Author Topic: New trip report  (Read 1795 times)

Still Mostly Spinning

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Rock Creek's Message Board
New trip report
« on: August 08, 2016, 03:00:13 PM »
Just got back home San Diego East County 8/8.  Great trip.  No issues with truck, camper or anything else.  Rolled right in to our number 2 camp site at the top of East Fork.  Killed them as usual at the willows  bait fishing for the required trout dinner. 
Best fish maybe 2 lbs.  New setup, see fishing posts for details.  Fished the lake on Wednesday 8/3.  I'm told it was the day after they stocked the lake, because at first light, we had a wide open bite right at the outflow.  The trout were boiling on some kind of fly.  I've had bites like this on saltwater, but never on a lake.  Spinners, spoons, whatever, all catch and release, but maybe 50 fish in 2 hours.  Plus, just me and one other guy in a kayak on it.  Righteous.   
Great trip, finished with 3 day buzz at the Bluesapollusa in Mammoth.  Next year, skip the Mammoth part and have 3 more days camping.
Oh, also.  Went off trail around Heart Lake to the back side of Box Lake and out past Big Fish Lake.  I've got serious plans for next year.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: New trip report
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 07:47:31 AM »
holy cow...sounds like great fishing!!

I love it when all of the equipment works:)

had to giggle.. .cause the blues at mammoth have to be the total opposite of camping and fishing!  what a mind spin:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 01:24:47 PM »
Awesome! 

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 08:49:41 AM »
50 fish in 2 hours... That's almost a fish every 2 minutes! Not bad. I was in Mammoth for Bluesa as well. Brought 3 rods and never wet a line. Different type trip altogether. Hope I have the same bite when I get back up in late September.