Author Topic: Memorial Day 2012 Trip!  (Read 13028 times)

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Memorial Day 2012 Trip!
« on: June 01, 2012, 11:38:13 PM »
Updated Report:

This trip I brought my girlfriend Jenn and along as she likes to camp, and it wasnít a guys trip like past memorial days.  Jenn and I left Friday and after making a few stops made it to Rock Creek around 4, and found out campsite at East Fork, #108.  Surprisingly it had a lot of room.  A very nice camp site and would come back again.  As we set up camp, there was some snow flurries and the temps were dropping.  Later on that night the flurries came on a little stronger and we got a good amount of snow over night.  I believe Chris said his carís temp was 17 degrees that night.  Over night the pipes froze and the bathrooms in camp were not able to be used till the next night.

Saturday we took it easy and I fished the creek after having breakfast at Tomís place.(The best Chicken Fried Steak ever!)   Caught a few in the creek and after making some lunch we headed up the lake and also to the trailhead at mosquito flats to check it out.  The trailhead was about half full, with the snow coming down hard.  We then went down to the lake which I fished for about half hour.  As it was a cold night I suggested to go to Mammoth to check it out and get dinner there.  ;)  When I got to Mamie, the snow was also coming down hard there, so we drove around and just did some sightseeing, before ending up at Grumpyís for dinner.  BTW they have some very very very good burgers there!  Got back to camp and had some fun around the camp fire.

Sunday Jenn and I woke up and went to take a shower at the resort.  The bathrooms are small, but for the rice they canít be beat.$3 got us about 10 minutes.  After getting back to camp we went for the Little Lakes Valley hike.  All I have to say is it was amazing!  Even though you start off at 10,000í, the hike is relatively easy.  We took our time and made it all the way to Long Lake.  If I would have known Chickenfoot was so close, we would have went there.  The weather was great with hardly any wind.  I only fished three lakes, Marsh, Heart and Long Lake and caught a ton of Brooks out of them all.  Iíll post up the video Iím working on hopefully next week.

Monday we packed up early and headed out with the intention of making a few stops.  One was Manzanar, as she had never gone, and I havenít been since they redid it.  If you havenít stopped, do so as it is a great place to learn some history.  We also stopped at Fossil Falls, which was also a great stop for sightseeing.

All in all it was a great trip, with lots of adventure!  Also got to use my new cooler for the first time and it performed well.  Even though it was cold, I only had to use one bag of ice.  Canít wait for the next trip!

Gary C.

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Memorial Day 2012 Trip!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 12:24:22 AM »
Lots of great pics, looks like you had a great weekend with your girl. Next time you are taking the time to do some sight seeing I'd suggest a stop at the Whitney Hatchery. We stopped there last weekend for the first time since the "Friends of Mt Whitney Hatchery" reopened it with all the new changes. There are still hungry lunkers waiting to be fed in the pond and many improvements inside the building. You can now enter the main part of the hatchery where they are raising a small amount of trout for educational purposes and a brand new wildlife exhibit further back.

Fredb

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 06:08:29 AM »
 What a great trip, thanks for posting and you're right that chicken fried steak looked delicious :eating:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:28:59 AM by Fredb »

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 06:59:40 AM »
Great pics!  If it's alright w/ you, Huck, I'm going to use a couple of your pics in the article on the site's main page.  Thanks!
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 08:21:29 AM »
Lots of great pics, looks like you had a great weekend with your girl. Next time you are taking the time to do some sight seeing I'd suggest a stop at the Whitney Hatchery. We stopped there last weekend for the first time since the "Friends of Mt Whitney Hatchery" reopened it with all the new changes. There are still hungry lunkers waiting to be fed in the pond and many improvements inside the building. You can now enter the main part of the hatchery where they are raising a small amount of trout for educational purposes and a brand new wildlife exhibit further back.

We actually stopped there on the way up as a bathroom break stop.  She likes to stop there on the trips and check things out.  Surprisingly, the bathrooms there were very very clean!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 08:22:14 AM »
Great pictures and report!  Makes me hungry for chicken fried steak! :lol:  Several the lakes have browns in them and a few have goldens.  Could have a Sierra Grand Slam in LLV.  Thanks for the tip on PRV (Siberian Tiger" Z-Spoon).  Caught a 2 lb over the weekend!

I was at the Mount Whitney Hatchery for a look and tour too.  Small world!  It is worth seeing if your in the area.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:31:16 PM by wshawkins »
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 08:25:35 AM »
Great pics!  If it's alright w/ you, Huck, I'm going to use a couple of your pics in the article on the site's main page.  Thanks!

That's awesome!  Go for it.  The majority of the pictures were taken with phone, the Droid X.  I just put it in Airplane mode and it lasts for days out there.

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 08:26:41 AM »
What a great trip, thanks for posting and your right that chicken fried steak looked delicious :eating:

It's my favorite meal there.  I like going there for the chicken fried steak more so, then the pies up further.

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 08:28:23 AM »
Great pictures and report!  Makes me hungry for chicken fried steak! :lol:  Several the lakes have browns in them and a few have goldens.  Could have a Sierra Grand Slam in LLV.  Thanks for the tip on PRV (Siberian Tiger" Z-Spoon).  Caught a 2 lb over the weekend!

Almost ran into Gary C, I was at the Mount Whitney Hatchery for a look and tour.  Small world!  It is worth seeing in your in the area.

That's awesome! Those Z-Spoons kick butt!

Sierra Girl

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 08:53:55 AM »
Looks like it turned out OK for you over the Memorial Day weekend.  Most people were complaining about the winds!  Always enjoyed the hike and scenery to Long Lake.  Thanks.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 09:16:50 AM »
Lots of great pics, thanks for the report.  :clap:

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 09:25:07 AM »
Looks like it turned out OK for you over the Memorial Day weekend.  Most people were complaining about the winds!  Always enjoyed the hike and scenery to Long Lake.  Thanks.

The winds for almost non existent at East Fork.

flyGirl

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 03:44:41 PM »
If don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes!  Snow and windy to perfect weather.  Got to love it!  Nice post and pictures Hulk!

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 09:03:38 AM »
That's a great report Jason!  Maybe if the people who come on here all the time asking what the weather is gonna be like checked out your pics,  they might get the idea!  I hope you had cold weather gear dude!
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 09:38:29 AM »
Great pictures and great report
  thank you.

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 12:32:15 PM »
Great pictures and yes 108 is a great site  :camping:  We will be there is a month. Crazy that we were there at the same time only we stayed in French camp ,after last memorial day I didn't want to deal with the snow again and it looks like it was a great decision on my part because although there was a small amount of snow on the ground Saturday morning it was gone by 10:00 ,plus I got  to experience French Camp and I have a new appreciation for it .  :campfire2: and the bonus we saw the Eagle :clap: :clap:
The Creek is Waiting...

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 01:57:57 PM »
Looks like you and your honey had a great time, IH.  Thanks for the pictures and trip report.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

teejay

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 08:53:11 PM »
Very nice Huck. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 08:31:50 AM »
That shot of the chicken fried steak and eggs is awesome, my favorite breakfast of all!

John

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 08:38:22 AM »
That shot of the chicken fried steak and eggs is awesome, my favorite breakfast of all!

John
DIDO!!!!
Great report Huck!

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 08:46:39 PM »
Awesome report Huck !

Like the pics of the dusting of snow, looks like that must have been a cold nite.

Looks like you had a great holiday weekend.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 08:21:01 AM »
Awesome report Huck !

Like the pics of the dusting of snow, looks like that must have been a cold nite.

Looks like you had a great holiday weekend.

The car temp showed it being 17 degrees at one point early in the morning.

Scott

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 08:25:40 AM »
Nice Trip report and great pictures!  Now I know I have to try the breakfast at Toms!  Thanks for sharing.

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 09:20:53 PM »
Great report. I was there there for a week and left Friday morning so I missed the snow. Thanks for sharing.

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 08:05:33 AM »
Added the video for the trip finally! Enjoy.  Sorry I messed up with some of the names of the lakes out of order.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MAJBa1J3AKs&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/MAJBa1J3AKs&fs=1</a>