Author Topic: Bait fishing  (Read 2182 times)

Still Mostly Spinning

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Rock Creek's Message Board
Bait fishing
« on: August 08, 2016, 03:06:28 PM »
New rig this year.  4 lb test, only cause it's too much hassle to tie 2 lb.  #8 long shank hook, but a #10 would be better.  King mealworms and the smallest split shot.  These mealworms are available at pet stores for feeding reptiles, etc.  This is so much better than night crawlers, etc.  Will be approved by  any native, brook, brown, etc and stockers as well.  I know if you're a fly guy (vegan), you don't approve.  Just cut the line and leave the hook in.  Same difference.   
Cheers.

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: Bait fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 06:05:53 PM »
Thanks!
Were you fishing from a boat? I usually have to at least a 1/4 oz sinker to get it off the shallow water shelf (unless I wade out in my flip flops). Just curious how you got it out with the small slip shot. Thanks again

Still Mostly Spinning

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 03:55:47 PM »
This is mainly my stream approach.  I'm not much for fishing the lakes if I can't use iron.  Rock Creek has fish anywhere the water isn't a complete washing machine, but I'm looking for slow water.  I think the best fishing on Rock Creek is the willows section of lower East Fork.  I have others.  The easy approach is with waders.  Other access may be possible, but it's a maze through the willows.  If you're doing it right, you'll lose a lot of tackle drifting into structure, casting into trees, etc.  I just make cast and drift and repeat.  If you keep the drifts short, you'll gut hook less fish.  If the hook isn't in the mouth, just cut it off and leave it in.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 05:46:03 AM »
Let's see, this year's October list now to include King mealworms.  Thanks, SMS. 
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Still Mostly Spinning

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 09:53:14 PM »
Interesting trout.  Hybrid?  My favorite hole above East Fork.