Author Topic: French Drains?  (Read 1408 times)

StephenH

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
French Drains?
« on: September 21, 2016, 01:20:12 AM »
i need any professional drain contractor who can give me few tips about french drains, and also wants to know the difference between about french drains and other normal drains.

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: French Drains?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 08:22:25 AM »
As I recall from helping my landscaping buddy, french drains are usually perforated drainpipe, bedded in gravel, sometime with a barrier sock to keep sediments from intruding on the pipe.   They work well for draining low spots in your yard, since the water can percolate into the pipe.  They can also be used like "leach lines" to diffuse water away into well draining soil.

John

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 02:26:34 PM »
french drains generally run below the ground surface..    they are basically perferated pipe laid in rocks...   we placed ours here at the base on the back side of our retaining wall.    the water can seep down thru the soil behind the wall... 'leak' into the gravel area, flow into the perferated pipe, and then flow downhill to the end of the wall where it comes out.     this way the water does not build up behind the wall.

a regular drain would have one opening where the water can flow into...and then it is carried to where it comes out

a french drain lays basically horizontally, is perferated the entire lenght so water can flow into it the entire length, and be carried away to where it comes out.

i guess an odd example would be your rain gutter... it is open all along the top, and water can flow into the rain gutter its entire length, and is carried away to its exit point...  similar to a french drain,

the down spout has one opening where water flows in....     the rest of the spout has solid skin... as in a 'regular' drain

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 02:30:19 PM by Little Hardrock »
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

longnstrait

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 08:45:34 AM »
Make sure the perforated section of pipe faces DOWN! Seems counterintuitive to some But that is the correct installation.