Author Topic: Eastern Sierra Fall Colors 2016  (Read 86722 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern Sierra Fall Colors 2016
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2016, 06:31:14 AM »
Dunderberg Meadows
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2016, 02:05:15 PM »
Nice Thanks

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2016, 01:05:27 PM »
Photobucket has been down (server) for over a 1 1/2 days with no end in sight, so cannot upload any photos.  Once there back up, I値l post more fall colors photos.  I may need to look for another photo sharing site.  We値l see what happens once their back online.

Where I知 at for fall colors:  Just a few more of Dunderberg Meadows, then I値l move to Virginia Lakes.  Virginia Lakes looked great this year, maybe the best I致e seen.  Also visited after the snow storm we had in mid-October, so fall color with snow makes for nice photos.  After Virginia Lakes is Lundy Canyon.  Lundy Canyon and Lundy Campground were in prime form.  Took the Lundy Canyon hike all the way to 20 Lakes Basin and the colors were amazing.  The three waterfalls I pass to get there were beautiful as always.  Also took the Lundy Lake to Lakes Canyon hike to Oneida Lake and May Lundy Mine.  Fall colors all the way up to Oneida Lake.  Then I continue south for more fall color.

Once Photobucket gets back online I値l post more fall colors.  Hope everyone痴 enjoying the fall color show and all are welcome to add any photos you may have.      Hawk   :hiking2:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2016, 08:09:50 PM »
Enjoy your pics a bunch. Keep them coming. Thanks

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2016, 07:16:06 AM »
Photobucket is back on (Yeah!) so back to the Fall Colors 2016.

Dunderberg Meadows

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2016, 07:16:54 AM »
Dunderberg Meadows

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2016, 07:17:34 AM »
Dunderberg Meadows

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2016, 07:18:14 AM »
Dunderberg Meadows

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2016, 07:19:03 AM »
Dunderberg Meadows

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2016, 07:21:49 AM »
Last of the Dunderberg Meadows photos.  Heading to beautiful Virginia Lakes next...........................

Dunderberg Meadows

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2016, 02:43:46 PM »
Stunning  :clap:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2016, 06:25:19 AM »
Eastern Sierra Fall Colors 2016

Virginia Lakes

Located high above Conway Summit, Virginia Lakes boasts access to ten pristine mountain lakes that beckon trout anglers.  The Virginia Lakes Resort has been there since 1924, features housekeeping cabins, a restaurant, general store, and camping sites.  Situated beneath Dunderberg Peak at 12,374 feet, Virginia Lakes is the gateway to rugged hiking trails to the Sierra's Hoover Wilderness and Yosemite National Park. 

Most of the fall color for Virginia Lakes is on Virginia Lakes Road.  This makes for an easy beautiful scenic drive for fall colors and to some gorgeous lakes at the end of the road.

Virginia Lakes

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2016, 06:26:24 AM »
Virginia Lakes

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2016, 06:27:01 AM »
Virginia Lakes

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2016, 06:27:58 AM »
Virginia Lakes

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2016, 06:28:33 AM »
Virginia Lakes

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2016, 08:48:31 AM »
Looking forward to any photos of May Lundy Mine area. Have not been back there for 45 years, but loved it as a kid. The cabins were still standing and had cots and stoves in them. They were in bad shape then,so doubt they are still standing. Lots of square nails laying around.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2016, 11:38:10 AM »
Very cool, wshawkins!  My wife and I took the time to travel in mid-October through Dunderberg Meadows from Virginia Lakes Rd., coming out down just north of the Bodie entrance off 395.  We were on a storm front blowing easterly spitting rain at us while snow was touching down up on the peaks to the west.  Our first time taking that road.  Saw numerous rainbows (not the fish!), some double ones, some with beginning and end in sight.  No pot of gold at the end, but what was left of the aspen stands was generous enough for us to revel in its wealth of beauty.  I can close my eyes and remember the scent of the wet ground, undergrowth and aspens.  Your pictures take me far away from my desk.  Many thanks!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2016, 02:22:31 PM »
Looking forward to any photos of May Lundy Mine area. Have not been back there for 45 years, but loved it as a kid. The cabins were still standing and had cots and stoves in them. They were in bad shape then,so doubt they are still standing. Lots of square nails laying around.

Wish I致e seen it 45 years ago!  My history for the May Lundy Mine goes back about 20 years.  Still plenty to see and lots of square nails lying around.  I値l post some photos soon as I知 sure you see some changes over the years.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2016, 02:23:35 PM »
Very cool, wshawkins!  My wife and I took the time to travel in mid-October through Dunderberg Meadows from Virginia Lakes Rd., coming out down just north of the Bodie entrance off 395.  We were on a storm front blowing easterly spitting rain at us while snow was touching down up on the peaks to the west.  Our first time taking that road.  Saw numerous rainbows (not the fish!), some double ones, some with beginning and end in sight.  No pot of gold at the end, but what was left of the aspen stands was generous enough for us to revel in its wealth of beauty.  I can close my eyes and remember the scent of the wet ground, undergrowth and aspens.  Your pictures take me far away from my desk.  Many thanks!

Thanks Saudust!  Glad to see you were able to see some fall colors on Dunderberg Meadows, though it looked best during the first week of October.  I値l be covering your favorite area soon (June Lake Loop) which is always is gorgeous in October.  I do remember the storm in mid-October, lots of rain (snow in the higher elevations) and the powerful brutal winds we had for several days!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2016, 02:24:45 PM »
Lets keep the fall color party going!

Virginia Lakes

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2016, 06:12:00 AM »
Virginia Lakes

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2016, 06:12:38 AM »
Virginia Lakes

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2016, 06:13:14 AM »
Virginia Lakes

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2016, 06:13:50 AM »
Virginia Lakes