Author Topic: Lots of snow, part 2  (Read 13234 times)

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
Re: Lots of snow, part 2
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 08:35:38 PM »

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2017, 07:55:29 AM »
I'm  planning on driving down there later today, gonna take Maggie for a walk down the road to SNARL. There are a couple of possibilities as to which building was affected, I'll let you know what I find.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2017, 09:54:24 AM »
somewhere on facebook, there was a post asking for help today in digging out at least one of the cars... snacks and lunch provided.. but bring your own shovel...    they were going to gather at the home at 9:30am
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2017, 12:02:44 PM »
I drove down that way, the road is still closed at the McGee Creek intersection. Tons of Edison trucks and crews down there, repairing the power poles the avalanche took out. I drove on 395 toward Mammoth, the berms on the sides of the highway are so high, I couldn't tell where the slide went.
So, I stopped in Crowley store and asked the owner what he knew. The house that was hit is the first house on the right as you're driving north on Crowley Lake drive, just as you get into what they call Long Valley. The newest house down there, built within the last 5 yeas or so, you could see it from 395, a two story , dark brown house. While I was in the store, somebody from down there called to order 10 pizzas, so they must have a lot of people helping them dig out.
Another interesting piece of local history....when I was a kid, my grandmother told me a story about the couple who built a restaurant down there in the late 30"s. Nan and Max Zischank were building the Long Valley Resort, Packer might remember it, it was still operating into the late 60's...we used to eat there occasionally. Anyway, g"ma told me that she went down to tell Nan and Max that they were building in an avalanche zone (she'd been here for years, and knew the danger areas), maybe they should pick a different spot. They kind of pooh-poohed her information, built anyway, and it's been avalanched a few times since. Some people just won't listen....

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2017, 09:28:10 PM »
this picture was posted today on facebook by the resort....  I assume the road is closed, they said they skied up there...

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2017, 10:48:12 AM »
The phone booth is wearing a snow beanie!! :lol2:
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2017, 07:45:59 PM »
Wow...wish I could get up there.  The road is usually plowed up to the snow park...which is the parking area on the left before Palisade/ East Fork...but looks like the skied up the full 9 miles which means the road is still closed.  It is a cross country ski area up there...when the road is plowed.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:35:56 PM by RockNCreekGirl »
The creek is waiting...

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2017, 09:23:39 AM »
Thanks Scout. Stay safe out there.

I drove down that way, the road is still closed at the McGee Creek intersection. Tons of Edison trucks and crews down there, repairing the power poles the avalanche took out. I drove on 395 toward Mammoth, the berms on the sides of the highway are so high, I couldn't tell where the slide went.
So, I stopped in Crowley store and asked the owner what he knew. The house that was hit is the first house on the right as you're driving north on Crowley Lake drive, just as you get into what they call Long Valley. The newest house down there, built within the last 5 yeas or so, you could see it from 395, a two story , dark brown house. While I was in the store, somebody from down there called to order 10 pizzas, so they must have a lot of people helping them dig out.
Another interesting piece of local history....when I was a kid, my grandmother told me a story about the couple who built a restaurant down there in the late 30"s. Nan and Max Zischank were building the Long Valley Resort, Packer might remember it, it was still operating into the late 60's...we used to eat there occasionally. Anyway, g"ma told me that she went down to tell Nan and Max that they were building in an avalanche zone (she'd been here for years, and knew the danger areas), maybe they should pick a different spot. They kind of pooh-poohed her information, built anyway, and it's been avalanched a few times since. Some people just won't listen....

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2017, 12:33:04 PM »
The county plowed the road up the canyon over the weekend, so I decided to go check things out. The road is dry for most of the drive, except for the narrows. About 4 feet of snow at the Sno Park, a few cars there. The spring is pretty much buried, guess I won't be getting water there for a while. It's been a while since I've seen that much snow up there, kinda nice, but Retired is right, it might be a late opening for everything this spring.
The drive down through the narrows was a true adventure, it's an ice cap through most of the ess turns...low gear in 4X4, and we were still sliding most of the way...like they told us when I was driving a sno cat, "if you can't stop, aim for something cheap".

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2017, 06:01:50 PM »
Thanks for the update Scout!
The creek is waiting...

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2017, 06:23:51 PM »
great update!     but wouldn't you aim for something soft?

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2017, 07:38:30 AM »
I sure like the shot of the Resort LHR, it's encouraging.

I'd be willing to help packer dig out scout.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2017, 01:08:33 PM »
Scout you talk about the spring where you would get water,,, where is it?  I have been there hundreds of times and and never knew or heard of a spring for water..

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2017, 01:48:10 PM »
It's a well kept secret...not really. During the summer it's tough to see if you don't know where it is. Coming down the hill from East Fork, it's on the right side, a couple hundred yards below the wide spot in the road (the Sno Park). There's a pipe coming out of the hill, a lot father from the road now than when I was a kid. The easiest way to find it now is to look at the bike path...the spring is almost directly across from the painting of the bicycle rider...about the only redeeming thing about the whole bike lane fiasco.
Thanks for all the offers to help dig out....shoveling isn't the problem, finding somewhere to put the snow is. As of now, I shovel onto a plastic tarp, grab an end and slide it down the road to a wide spot the plows left, dump it there, and repeat. Good thing I'm not in a hurry.
I'll show you the spring sometime, Retired....unless you find it first.

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2017, 02:00:25 PM »
Thanks for the info, I'll look for it when I come up to camp for a week at French Camp for the opener if its not buried in snow...Its amazing have been going up there for 58 years now and still learn new things..

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2017, 09:35:53 AM »
Great water for sure! Should be blasting out of the pipe this year.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2017, 12:45:06 PM »
I've been drinking water coming out of that pipe for years!  If I could drink that water all the time I'd prolly never drink anything else!  So refreshing! 
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2017, 02:11:15 PM »
The spring is running nicely, but there's a six foot wall of snow between it and the road...that's where I need help digging! I have access to well water from a friend, but it's not the same.

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2017, 07:15:08 AM »
That picture of the resort is amazing !!

Scout
I think you should be more worried about your wood supply than your water supply !
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2017, 04:32:43 PM »
How'd you know about my woodpile? It's been a week by week thing for a while, my buddy and I didn't get as much as we should have last summer, due to a lot of different reasons, so I've been replenishing as needed. Luckily it got above freezing last week, so the house is a little warmer.
I do miss the water...nothing tastes quite the same....

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2017, 02:22:04 PM »
hey Scout..   have you heard anything about 395 in the Lee Vining area where the fire was?  i am wondering how that is holding up...

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2017, 12:54:48 PM »
I haven't heard or read anything about that area...that could be a good thing. The last I heard was in late fall, telling us that they had completed the work to prevent any slides up there. You could always call Mono Market...I imagine if there were any problems, the local papers would have written something.
Nothing but rain, and a little wet snow here the last coupla days. Rock Creek Road is closed again, maybe avalanche problems again. It's in the 40's today, I like it.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2017, 02:12:42 AM »
Speaking of rain, I guess that the warmer rains did a number on the snow above Kernville. I read that the Ker River peaked Wed night at over 24,000cfs. That is a LOT of water. It was up high enough to reach into the park.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2017, 04:35:54 PM »
It did that in 1997 also. It was up to the park benches. Very high and wide and fast.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »
LHR, Scout looks like the storms from the last couple of weeks have passed for a week or so. Hope everything is OK with your homes and your ability to get around. Please keep everyone posted.