Author Topic: Not actually the East Side  (Read 5493 times)

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Not actually the East Side
« on: April 02, 2012, 07:37:45 PM »
My buddy Vince called me last week and said that he and a couple others were backpacking into the special regs section of the Kern Friday morning. I told him I couldn't make it until Saturday morning but I'd be there. Mark P and I reached the camp near the end of the river trail at about 11am Saturday.

A couple of pics from the hike in. The water was a little off color but very fishable.

Mark and I set up our tents and prepared to fish. The guys that were already there said the fishing had been really slow but of course we couldn't wait to find out for ourselves. It was true, but we managed a few small bows and I was pretty stoked to bring this guy to hand.

We knew that it was suppose to rain with a chance of snow so we were all prepared when it started to sprinkle Sat night around sundown. It rained and lightly snowed most of the night and this is what it looked like Sunday morning when we got out of our tents. It spit a little snow a couple of times while we broke camp and was clear for the hike out.

We fished a little more on our way back down to Kernville for a few more fish and then headed back to the Antelope Valley. It was a great chance to try out some new gear and start getting my legs back in shape for some of the bigger trips planned for this summer.

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Not actually the East Side
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 07:59:29 PM »
Nice shots. Like the brown.

Never tried the Kern...even though it's the closest Sierra fishing to me.

Guess I'll have to take a look.

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 10:35:58 PM »
OldSarge,
The Kern can be an awesome river to fish. The problem is that these days it is getting more and more crowded.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 06:16:16 AM »
Fine brown, Gary, and good to see the pics of the area.  Looks beautiful.  Thanks.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 08:17:38 AM »
Itís been a few years but have fish above the Johnsondale Bridge for the Kern River Rainbows.  So I know that catching a brown is a special treat.  Have seen a few large browns caught in the area, but not many.  You did well.  Thanks for the report!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

flyGirl

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 08:58:50 AM »
Beautiful brown trout Gary!  Thanks for the report.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 04:00:02 PM »
Thanks for the report and pics Gary C.

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 07:16:54 PM »
Great report, looks and sounds like a great time. Thumbs up on the brown  :)
Like the photos of the light dusting of snow.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 08:46:55 PM »
Nice report Gary! Like you said it helped you get the rust off for your ventures this summer. Well done!

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 04:37:30 PM »
My 6yr old grandson made me feel guilty about not taking him on the trip above so I tried to make it up to him. The following weekend I made an overnight run up to the Kern with him. We drove up Friday and got a campsite then I took him fishing for an hour. He land three and lost 2-3. Saturday we got up and went to the fish hatchery then to the museum in Kernville. After the visit to the museum we made sandwiches in the park before driving home. It was a great way to make some memories with the little guy.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 05:57:14 AM »
Now that is precious, Gary.  Great day!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 07:40:25 AM »
That is just great Gary!  He will remember this outing with his Grandpa for a life time.  Way to go!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 01:54:19 PM »
Thanks for the replys. I need to make more trips like this with just the kids goodtime in mind. This one worked out great and he had a blast. The run we walked down to near Headquarters CG I have fished many times and new there was a good chance we could catch a trout. With the "just for him trip" in mind I left my rod at camp. I put on a wieghted bobber with a single egg hook below and would cast it up stream for him. There would be a bite on almost every drift but he did have problems setting the hook.