Author Topic: Cottonwood Lakles  (Read 2431 times)

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Cottonwood Lakles
« on: September 08, 2016, 11:52:21 AM »
Anyone been to the Cottonwoods lately? We usually catch several 12-16" goldens in Lakes 4 and 5 but last fall we didn't see a sign of any fish in either lake. We caught a few small ones near the outlet of Lake 3 but something's "fishy".I heard awhile back that DFW was thinking about killing off the lakes to get rid of the hybreds and and re-introduce pure goldens but never heard anything more about it.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Cottonwood Lakles
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 06:48:43 AM »
I was up at Horseshoe Meadows in mid-August but took the New Army Pass Trail to Long Lake and then fished down to the South Fork Lakes.  Fishing was slow but steady with 7” to 12” range but all Goldens, so no complaints.  Did see plenty of fly fishermen heading to the Cottonwoods where the trails combine but never did not hear how they did.

The list of high country lakes that have had fish removed in order to create habitat for the mountain yellow legged frogs continues to grow.  But to my best of knowledge the Cottonwood Lakes are safe at this time.   :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 07:42:54 AM »
Thanks WSH. Those upper lakes sure looked dead. My first golden was at South Fork Lake many years ago. I caught 39 on the same AdamS fly and one on a Kastmaster. Quite a day.
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 08:57:16 AM »
Wow, that’s one for the books bj!  I started off with an Elk Hair Caddis, then a light Cahill, then switched to a Parachute Adams and was getting a few hits.  But I really started hitting my stride when I switched to a California Mosquito at South Fork Lakes. :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 10:49:44 AM »
I was up there for the opening of the season on July 1.  Fishing was fantastic at both South Fork Lakes, as well as Cottonwoods 1, 2, 3, and 4.  The six of us in our group caught (and released) close to 500 fish over two days.  My buddy got one close to 19" out of lake 4.

Blue damselfly is the hot ticket!  Parachute Adams, and Sierra Bright Dots work too.  The blue damselfly hatch was going off, and the fish fly out of the water to attack them.

Fishing was way better than last year, but we had two days of rain last July 1.

John

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 03:03:25 PM »
Glad to hear there's still nice fish in Lake 4. They must have already bedded down for the winter last October.
Hardrock

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 06:58:36 AM »
Yes, I have friend and his buddies that go up in October, they hardly ever catch a thing.  I keep telling him you have to go in July, when the damselflies are swarming, and the fish are in a frenzy. 

I got a really nice fish from the outlet creek/pond from Lake 4.  I snuck up on them, and got a nice 15" golden.  There were several other large fish in there as well.

John
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 07:00:15 AM by John Harper »

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 02:01:52 PM »
Yeah, we've done much better in July. The outlet at 4 does have some nice fish. That's where the DFW sets some their traps for eggs. I got in there early one year and they were hauling out eggs. Although the season hadn't opened yet, they let me fish in Lake 5 as there were no traps there.
Hardrock