Author Topic: Beginner Fly Fishing  (Read 4722 times)

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Beginner Fly Fishing
« on: February 26, 2017, 09:31:52 AM »
Well I joined a local Riverside Fly Fishing club and my first lesson starts next weekend. I know they will be giving us general info and equipment recommendations at the first class, but just wondering what you all might recommend for a starter setup for trout fishing in the sierras.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner Fly Fishing
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 03:28:26 PM »
I assume you joined Deep Creek. I know a few of the members. I would recommend A 9' 5 Wt. It's a good middle of the road size for both creek and lake use.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 02:28:27 AM »
I agree about the 9ft 5wt being a good rod to start with. If you are signed up for Sierra Trading Post they have a couple Tample Fork combo sets that might make a good beginner set up.

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 06:47:12 AM »
Yes Deep Creek Flyfishers, I figured a 5wt would be a good start.

I`ve heard of Temple Fork, and Reddington and I know BPS has their own brand, what about Okuma ? I have some of their conventional equipment and like It.

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 08:15:03 AM »
It may sound trivial, but I've always liked an 8 1/2 ft. 5 wt. as an all around rod. It's a little easier to weave your way through the bushes, will make a little brookie feel nice, and will handle a bigger fish easily.
All of the brand names mentioned should be all right, the main thing is how it feels...if you can test cast any of them, pick the one that feels best to you. Not sure if you'll have a choice of lines when (if) you buy a package rod, I recommend a DTF (double taper floating, you can swap the line around every season, it will last twice as long) or a WFF (weight forward floating, it makes casting a little easier)...whichever, I like floating lines, but I'm a dry fly fisherman, the most exciting in my opinion.
Congratulations on taking that first step, have fun with it, and don't get frustrated, it will be worth it in the end....
Can you pat your head and rub your stomach?...if you can, you'll have it made.

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 03:12:53 PM »
Yes Deep Creek Flyfishers, I figured a 5wt would be a good start.

I`ve heard of Temple Fork, and Reddington and I know BPS has their own brand, what about Okuma ? I have some of their conventional equipment and like It.

BPS has TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters), Redington, White River (House Brand), and Orvis starter kits in 9'5Wt and some in 8.6' 5Wt. If you want to get better quality you can also choose your own rod and reel w/backing & Fly line. Both Weight Forward Floating and Double Taper line in 5Wt is available. There are a couple of Okuma reels available too, but many many more choices.

:flyfish:
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 07:21:53 PM »
Thank you guys for the good info and tips.

Looking forward to the day I get my first fish on the fly rod.

I`m pretty sure I can pat my head and rub my stomach, unless I start thinking about it, then I won`t be able to do either !   :lol2:  :lol2:

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 10:50:31 AM »
Head patting and stomach rubbing, you can always practice on JoJo.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Lefluerfish

• Wildman
  • Junior Creeker
  • Still Good Once As I Once Was........
    • View Profile
    • One of many gifts from a Creek member!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 07:01:08 AM »
Getting some lessons on the basics is an excellent starting point.  Practicing casting is the key to being successful.  I took the Long Beach Casting Clubs beginner and intermediate courses (six classes spread over six weeks) and they made the difference for me.  What really made the difference was personal practice.  I had a lawn at the fire station and would attach a piece of yarn and cast every evening after dinner.  May I suggest that you start you journey using barbless hooks.  Barbless hooks have just as high as catch rate as barbed but are much simpler to remove and easier on the fish.  You are embarking on a lifelong obsession that both frustrates and brings immense pleasure when you crack the code. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 07:05:13 AM by Lefluerfish »
Traveling the world on the backs of a can of SPAM....with no fork.
Captain Avenger

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 02:25:55 AM »
I took a couple beginner classes but I learned the most from fishing with others. When I first started I fished with someone who used to post here now and then, Stanberry. It didn't matter where we were, river, creek, or float tube I would here him call out. 10 and 2 Gary, 10 and 2!!!

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 07:32:17 PM »
Introductory class was today, very interesting and I can hardly wait for next weekend`s casting class. Looks like a trip to BPS is in order. Then at the end of march it`s off to the Owens for an on the water lesson, hope the flows have calmed down by then.

Fishing4Gold

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 03:17:50 PM »
I'm also a beginner fly fisher and have a trip slotted for silver lake resort in June. Any tips or local knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I have a 10 foot 3 weight that I will be using from a float tube and a also a 8ft 5 weight. Fishing Wff line and also conventional spinning tackle.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 04:25:51 PM »
Welcome to the Rock Creek Message Board!

Silver Lake is probably the best lake of the June Lake Loop for fly-fishing.  Silver Lake gets heavy fishing pressure during the summer, but maintains a large number of fish due to heavy plantings during the season.  For float tubing, the outlet of Rush Creek, particularly during the spring when large Rainbows stage within the area for spawning are your best bet.  There is a good drop-off from the southern shoreline where Rush/Reverse Creek enters at the inlet to Silver Lake.  This drop-off is especially good during the early summer for large Browns as I found out.  Float tubing at the inlet end in the evenings can easily produce double digit number of fish.  I have success using Hornbergs, EHC, CA Mosquito and Grey Ghosts flies for this lake.  Try using a dry fly indicator with a chironomid dropper during low light conditions.  I use a 12' 4x-5x leader since the water is so very clear.  A 5 weight rod completes my set-up. :flyfish:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Fishing4Gold

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 05:01:56 PM »
Welcome to the Rock Creek Message Board!

Silver Lake is probably the best lake of the June Lake Loop for fly-fishing.  Silver Lake gets heavy fishing pressure during the summer, but maintains a large number of fish due to heavy plantings during the season.  For float tubing, the outlet of Rush Creek, particularly during the spring when large Rainbows stage within the area for spawning are your best bet.  There is a good drop-off from the southern shoreline where Rush/Reverse Creek enters at the inlet to Silver Lake.  This drop-off is especially good during the early summer for large Browns as I found out.  Float tubing at the inlet end in the evenings can easily produce double digit number of fish.  I have success using Hornbergs, EHC, CA Mosquito and Grey Ghosts flies for this lake.  Try using a dry fly indicator with a chironomid dropper during low light conditions.  I use a 12' 4x-5x leader since the water is so very clear.  A 5 weight rod completes my set-up. :flyfish:

Thanks a bunch!! I've had my best luck on the south side and also caught a couple fishing trolling the north and east sides of the lake, will definitely be trying all the techniques you mentioned and will definitely be reporting how I do, trip slotted for June 9th-17

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 01:47:19 AM »
I loved fishing from my float tube but the low profile can make casting a workout. I think that the 10' rod should be an asset. I like to troll with a bead head wooly bugger, green and black are the most popular but purple is my go-to with a nymph trailer.

Fishing4Gold

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 09:10:01 AM »
Thanks Gary, I'll have to try that as well. I've been looking for a good place in mammoth or the June lake loop to buy flies, any suggestions would be appreciated.

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 10:16:46 AM »
I am sure you will get many great suggestions. IMHO, based on my 35+ years of canvassing the 395 corridor from Lone Pine to South Lake Tahoe, I suggest the following based your requested locations, especially the Bishop shop at the bottom if your travels accommodate stopping by......(for me, exploration of local and old historical businesses is a big part of my enjoyment of the Eastern Sierra)

June Lake Ė I canít help you here but am confident several others will.

Mammoth Ė

The Troutfitter (formerly aka The Trout Fly)

Shell Mart Center #4-6 Highway 203 & Old Mammoth Rd
Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546

(760) 924-3676

http://www.thetroutfitter.com/
https://www.facebook.com/troutfittertroutfly/

Rickís Sports Center
3241 Main Street
Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
LOCAL PHONE: 760-934-3416

https://www.facebook.com/Ricks-Sport-Center-1409971579301259/
http://www.visitmammoth.com/shopping/ricks-sport-center

If you are driving up 395 from Southern CA I urge you to check this shop out:

Bishop Ė

Although they donít have a website for reference, and despite other good local competitors, I STRONGLY recommend this very old family owned shop in Bishop.
GREAT and EXTENSIVE assortment, FANTASTIC prices on higher end items, not only flies but also things like Rio brand Leaders and other similar products and equipment.
Very friendly, helpful and informative.

Culver's Sporting Goods
156 S Main St
Bishop, CA 93514
Phone number (760) 872-8361

Driving north on 395/Main Street, it is on the right (East) side right before the intersection/stoplight at Main and Line Street. 

Enjoy!

:flyfish:  practice first so that you can then   :fishing4:

Fishing4Gold

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 11:17:32 AM »
I'll be driving through bishop on my way in, so I'll definitely stop by and check it out! Thanks a bunch.
Might even buy a 4 WT setup before we get in!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 12:06:48 PM »
ďThe TroutfitterĒ is my go to place for when Iím in Mammoth Lakes.  They carry an extensive fly inventory and everything you might need for fly fishing accessories.  Best of all is there fishing knowledge.  They do an excellent job of recommending what flies work best at your chosen fishing hole.

Ernieís at June Lake Village is decent for the area.  Not the inventory of The Troutfitter, but enough to get into fish in the loop.  Their fishing advice is good for drive-to lakes but misses on backcountry lakes in the area.

If youíre staying at Silver Lake Resort, you know their store carries a small fly inventory and fishing tackle that favors Silver Lake.  They always are recommending Mice Tails when I ask whatís hot.  Never tried Mice Tails myself as flies always worked for me.  This is also my favorite for breakfast in the cafť when Iím in the area.

Love stopping in Bishop in the local sporting goods stores when Iím visiting.  Reaganís, Macís and Culverís are all fun to visit and Iím like a kid in a candy store when there.  Have fun!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 03:20:45 PM »
PAC, and wshawkins are right on with their recommendations. The Troutfitter is unbelievable! Mac's in Biship is next door to Breakfast Heaven Jack's Restaurant so you can kill two birds with one stone. Jack's opens at 6am and Mac's opens at 7am. Welcome to the board, and enjoy your time in a beautiful place!

Fishing4Gold

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 08:28:51 PM »
Thanks everybody, the advice really helps and should make my trip much more successful than it would have been. wshawkins, you mentioned back country lakes, I'd like to plan a trip to the Alger lakes to catch goldens as I might be attempting to catch all 5 species in the area,(not including hybrids) which I believe are brooks, browns, golden, rainbows, and the lahontan cutthroat, but correct me if I am wrong. Looking forward to being active on the forums with everyone  :fishing3: :fishing3: Tight Lines to all!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 08:31:47 PM by Fishing4Gold »

Underwear Bomber

• Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2017, 03:58:34 PM »
My best advice...don't fish anywhere near bushes and trees until you are really good at casting...because you will wind up getting caught up in everything.  LOL

Fishing4Gold

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2017, 09:15:12 AM »
Already learned that lesson in a couple past trips, you're spot on about the bushes and trees lol,
Lost more new flies than I can count.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2017, 05:52:52 AM »
Welcome to the Board!  If you're planning a trip to Alger Lakes I'd think your best option is to plan to spend the night tenting it there, but I doubt if the lakes will be open in June.  Probably still frozen tight.  Later in the season the pack station can get you there, but if you're inclined to hike it's a bit of a boot crunch.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Fishing4Gold

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2017, 07:39:55 AM »
Thanks saudust, I'm trying to plan a later trip and stay in reds meadow in July, so maybe that will be a better time to check them out.