Author Topic: Accommodation?  (Read 1575 times)

wasdalewanderer

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Accommodation?
« on: November 29, 2016, 11:51:24 AM »
Hi,

Just registered with you guys... hope that's ok?

Would anyone be able to offer some advice as to summer accommodations available in and around Rock Creek area (not camping and mid price range).

Still trying to orientate myself, have ordered maps but thought you guys could help me out?

Thanks.

WW

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Accommodation?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 05:55:51 AM »
Welcome to the Board, WW.  I'm confident someone here will be able to shed some light on your question.  Basically, you can stay from Bishop to Mammoth and be relatively close, and further north is June Lake.  We don't stay in the immediate area, but do love the Silver Lake Resort in the June Lake Loop. 
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

wasdalewanderer

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 07:28:21 AM »
Thanks - hope so too.

I've provisionally booked a place in Mammoth but the taxi up to Rock Creek is an unbelievable price (well for the UK anyway)..... $160, early start admittedly but for an hours round trip for the car, that seems a little steep?

So, next question please, is this a fair rate and are there any other taxi companies in Mammoth Lakes that are just a little more competitive?

Thanks for any help.

WW

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 08:10:41 AM »
Would be cheaper to rent a car for the day or find closer lodging accommodations.  There are Hertz and Enterprise in Mammoth Lakes Airport, which will run you $40-55 day.  Hertz also has a Mammoth Lakes location at Kittredge Sports on Main St. 

Hertz: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/location/unitedstates/california/mammothlakes/MMHC10

Enterprise: https://www.enterprise.com/en/car-rental/locations/us/ca/mammoth-lakes-airport-32ug.html
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wasdalewanderer

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 10:10:57 AM »
Thanks for the links, they'll be useful after we finish our "adventure" but still a logistical challenge getting from Mammoth Lakes to Rock Creek, don't want to hire a car as it'll be stood for nearly 2 weeks unused.

Any more taxi companies?

Think I might try chatting to the accommodation provider, happy to pay, so they may run us up there. Fingers crossed!

Anymore suggestions for accommodation (ideally an apartment) in Mammoth will be appreciated.

Still got to take a look at Bishop, but suspect we'll have the same challenge from there as well.

Thanks,

WW

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 11:23:30 AM »
welcome!

you may want to check out the air b n b rentals... there should be smaller homes or condos available on there...
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 11:39:56 AM »
If you're interested in spending time in the Rock Creek area, there are lots of possibilities instead of Mammoth. There are three resorts in Rock Creek...
Tom's Place Resort, probably the cheapest, they have cabins, lodge rooms, a cafe, store and bar.
Rock Creek Lodge, a step up from Tom's Place, they have cabins, a store and restaurant.
Rock Creek Lakes Resort, the top of the line, cabins, a cafe, store.
You can find info for all of these online, just Google them by name.
Look into the community of Crowley Lake, only five miles from Rock Creek, there are a couple of lodges there...Mono Sierra Lodge, and Sierra Gables, both have small apartments, but I'm not sure if they rent them short term.
I live in Crowley Lake, my landlord has a small cabin that he rents short term, reasonable prices...Google "the cabin on Hilton Creek". Very nice place, and five miles from the bottom of Rock Creek Canyon.
There's really no reason for you to stay in Mammoth....I live here, and I don't go there at all...just my opinion.
I'm always happy to answer more questions.

wasdalewanderer

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 05:30:07 AM »
Thanks everyone.....

Was getting a little concerned about the cost of this taxi business, but I think there are many other options to explore and the planning part of the holiday, in my experience, is a big part of the enjoyment of the whole holiday.

Really appreciate your input and so looking forward to flying out there next summer.

Will keep an eye on your message board....

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

WW