Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 1945 times)

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Suggestions
« on: February 16, 2017, 09:10:22 PM »
Hello all I hope everyone stays high and dry over the weekend. It's really been a pleasure reading posts from this site and I especially appreciate all the pictures that I can live vicariously through.

I wanted some suggestions from the experts here. My family is able to take an extra trip to the sierras this year. We always do rock creek of course usually east fork and every year we also do a second trip to Reds meadow.  So I wanted some suggestions on what everyone else thought is their other favorite place to car-tent camp. My only musts is that the wife likes her flushable toilets and I have to have good fishing nearby for me and my 3 boys whether that be camping by a lake or some good close backcountry lakes.  I've been thinking about silver lake or maybe twin lakes sites.  Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks again  :campfire2:

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 07:50:15 AM »
Bishop Creek, Sabrina Lake, and South Lake are great places. All a stones throw from each other.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 11:40:05 AM by Packer »
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 08:10:36 AM »
I like Silver Lake but it's usually windy when I'm there. Lake Mary and Twin Lakes have CG's near the lake if you can pick a time when it's not too crowded. Coldwater CG is near the Duck Pass trail which has  several easy hike lakes nearby.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 08:15:19 AM »
I'll second Coldwater CG for its location and as a trailhead for some fabulous hikes to lakes and Duk Pass.

Fran

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 02:50:20 PM »
So many great places!  I would also vote for Coldwater Campground, but be sure to learn about the three main trailheads and which hikes start there.  Every time we have been there, we encounter hikers who are not going where they think they are going!

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 06:27:28 PM »
Thanks so much everyone, I fm had been looking at coldwater so this helps a lot!

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »
Another neat area is up Tioga Pass by the south fork of Lee Vining creek.  Its a couple of miles before you get to Yosemite.  You have Ellery and Tioga lake plus Saddlebag just a couple of miles away,  plus much of the stream gets stocked right there where Saddlebag creek joins Lee Vining creek near the campground.  Ya got a choice of lakes and streams and rainbows and brookies... It's up pretty high so it's cold at night and the water will be pretty high this year,  but it's worth a look  :fishing3:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 08:19:15 PM »
Another option would be Bridgeport.  We used to take an Annual trip up there to Twin Lakes and Robinson Creek.  There are many nice campgrounds along the Creek and Bridgeport is a nice little town too.
The creek is waiting...