Author Topic: I went south, part 1  (Read 526 times)

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
I went south, part 1
« on: November 28, 2016, 03:14:50 PM »
Last week I returned from a 2 week journey with National Geographic thru the Mayan ruins.. we started in Merida, Mexico.. and ended outside of Tikal, Guatamala.  Our main guide was the leading archeologist of the region.. Richard Hansen, a true Indiana Jones.  This is part 1, cause out of the zillion photos I took, its too hard to select only a few...  and I will need another nap before I would be able to post them all:)

WE met up in Merida...a lovely city,,,  and our first day out with the group.. (there were 13 of us) went to Uxmal...

the main temple:

I think one of the coolest things about Uxmal is the amount of carvings that have survived over the years...   of course, this is one of the newest/youngest Mayan cities:)

and iguanas everywhere:

the view from atop one of the temples looking across the city:

after spending a good portion of the day at Uxmal, our bus headed out of town, and got as far as it could go,,passing this lovely church:

then we loaded up into the back of this truck:

and headed down road farther to a cenote for lunch and a swim:

a few Mayan ladies made us lunch....

and leave it to Nat Geo to turn the middle of nowhere into a 5 star restaurant:)

and after lunch, it was a 'go down into this hole on a very rickety sairway, and go for a swim in the cenote... the large cenote... which felt just wonderful after being out in the sun all day!

our next day out was to Chi Chen Itza... where you enter thru 100's of columns..

the main temple

love the serpent heads... they are everywhere here!

and more iguanas...

(and it turned out that part of lunch yesterday consisted of iguana tamales!!)

more temples...

and the famous 'observatory'.. which may not be an observatory...

then off to another lunch.. this time at a hacienda..

ok.. check out the women's restroom!!!!!  yes it is open to the outside:)

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 03:17:21 PM by Little Hardrock »
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: I went south, part 1
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 04:04:23 PM »
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime, what an adventure. So, do you get the impression that extra terrestrials had a hand in the architecture? (I watch too many alien conspiracy TV shows!)

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 02:16:57 AM »
How awesome is that!! Your pictures are beautiful.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 06:20:27 AM »
What a great trip!  Your photos are really beautiful.  I took my family on a western Caribbean cruise on Princess Cruises and visited Belize City, Belize and Costa Maya, Mexico and took tours to the Mayan ruins.  Thanks for sharing!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 05:53:16 AM »
LHR, after SLR this is my most favorite region to explore!  The ruins out of Merida are in fantastic shape.  Chi Chen Itza no longer allows passage up the narrow steps of the main temple, but years ago it lent the most amazing feeling to stand on top and imagine what might have occurred below...or on top (yikes).  Nat Geo looks to be the host of hosts!  So cool to be there in November.  Great timing for the weather!  Iguana tamales?  Ah, put it all to use!  I can hardly wait to see more pics and share your experiences.  Thanks so much for this post!!!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 05:27:16 PM »
LHR - WOW!! Your trip looks fantastic. Great Pictures...looking forward to more. Looks like Nat Geo does it 1st class. England, Scotland, Mexico, Guatamala...any more travels planned before the end of the year?? Glad you appear to have had a great time. :clap:
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau