Author Topic: Big Springs after the fire  (Read 2723 times)

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Big Springs after the fire
« on: October 07, 2016, 02:25:09 PM »
I was finally able to drive out to Big Springs this week, almost afraid of what I'd find, but I had to go. It's been one of my favorite spots since I was a kid (a long time!). The drive out the River Road was encouraging, not much burned until you got closer to the River. The campground is still closed, it doesn't look like the fire got in there. The River upstream from the culvert is not burned either...one of the local papers said it was, the main reason I went out, to see if they were right...they weren't. That's where the "Big Springs" are, I was worried.
Downstream from the campground is another story. Fire on both sides of the River, but not the moonscape I had dreaded.  A lot of the big pines were just scorched a little, not incinerated, but some were a total loss. Both sides of the River are in pretty good shape, for the most part, the fire didn't get right to the banks, still green willows and trees, the water is still clear, watercress still growing.
Farther down, the east side got badly burned, west side not so bad. I only walked a half mile or so, just enough to see that it wasn't total obliteration...in a few years it might look okay.
Then I drove down toward Alpers and Arcularius, pretty scary. Alpers lost some historic cabins, but a lot were left intact. Fire burned both sides of the River there, the moonscape I had feared upstream. Arcularius is pretty intact, but burned all around. Forest to the west is burned. The west side of Bald Mt is black.
I'd seen enough, turned around and came home.

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Big Springs after the fire
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 07:30:07 PM »
I tried to drive up there last Thursday but they had the road closed signs on the river road right at the area I go shooting...I could see the mountain side that had burned....I was concerned that the forest area along the river had been destroyed but reading your post gave me relief that the area wasn't totally burned out..

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 11:31:59 AM »
Thanks for reporting back. Don't suppose you took any pictures you could share?

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 03:04:10 PM »
Sorry, no pics. As pleased as I was to find it better than expected, it was still somewhat depressing. Maybe I'll go back to take some.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 03:34:59 PM »
so good to hear 'its not as bad as expected'.  but alas... still bad, and still sad.

i drove thru the burn area at Lee Vining, and it burned down to mono lake.. and it burned right to the lodges that are along the road there.   i assume its Cal Trans that has put in fencing along the road... it has cables drilled back intot he hillside to hold it in place.  The hill is cover in wire mesh, and they have hydro seeded...  But i would still expect there to be some sliding this winter..  the happy spit was that the aspens have already sent new trees up in a few large patches in the burn area..
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....