Author Topic: Lot's O' snow is on the way...  (Read 6096 times)

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Lot's O' snow is on the way...
« on: January 04, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »
Believe it or not,  I have seen counts of only 50-70% of normal snowpack so far this winter,  but this should help a whole lot...http://mammothweather.com/
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Lot's O' snow is on the way...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 03:14:42 PM »
Can you believe this?

“5 to 8 feet of snow to the Town of Mammoth, (If it is all snow) and some 12 to 16 feet over the upper elevations of Mammoth MT over the next 7 days”.

This should put a large dent in our drought!  And this wet system should last at least until January 13th.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 05:55:28 PM »
we've had alot of snow fall up here... and then a warm storm comes in and melts the snow with rainfall.   which is great for the resevoirs,,, but not so good for the snow pack.

we even had snow at my house yesterday...  just under 2000 feet elevation, but its gone now.   but as of this typing, highway 80 is closed just above us...so the snow is close :).  and alot of it!  lets hope it sticks around awhile:)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 05:58:52 PM by Little Hardrock »
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 08:26:18 AM »
This stuff is disgusting! Heavy, wet "Sierra Cement"...it will be good for the water supply, but not so good for the guy that just had a heart attack, and has to dig his way out of it. Actually not that bad, I just take my time...
Maybe a foot at my house, but full of water. If the predictions of rain over the weekend are right, things could get real interesting...anybody remember the Walker flood of "97?
You guys have to remember that Howard makes predictions for the Mountain (PR, not reality)...in the 30 years I've been here, he's very seldom been right...just my observation...

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 09:26:51 AM »
Be slow Scout, we can not do things like we used ta could.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 10:13:59 AM »
This morning has been 5 minutes of shoveling (about 30 lbs per shovel), then sitting by the fire for a while, then back for another five minutes...I may get into my woodpile by mid afternoon. At least it's warm outside.

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 10:28:41 AM »
Better call and let them know you will be late to work! ;)

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 10:55:16 AM »
we have a break in the rain here... so its garbage out, firewood in....

I have been hearing several references to the walker flood of 97 lately....    hummmm

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 10:57:37 AM »
Yeah, we were going to head up next weekend and shovel off our roof but think I will wait awhile.  With all the storms they, RK road is usually last on the list for a plow.  I have seen the lodge take the snowcat all the way down to Tom's before.  Don't think I am up for a 7 mile hike in the snow just to shovel my roof.  Take it easy Scout...things are supposed to get worse.
The creek is waiting...

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 01:16:27 PM »
Good one Packer...I AM at work...I just went for a drive toward Tom's Place, the road up the canyon hasn't been plowed yet, sometimes they have avalanche dangers up that way. Sunny now, supposed to be "okay" tomorrow, then we'll see. If it rains, at least I won't have to shovel it. 36 degs out there, this stuff is melting, and getting heavier.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 02:01:35 PM »
hummm... how about getting a blow torch and melt your way thru the snow! :)

sure would be better than shoveling:)

holy cow... I just got a weather alert for up to 15 inches of rain from sat - Monday!   now that is a lot of water! 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 02:07:49 PM by Little Hardrock »

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 03:35:23 PM »
Tell Maggie there is a stick under the snow, and she will clear it out for you.

Want to borrow  our Kayaks Carol? In case you need to go to the store or something.

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 04:29:10 PM »
hmmmm...fire and dog trickery.... I got to the wood pile, all the walks are clear, I can get my car out, things are okay for now.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 04:41:07 PM »
Might have to packer!  I do know the road to my house will be under water. The creek it runs along is not trained to stay within its banks.   May have to get a bigger lift on lil grey:)

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 04:49:42 PM »
I remember the '97 Walker flood. Took out some of the old scenic 395.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 08:43:23 AM »
When I heard about sandbags in Mammoth, I thought about the Walker flood. I had to go the long way to get to Rock Creek that year from Reno, as the road was still washed out in May. Water is powerful....

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 10:00:24 AM »
Just saw the weather alert about Walker River flooding so be careful if traveling up north on the 395. I remember the flood of 97' and every time I drive that way I point out to my family where the water was when it was at its highest.

LHR - Husband already tried the blow torch idea.  He was frustrated with shoveling out from our door to the outhouse so he hauled up his blow torch and propane tank.  Unfortunately, it was not a success. 

Everyone be safe up there...
The creek is waiting...

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 06:27:03 PM »
Everyone up North Stay Safe !!
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 07:46:48 PM »
Looking like we might be able to put a dent in the drought, FINALLY :clap: :clap: :clap:

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 06:14:21 AM »
With the massive amount of rain expected and the very high snow level, 9000-1000 feet, it will probably melt most of the snow which is what we don't want.
I bet Rock Creek will be a raging torrent of water. 

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 08:01:49 AM »
Anyone remember the year RC over flowed it's banks at or just above French Camp?

Blocked the road for awhile with mud and debris till the big tractors got there. Maybe 15 years ago, not sure?

I do remember how beautiful the canyon was once we got up to Upper Pine. Great trip, great memories.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2017, 01:34:36 PM »
This is amazing. it's been raining all day, nothing torrential, but raining. Right now it's 43 degs outside. It's almost impossible to shovel anything, it just slops out of the shovel. The creeks (Hilton) in my back yard are okay for now, we don't know what to expect on that front. Not even going to attempt to drive anywhere, I keep falling on my a** just walking around, the roads have got to be like snot (best description I can come up with, sorry). Rock Creek road has been closed since yesterday, there were a bunch of slides above East Fork on Friday. No idea about anything else, I can't (don't want to) get out of here.
I'll do my best to give first hand info. I have a fire, food , a dog that's going stir crazy...we'll be fine.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2017, 02:41:56 PM »
you are braver than I am if you even went out your front door!....   the view from every window here is rain.... rain, rain, rain.. has been for hours.. or is it days now?  the  creek that runs just beyond my property line is now running thru the back of my property...   and lake clementine, which is a catch reservoir to slow down the American river, is overflowing its dam...   hwy 80 has several mud slides, and some flooding on it...  so far the road is still open..

and wind?   yes, its blowing... tho it is supposed to start easing up this afternoon.   hang on trees, just a bit longer to hang in there!   

and while I don't have a stir crazy dog.. I have two irritated kitties that would rather be out hunting,, and then 2 that are perfectly content to lay in front of the woodstove:)    (yes, HR's kitty is loving the wood stove..  those san diego kittie's weren't made for our winters up here:)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 02:47:53 PM by Little Hardrock »

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 08:01:31 AM »
Just checked the Crowley Lake cam and it looks like its snowing not raining ?  I am hoping for snow  :cold:
The Creek is Waiting...

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2017, 01:37:08 PM »
It's been more rain than snow, even this morning. If it is snow, it's really wet. Today is nicer than yesterday, it stopped raining/snowing a couple hours ago, we were actually able to go for a drive. Roads are okay, kinda like driving in pudding in places, 395 looked good, tourists driving way too fast, what can you do? Nothing really remarkable, Rock Creek Road is still closed.
If/when it gets below freezing, things could get real interesting, everything will just turn into a giant block of ice.