Author Topic: Eastern Sierra Fall Colors 2016  (Read 70435 times)

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern Sierra Fall Colors 2016
« Reply #425 on: January 14, 2017, 08:11:16 PM »
WOW! you know how to end it! Each year it gets better than the previous great year, so doing the math this year was your best yet!   :lol2: All kidding aside your right the colors this year are over the top, and your story and presentation was your best. Thank you again for all your contributions to this forum.   :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 14, 2017, 08:41:51 PM »
I ll second that. Thank you :lol2:

RockToad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 15, 2017, 04:03:06 AM »
Thank you so much for the best Sierra photos I have ever seen.  And I have seen and photographed many myself. :hiking2:

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 16, 2017, 11:19:31 AM »
Like the old days with the "Mystery Lakes". Haven't a clue :'(
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 16, 2017, 01:06:23 PM »
Such excellent photos, as always.

#1 through #4 have me stumped, but I'm gonna say Little Walker Lake for #5?   The isolated pine trees on the far shore look familiar, as do the hills in the background.  But, I could be wrong, once again.

John

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 17, 2017, 09:46:35 AM »
#1 Above Cardinal Village  #3 Lake Sabrina
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 17, 2017, 01:27:24 PM »
Packer got #1 and #3 mystery photos correct.  #1 is above Cardinal Village near the gold mine and #3 is Lake Sabrina.  Lake Sabrina was looking good in 2016 with the water level near full.  John, #5 is not Little Walker Lake, but good guess as itís about a mile hike in and looks very similar.  More photos and hints for the remaining photos.

#2:  Zoom shot across the lake.
Hint:  Name of the lake comes from a miner who lived in Pine City.

# 4:  Another look at this Mystery Lake.
Hint:  Lake is located in Yosemite.

#5:  Early morning photo looking towards the inlet.
Hint:  This lake is straight as a arrow.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 18, 2017, 08:01:43 AM »
I'm gonna go with Middle Gaylor Lake for #4, and Arrowhead Lake for #5.

John

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 18, 2017, 09:49:30 AM »
I'd say upper Gaylor
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 19, 2017, 06:29:19 AM »
Arrowhead Lake is correct for #5.  Gaylor Lakes is not correct for #4, but the lake in question is in that general area.  Give more clues tomorrow if no correct guesses.

If anybody is wondering, Arrowhead Lake is in the Mammoth Lakes Basin out of Coldwater Creek Campground.  The 1.3 mile hike to the lake is definitely worth it as this makes a great day trip to have lunch, fish, explore or just enjoy a swim (summer only!).

Arrowhead Lake is the first lake you come to on the Duck Pass Trail.  There is about 635 feet in elevation gain on the way up.  At about .8 miles, listen for the sound of rushing water. To your left keep an eye out for an unmarked trail that leads to one of the secret spots on this hike!  If you follow the trail to the left you'll see a nice waterfall, a great lunch stop and photo opportunity.

At about 1 mile you will encounter the sign for Arrowhead Lake, to your left.  The lake got its name from the giant rock formation that splits the lake.  This giant rock formation creates the appearance of an arrowhead, hence the name Arrowhead Lake!  This rock is also a local favorite for cliff jumping during the summer. 

The Duck Pass Trail continues on to Skelton Lake, Red Lake, Barney Lake and Duck Pass then Duck Lake and beyond if you so choose.  You might be surprised that I took my fishing pole on this icy trail with better than half of the lakes I passed were already frozen over late in the season.  There is an excellent (unfrozen) Rainbow Trout Lake on a cross-country hike over deep snow with eager trout to take my flies.  Maybe Iíll share that gem of a trip someday.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: January 20, 2017, 08:43:55 AM »
Only #2 and #4 are left.  See if these photos and clues key you to these lakes.

Remember #2 is a drive-to lake in a popular resort town.  The next photo and clue is there is a trailhead from this mystery lake to a golden trout lake which Iím heading to.  Iím looking down from the trail to the mystery lake and another lake in the background.  Where Iím I?

#5 is in Yosemite and holds a special trout thatís somewhat rare in Yosemite National Park that Iím showing in the photo.  Where Iím I?

#2 Mystery Lake

#4 Mystery Lake

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 20, 2017, 09:44:07 AM »
#2 has to be George Lake, and you're on the trail to Crystal Lake above it, home of golden trout.

I keep thinking Gardisky Lake for #4, but it's only got brookies and is outside Yosemite, but it sure looks like that lake.

John

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 21, 2017, 06:25:23 AM »
Yes, #2 is Lake George from the view from the Crystal Lake trail. 

#4 is not Gardisky Lake but is at nearly the same elevation and does look similar.  #4 has brown trout, and not many brown trout lakes above 10k. I think whatís fooling everyone is the snow, it just looks so different without the green grasses and flowers blooming as during the summer.

Last Hint:  Mj & Bj visited and fished this lake in summer 2015ÖÖÖMaybe even a trip report is out there? :lol2:

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 21, 2017, 09:05:09 AM »
Now you really got my interest and then Spillway Lake came to mind.
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 21, 2017, 10:53:41 AM »
For those keeping track, the mystery photos are as follows:

#1   Above Cardinal Village near the gold mine in Bishop Creek Canyon
#2   Lake George in the Mammoth Lakes Basin
#3   Lake Sabrina out of Bishop Creek Canyon
#4   Spillway Lake out of Yosemite
#5   Arrowhead Lake out of Mammoth Lakes Basin on the Duck Pass Trail

It was a pleasure for me to share my photos from my last fall trip.  Eastern Sierra offers a truly spellbinding contrast of colors during autumn including golden, crimson and orange aspen, cottonwoods as well as willows as far as the eye can see.  What an amazing season.  Thanks again!

RockToad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 21, 2017, 10:58:50 AM »
We can't thank you enough :doglick:  These pictures are incredible!  I can't (but have to) wait until next summer to visit my favorite places on Earth in the Eastern Sierra :camping: