Author Topic: Mystery Location  (Read 20280 times)

Sierra Girl

Re: Mystery Location
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2012, 01:59:23 PM »
FlyGirl, I asked around and yes, the Tioga road was open up for about 4-5 days in late May.  The road clearing crew got to about the Tioga Lake area when it snowed again and shut down the pass for another 1-2 weeks.  Like I said, usually only locals go up and it attracts mostly the extreme skierís crowd or the curious.  The Hawk probably has some local friends up there Iím thinking! :shoveling:

Itís a big deal to get the Tioga Pass open as early as possible as it brings a profusion of much needed cash to the area.  Even with all the snow we had last year, I believe they still opened up the pass through Yosemite for good in early June.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2012, 03:38:36 PM »
Brewskier, your first guess of 20 lakes basin was close too.  I donít know if your second guess of Saddlebag Lake was luck or you really recognized Dore Pass on the picture.  I tried to put some doubt in your mind but you stuck to your guess.   :clap: :clap:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

flyGirl

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2012, 04:05:17 PM »
So whats the story on how you got up there?  Was the pass open early?  How long did it take to hike up and back on snowshoes.

Curious how you hiked up to the lake?   :thanks:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2012, 04:22:37 PM »
FlyGirl,
I was in the June Lake area when a local told me about Tioga Pass opening.  I went up early the next morning because I knew a storm was due later in the week.  They plowed some of the Saddlebag Lake Road, so I did not have to hike the full distance.  Where I parked it was at least twice the height of my truck, really something to see. 

The pass was open to about the Tioga Pass Resort.  There were about 2 dozen cars up there already, so the word was out.  I watched the extreme skierís for a while as they hiked up the mountains and then skied down.  A lot of work for one run! 

I have the Snowshoes from MSR, super lightweight, easy to get on/off, easy adjustment on the straps and comeís with crampons.  I use my snowboard boots with them.  Has plenty of float plus I added flotation tails to mine.  I strap my snowboard to my pack and hike up with my poles, then ski down. 

Took about 1Ĺ hours to get to the lake and maybe 15-20 minutes to get down to my truck.  Itís a lot of fun coming down!   :yodel:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

High Sierra

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2012, 05:09:05 PM »
Entertaining thread as usual Hawk.  Had fun with this thread!   :thanks:

Sierraslam

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2012, 09:21:53 PM »
There is no way I'm the only one who is baffled. Someone gota feel me? Much love to all................
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:25:28 PM by Sierraslam »

Scott

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2012, 11:17:49 PM »
Not sure if they do it anymore but I spent a week in the winter at the Tioga Pass Resort about 10 years ago.  It was mainly for cross country skiers, but we had several extreme skiers in our group.   As a group we would head off on daily tours to Ellery Lake, past the ranger station in Yosemite, Bonnettville and down to Fantail Lake, just about anywhere you like as long as you had a buddy with you.  Went up to Saddlebag Lake twice in the week, and thatís starting from the Resort.  So I know itís doable.  We had guests in their early 60ís that made it up there without too much problems, a little slow perhaps.

The main group would stop at about the same location Hawk stopped at, but the extreme skiers went on to Conness Glacier and skied that for the day!  They also skied above Ellery Lake and above our cabins on Tioga Peak on different days.  Like Hawk said, a lot of work for one run but they loved it.

What was funny was we left early heading back to the resort and even though we were mile or two ahead of them they caught up to us and whipped by us on their skis and easily beat us back to the resort.  So I know if you can pick up enough speed coming down Saddlebag Lake Rd you just about make it to the resort.  If I can do it, just about anybody can do it, just take your time.

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2012, 11:21:19 PM »
Brewskier, your first guess of 20 lakes basin was close too.  I donít know if your second guess of Saddlebag Lake was luck or you really recognized Dore Pass on the picture.  I tried to put some doubt in your mind but you stuck to your guess.   :clap: :clap:

Dore pass was burned into my memory after my first, and only, encounter with altitude sickness.  That's how I got it :)

Awesome picture.  I saw the lake frozen over once in July when we came up in the 90's (can't remember the year), but I never saw a pile of snow on top of it.

Sierra Girl

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2012, 08:44:05 AM »
When theirs a lot of snow in Tioga Pass (not this year), we would watch the extreme skiers ski down Tioga Peak, sometimes between the cabins or over the roofs of the cabins at the Tioga Pass Resort.  Great entertainment for us.  :lol2:   The resort was not open yet so think they don't operate in winter time anymore.   

flyGirl

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2012, 03:40:51 PM »
Brewskier was on it from the beginning!  Fun thread Hawk!   :goodpost: