Big Pine Creek.

Lots to do there.

Awesome hawkins, thanks for the advice. 

How is Baker creek?  I saw that on a map but I've never been there.  Any good fishing opportunities? 

Hmmm, I just went to reserve my site and it looks like both campgrounds are booked.  I don't know if there are any first come first served sites.  I might need to camp somewhere else.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 06:29:00 PM by Brewskier »

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 08:49:34 PM »
...Some great 4-wheeling close by. Coyote Canyon, Coyote Flats is right next door.  Take Sugar Loaf Rd off of Glacier Lodge Rd. and go as far as you want.  You can actually drive to a couple of decent lakes (Bows), and drive within 1 miles of a Golden and Cutt lakes.  ...

Hawk,
Is Sugar Loaf Rd the "back" way to Coyote Flats and Funnel and Rocky Bottom Lakes? We've gone in from West Bishop, and I know that the roads continue south to Baker Creek, but don't know if it's passable up from Sugar Loaf Road out of Big Pine.

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 04:24:59 PM »
OldSage, Brewskier
Yes its the back way but considering hes staying in Big Pine Creek area its nice and close.  But you have a point; a better access road is from west Bishop on the Coyote Valley Rd.  Look out for the road markers if you want to go to Funnel and Rocky Bottom lakes.  Use discretion as it can be wet this time of year.  There are creeks to cross and wet meadows to pass.  My favorite time to visit is in the fall.

For Baker Creek, follow Baker Creek Rd to the end of the road.  Nice level camping spots and good fishing spot.  It ponds up here before cascading down the mountain to Big Pine.  I saw fly fishermen plying their craft here on my last trip.  Great views from here!  You can also fish Baker Creek down near Big Pine but never tried it myself.

To Funnel & Rocky Bottom Lakes

Funnel Lake Rocky Bottom Lake is just over the hill

To Parker Creek

High Sierra

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 05:10:20 PM »
Another place to put on my to do list.  Thanks!

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 08:52:15 AM »
It looks like there is a "walk in" campground up Big Pine Creek, it may be available and probably free as well.  Maybe like Horseshoe Meadow, with only a short walk to your site.

I'm thinking of hitting that area as well in the next week or so on my way north.

John

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 09:45:59 AM »
Brewskier
If you want to try nymphing, plenty of on line help.
I suggest you have a good indicator on, most likely a Elk Hair caddis or there is on the market a small "bubble" type floating indicator that works nicely.
Follow the instructions and you will get fish.
Have fun fishing and taking your new 4X4 out for some fun.

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 12:44:46 PM »
Brewskier
If you want to try nymphing, plenty of on line help.
I suggest you have a good indicator on, most likely a Elk Hair caddis or there is on the market a small "bubble" type floating indicator that works nicely.
Follow the instructions and you will get fish.
Have fun fishing and taking your new 4X4 out for some fun.

Thanks Salim.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 01:59:32 PM »
Nymphing is a lot of fun.  Only been doing it the last 2-3 years but is a very effective method of catching trout.  I always use a dry fly as my indicator and sometimes add a split shot to keep my wet fly down.  Lot of times my indicator fly gets hit first, and sometimes I get a double hook-up, especially in the back-country.  Fun times!

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 02:15:13 PM »
Nymphing is a lot of fun.  Only been doing it the last 2-3 years but is a very effective method of catching trout.  I always use a dry fly as my indicator and sometimes add a split shot to keep my wet fly down.  Lot of times my indicator fly gets hit first, and sometimes I get a double hook-up, especially in the back-country.  Fun times!

Only tried it a few times.  Never had an indicator attached, though.  What am I supposed to look for?  If it bobs under the water or stalls for a second? 

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 02:22:20 PM »
I've had great success without an indicator.  Just drift your nymph down into pools, let it drift with the current, be ready for a grab.  Beadhead prince, pheasant tails, hare's ears are great choices along with the drys already mentioned.  I've found the bigger nymphs #12 or #10 work quite well.  I don't think you really need a size 28 midge to be successful.

I like a parachute adams or para black ants too.

John

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 02:23:16 PM »
I've had great success without an indicator.  Just drift your nymph down into pools, let it drift with the current, be ready for a grab.  Beadhead prince, pheasant tails, hare's ears are great choices along with the drys already mentioned.  I've found the bigger nymphs #12 or #10 work quite well.  I don't think you really need a size 28 midge to be successful.

I like a parachute adams or para black ants too.

John

I can't really feel the bite, though.  That's the problem I have with nymphing. 

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 05:15:38 PM »
You prolly shouldn't fool around with Nymphing the small Sierra streams,  especially if you can't feel the bite.  For proper nymphing you need to get a good drift and most Sierra stream are pocket water.  I was trained on bass fishing,  where you often don't feel the bite.  Anything you can't explain,  pull back!  Not too hard if there are a bunch of trees behind you,  but if the line gets heavy,  or if you are drifting a nymph and it suddenly stop drifting,  set the hook.  Like I said one other time,  forget about strike indicators.   One thing you might want to do if you are having problems feeling the bite,  go up toward Chickenfoot or Gems or Ruby Lakes,   and fish the creeks going into and/or out of the lakes.  This year,  July will be a good time.  Those creeks are packed with brookies,  a good training ground for figuring out what the bite is like.
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 08:19:19 PM »
I think the type of 4x4 truck you have will dictate where you can go. If its anything the size of a F-150 or bigger you're going to be verryyy limited to what trials you can take, just to big. Ive tried and it sucked. Tried Laurell lakes with an F-150 and i would never do it again, and I wouldnt tell anyone to do it in that big of a truck either. My small 4x4 Ranger on the other hand can go anywhere any day, what ever the condition of the trail. People forget to think about the size of the truck when they buy a 4x4. Ive found a lot of cool off road trails to take to some sweet fishing spots, but they are all verryy tight trails.
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 09:48:31 PM »
I think the type of 4x4 truck you have will dictate where you can go. If its anything the size of a F-150 or bigger you're going to be verryyy limited to what trials you can take, just to big. Ive tried and it sucked. Tried Laurell lakes with an F-150 and i would never do it again, and I wouldnt tell anyone to do it in that big of a truck either. My small 4x4 Ranger on the other hand can go anywhere any day, what ever the condition of the trail. People forget to think about the size of the truck when they buy a 4x4. Ive found a lot of cool off road trails to take to some sweet fishing spots, but they are all verryy tight trails.

I'm in a 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x.  It's a midsize 4x4.  It's definitely smaller than an F-150, but quite a bit bigger than a Ranger.  My brother has a 1st generation Tacoma, which is smaller and lighter than my truck, but not by that much.  My truck is 2.5 inches wider, 2.5 inches taller, and about 700-800 pounds heavier than his truck (but I have a more powerful engine, so the weight doesn't matter too much). I don't think I'll have too much trouble. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:09:18 AM by Brewskier »

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2012, 11:52:47 PM »
Your truck should do the job. I drove my F-150 super cab long bed into Funnel Lake.
It was a tricky situation, but we got in and out safely.

I won't be doing it again.

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 04:45:38 AM »
Oh yeah Sarge. That last hairpin after the airstrip and just before the lake sometimes can be a 6 point turn...?
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 09:11:24 AM »
Your truck should do the job. I drove my F-150 super cab long bed into Funnel Lake.
It was a tricky situation, but we got in and out safely.

I won't be doing it again.

OldSarge

I have a very short bed (less than 5'), which is great because it will make the trails easier.  I didn't want a long bed, simply because of the narrow turns on the trails that I will be facing. 

The curb weight of my truck is about 4500 pounds, which is a little heavier than I would like.  An F-150 is about 1400 pounds heavier than that, though.  My brother's 1st gen Tacoma is about 3700 pounds, which would be ideal.  Hopefully the larger engine on mine will make the weight a non-issue on the trails.