Author Topic: Mystery Location  (Read 19378 times)

Scott

Re: Mystery Location
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 09:07:51 AM »
Looks a little like Tioga Lake with all that snow?

Sierraslam

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 09:16:52 AM »
I'm going with Saddlebag too.  Looks like you across the dam.

Sierra Girl

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 09:17:53 AM »
Is it in the Bishop Creek back-country area?

Sierraslam

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 09:35:22 AM »
Hmm. If it is Saddlebag, then you would of had to of driven all the way up the pass in May of 2011? Now I'm not so sure.

flyGirl

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 09:37:22 AM »
Are you standing on the frozen lake wshawkins?

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 09:52:40 AM »
Hmm. If it is Saddlebag, then you would of had to of driven all the way up the pass in May of 2011? Now I'm not so sure.

I'm still standing by my guess of Saddlebag.  That looks like Dore pass in the upper right hand corner.  I've been to the top of that monster.  Talk about the hard way of getting into the Oneida lake area.

High Sierra

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 12:40:59 PM »
I'm still standing by my guess of Saddlebag.  That looks like Dore pass in the upper right hand corner.  I've been to the top of that monster.  Talk about the hard way of getting into the Oneida lake area.

Was the pass even open then?  I know they were working on the pass in May of last year but I think it snowed in May also.  Knowing the Hawk, he found some way to get there if that is indeed the answer. 

We need another hint Hawk!

Sierra Girl

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 01:51:33 PM »
He could have been up in Tioga Pass in late May.  The date you guys read as Tioga Pass opening is when traffic to/from Yosemite is open, not locals driving up to Ellery or Tioga Lake.  Every year we get maybe 2 weeks or more to play in the snow or fish the lakes & streams until they open up the pass and Yosemite crowds start visiting.  So yes, the “Hawk” could have snuck up there with the locals during that time.  But it also snowed in late May I believe and officials had to close it down for a few days.  They also always plow the road to Saddlebag Lake last, so you would have to hike it the get there.

But is that Saddlebag Lake?  Looks too small to me?  Snow sure does smooth out the bumps so who knows!

I agree with High Sierra, we could use another clue or picture?

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 05:59:59 PM »
Some of you are closing in on the location.  Sure helps to have “Detective” Sierra Girl to know the roads being a local and all.  :lol2:   Another hint coming tomorrow that shows the man-made structures there which should leave no doubt where this is at and what lake is there.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Sierra Girl

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 10:42:48 PM »
Sometimes it pays dividends to live close to Eastern Sierra, such as knowing when a certain road opens up before the media broadcast it to the world.  Yeah, it's all good!   :fishing3:

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2012, 07:20:30 AM »
Ellery Lake?  I am digging through photo archives and am shooting blanks at myself.  I've been to Ellery and I remember some structures...vaguely   :puzzled:.  The altitude works and if the road wasn't plowed quite that high when Hawk was there it might fit the mileage.

Eastern end of Ellery???
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:25:49 AM by saudust »
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2012, 08:14:22 AM »
Saudust, it does look a lot like Ellery Lake.  Not right but you’re getting close. 
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

flyGirl

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2012, 08:53:35 AM »
Is that the hint Hawk?  It's close to Ellery Lake?  How about a another picture?   :thanks:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2012, 09:07:46 AM »

I think this next picture should clarify the location.  It also shows about how deep the snow was last year.  I posted this picture last year too.  Just an amazing year for snowfall.  Can you guess now where this was taken?

Sierra Girl

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2012, 09:11:06 AM »
Is that cabins buried in the snow?  That's a lot of snow!  Tioga Pass Resort?

sierraslugger

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2012, 09:19:54 AM »
I think your standing in the parking lot of the saddlebag lake overlooking the general store.

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2012, 09:33:46 AM »
 :twothumbs: I also say Saddlebag
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Scott

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2012, 09:38:40 AM »
Boy, that's a lot of snow!  Right to the top of the building!  I would hate to be the one who had to dig out from there.  So you think that's the resort store at Saddlebag lake? 

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2012, 09:42:02 AM »
Fun thread, wshawkins.  Thanks for the entertainment!  :clap:
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

flyGirl

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2012, 09:59:09 AM »
Oh I see it now!  That was some winter we had last year!  That was a lot of fun Hawk!  Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:39:46 PM by flyGirl »

Sierra Girl

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2012, 10:40:16 AM »
One of my favorite places too.  Was up there on at least 1/2 dozen times last year on day trips with my older brother fishing the inlet.  Still not 100% sure that's Saddlebag Lake, but that building does kinda look like the resort store.  Waiting on Hawk's response to this and others.    :goodpost:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2012, 12:02:23 PM »
Yes, I see the secret location is out!  Sierraslugger nailed it, as I was standing about where the parking lot is at Saddlebag Lake overlooking the general store.  Brewskier somehow recognized Dore Pass and got the area right too.  Sierraslam also guessed right and Tex got it right after the last picture.

The snow was so high I did not see the locked gate before the parking lot, completely covered!  It was an incredible site when I got my first look over Saddlebag Lake.  Funny part was that I was not alone.  A couple was cross-country skiing ahead of me. 

Saddlebag Lake Resort opens on June 9th this year according to their web site, so take advantage of their water taxis service if so inclined.

Saddlebag Lake and the Saddlebag Lake Resort

Scott

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2012, 12:36:32 PM »
Funny how a little snow can camouflage a know location! :lol:  I spend a week tent camping there last last summer and still did not recognize the spot.  Fun thread. :clap: :clap:

flyGirl

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2012, 12:46:56 PM »
So whats the story on how you got up there?  Was the pass open early?  How long did it take to hike up and back on snowshoes.

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2012, 01:09:11 PM »
I knew it!

I guessed it correctly back in post #23, but in post #33 hawkins said we were "getting close", so I had no idea at that point.