Author Topic: RCL Bait Fishing  (Read 3652 times)

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
RCL Bait Fishing
« on: August 19, 2016, 08:03:20 AM »
Headin up to Rock Creek Lake in a few weeks. I can always hold my own in the creek, but for the lazy morning bait 'n wait fishing at the lake I don't know what they're hitting on.
Cheese? Eggs? Powerbait? Gulp bait? Colors? Flavors? Etc.
Thanks all

Mikelpikel

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: RCL Bait Fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 02:25:38 PM »
Can't go wrong with a Gulp mousetail, pink body/white head, floated about 18" off the bottom, above a sliding sinker and Carolina keeper (prefer the Carolina keeper so you can adjust the depth quickly if you're not getting bites).  I'm catchin' fish with those when nobody's getting bit. Rainbow Gulp works well to.   I like to hook a bobber on my line right above the closest eyelet to my reel so I can see the bite without them feeling the tension. You probably know that though.

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 03:33:47 PM »
Thanks for the mouse tail detail, but what kind of hook do you use on those? J-hook?
I do know the bobber trick but thank you anyway!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 03:20:07 PM »
Just back from Rock Creek Lake and the fishing was pretty good for most folks.  For fly fishermen, the top fly was……………Drum roll please………….the California Mosquito.  Worked both for Rock Creek Lake (Size 14) and Little Lakes Valley (Size 16 to 18).  Also working was the Gray Hackle Yellow (14), Hoppers and Black Ants.  Best action was between 7-9am and after 3-4pm.  Anytime in the backcountry.  For action during the day at the lake try a streamer and sink it about 15 to 20 feet and hang on!  Caught fish all day.

I don’t baitfish, but according to the resort, Night crawlers was number one this year so far.  Orange glitter, pink mice tails, pink powerworm, pink glitter powerbait, garlic powerbait are also taking a lot of trout.

They dumped a load of them Hot Springs Rainbows recently and there fun to wrestle with (ave. 2 lbs. plus).  Have fun…….
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 03:31:20 PM »
A couple of suggestions...the weed beds on the bottom have grown deeper by this time of year, you may want to use a little bit longer leader, 3 to 4 feet should work. I've had success with light weight worm hooks, as well as #14 egg hooks with mice tails.
Have fun.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 08:39:16 PM »
Just got back from the lake.  Tried every known bait bottom fishing with a long leader and was not successful.  Was very successful using a bobber with a mosquito fly and also with night crawlers.  Caught a nice 2lb rainbow on Sunday.  So as others have said, top fishing may be your best bet this time of the year.
The creek is waiting...

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 08:18:16 AM »
Don't give up on bait fishing yet...I spent a few hours up there yesterday with a couple of fishing buddies, using mice tails (pink & white), about 4 feet off the bottom, we all caught lots of nice trout...

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 04:29:31 PM »
Headin up again late this month, what baits are working on the lake this year? Best locations?
Thanks again all!! :fishing3:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 10:37:50 AM »
Try powerbait or nightcrawlers for bait caster's.   Thomas Bouyants still the best for lures.   Fly/bubble combo, try Wooly Buggers or Matukas in olive is my go to setup.  Lot of large Rainbows coming out of Rock Creek Lake.   Caught several myself.

If you fish the creek, salmon eggs work good.  Creek flows are down and very fishable. Good fishing!   :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Jmcclure83

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 11:36:57 AM »
Try powerbait or nightcrawlers for bait caster's.   Thomas Bouyants still the best for lures.   Fly/bubble combo, try Wooly Buggers or Matukas in olive is my go to setup.  Lot of large Rainbows coming out of Rock Creek Lake.   Caught several myself.

If you fish the creek, salmon eggs work good.  Creek flows are down and very fishable. Good fishing!   :fishing3:

Any specific color or scents on the powerbaits?
Thanks!

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 01:58:28 PM »
Rainbow and pink are always good,  and even though I don't bait fish much,  it does seem that power bait has enough scent on it's own...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 06:14:03 PM »
According to Jim king,  lime Green and Yellow Powerbait were killing them last week.  Also said Mice Tails were good.  Just about everyone was catching their limits at the lake so have fun out there.  :fishing3:

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 09:07:10 AM »
I saw hundreds of fish at the lake last week and very few were over 12". Some float tubers were catching 50+  each with  sinking lines with green or black buggers, matukas, etc. but is this the new planting size? There were a few 5-6 lbs but not much in between.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 05:46:28 PM »
CDFW has been stocking the smaller stockers for a few years now. The big Rainbows are from Desert Springs Trout Farm, OR.

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 09:54:53 AM »
We just got back. Mousetails (orange with yellow head/Brown with red head) worked great pulled behind clear bubble after letting it sink a while. Caught a 5lb 1oz, 4lb 6oz, 4lb 2 oz, and a 2lb 6 oz using this technique. The best big fish trip ever for me.
Try not to jerk the hook set. Instead, just slightly sweep the rod when it loads up with the fish. They weren't taking it aggressively at all. I used a 7-1/2 ft ultralight spinning rod so the sweep was much easier.
"Don't get no better than this!"

Still Mostly Spinning

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Rock Creek's Message Board
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 12:52:03 PM »
How great is that!  Are those big ones orange flesh?  I think those are the best eating. Are you fishing from shore?  Any particular location?  I know those end of the season fish really want to play!

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 01:09:19 PM »
Yes....all the bigger ones was pink meat. Two of them so much that it resembles a salmon. Haven't got them o nthe grill/smoker yet, but just know they will be excellent.
"Don't get no better than this!"