Author Topic: Great Britain Trip  (Read 2553 times)

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Great Britain Trip
« on: September 18, 2016, 10:58:59 PM »
My wife and I took a trip for 14 days at the end of July thru August this year to Great Britain. We met my son who flew in from Japan (where he is in his 3rd year of teaching English in the JET program) to travel with us. We visited many sites in England and Scotland. Here are just a few pictures:

I have always wanted to visit Stonehenge.

Of course I couldn't resist going into the Orvis Fly Shop located in Bath.

Edinburgh Castle overlooking the city of Edinburgh, Scotland. Simply fantastic. We took a tour of the castle.

Looking down at Edinburgh from the castle. The body of water is the 'Firth of Forth'.

Glencoe, in the Scottish Highlands. We also visited Loch Ness (Nessie sends her best). Unfortunately I didn't get to do any fishing!

Kensington Palace and gardens in London (we also took a tour inside the palace).

Trafalgar Square in London.

On the grounds of Christchurch college in Oxford, England.

The actual student dining hall at Christchurch college. You may recognize the dining hall from one of the Harry Potter movies which was filmed here.

Blenheim Palace, outside of Oxford, where Winston Churchill was born and raised.

Of course we visited all the other standard tourist destinations in London - Big Ben, the Tower of London, the Tower Bridge, Buckingham Palace (Wow, what a tour!), Victoria & Albert Museum, Hyde Park, Harrod's, the Churchill War Rooms, The British Museum and the Portobello Market. Even made in to Greenwich, England on a boat trip up the Thames River. It was our first trip to Great Britain and we thoroughly enjoyed it, but especially getting to spend time with our son who we hadn't seen in person for three years!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 10:19:32 AM by Claremont Dude »
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Great Britain Trip
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 09:58:40 AM »
Pip-Pip, nice trip!
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 02:06:59 PM »
hey.... are you following me?   :)

if you loved your trip even a tenth as much as i loved mine, you had a grand time!

good to see your pics!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

RockToad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 02:46:15 PM »
Fantastic pictures!!!  I was there about 15 years ago and saw many of the same places.  Wow!!!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 02:57:15 PM »
Great Trip!  Hope to go there someday.  Our family is planning an Germany, Austria and Switzerland trip hopefully next year.  Been to Germany before and that was great.   
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 05:10:51 PM »
How was the food?I've heard mixed reports from others. Probably no taco shops?

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 05:15:53 PM »
How was the food?I've heard mixed reports from others. Probably no taco shops?

The food was great!! From pasties, to meat pies, fish & chips, full English Breakfast, and even surprisingly enjoyed Haggis in Scotland. The one thing that surprised me was that you can't get iced tea almost anywhere. If you ask for it they look at you like you are crazy!! However, that was easily remedied by just getting a "pint"! And actually, we did have Mexican food one night for dinner in Edinburgh. It wasn't half bad.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 05:40:30 PM by Claremont Dude »
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 06:27:14 PM »
Great shots!
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 07:57:56 AM »
I visited Stonehenge as a kid in the 1970's.  Back then, you could walk around the stones, touch them, sit on them.  Looks like they stopped people from doing that, since it looks like all grass grown in around them now.  Used to be decomposed granite around them.   Thanks for sharing.

John

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 10:17:30 AM »
I visited Stonehenge as a kid in the 1970's.  Back then, you could walk around the stones, touch them, sit on them.  Looks like they stopped people from doing that, since it looks like all grass grown in around them now.  Used to be decomposed granite around them.   Thanks for sharing.

John

Yes, there is only a path around them now. They recently built a visitor center about 1/2 mile away. That's where you park and get bussed in. Actually, I think it is nicer that way. You can actually get pictures of Stonehenge without too many people in the way.

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 12:50:33 PM »
a bit late but great report and pictures