Author Topic: shooting  (Read 3423 times)

caddisjb

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
shooting
« on: June 02, 2012, 11:45:27 PM »
Going up to the creek in 2 weeks and want to take my daughter shooting. We have a 22 and shotgun, where can we shoot and not go to jail?

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: shooting
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 08:45:11 AM »
I'm interested in the same information.  I think there are some areas near Big Springs, north of Mammoth that one of the members frequents but I'm not exactly sure that's where he shoots.  I've dove hunted near Bishop, so I'm pretty sure as long as you use common sense no one will bother you.

John

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 01:23:18 PM »
Retired96 will chime in on this one.
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 09:09:59 PM »
The best places to shoot are off the Owens River road from Benton Crossing north to about 1 mile south of Big Springs on the west side of the dirt road... There are numerous dirt roads that lead to the boonies and not a soul for miles...

Another good shooting area is the gorge road from Toms Place past Crowley dam before you get to Benton Crossing.... no homes or people....

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 08:58:07 PM »
We usually go shooting across from Tom's on the gorge road past the Crowley lake dam as retired mentioned.  There are also some areas in Bishop...but it was 98 degree's in Bishop yesterday so I would stick somewhere around Crowley.
The creek is waiting...

caddisjb

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 09:50:19 PM »
Thanks for the info!!

Brewskier

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 08:38:03 AM »
We found this little dump site off of West Portal Road near Lee Vining where we shot a little bit.  Not 100% sure of the legality, but there was nobody around. 

Underwear Bomber

• Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 10:50:38 AM »
And please clean up after yourselves!  The reason the officials put the kibosh on shooting in most places is due to the aftermath.  You always know a popular shooting area when you come across it because you see all the broken glass, the empty shotgun shells, the shot up washing machines, etc.  If everyone took the time to clean up when they were done, these areas wouldn't look like this.  Just saying....I love to shoot and I am tired of places being shut down because of a handful of inconsiderate people who don't bother cleaning up after themselves.  Have fun!

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 02:08:47 PM »
When I shoot my thousands of rounds every year, I pick up every case I shoot as I reload all my ammo.. Ammo supplies are too expensive to leave cases laying on the ground....  I bring my own pop up targets and don't leave anything behind...

Underwear Bomber

• Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 07:07:07 PM »
When I shoot my thousands of rounds every year, I pick up every case I shoot as I reload all my ammo.. Ammo supplies are too expensive to leave cases laying on the ground....  I bring my own pop up targets and don't leave anything behind...

Yeah, ammo prices just keep going higher...that's a fact.  I swear, the anti-gun folks are going to go after the ammo now.  They know they will never be able to outlaw guns.  I think they will make it harder to get the ammo and harder on ammo companies to do business in California.  That way, eventually, we will still be able to own guns in this state but we won't be able to get any ammo.  Perfect example is this stupid attempt at making the ammo companies put serial numbers on every shell casing.  If that ever happens, nobody will sell ammo in California any more.