Author Topic: Bishop Creek Canyon  (Read 82669 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop Creek Canyon
« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2017, 06:50:19 AM »
Bishop Creek Canyon - Part 2

Green Lake

Trail Sign to Green Lake

I recommend taking Green Lake hike via the Pipeline.  It’s about 5 mile roundtrip hike over the pipeline route to Green Lake.  It’s easier to hike the pipeline route unless you have balance problems, if so you should take the regular trail.  This hike starts in the upper end of the main parking lot at South Lake.  Enter the trail at the gate and hike down the trail about 100 yards, looking to the right to spot the pipeline.  Walk to the pipeline, climb aboard and start following it up the canyon wall.

Pipeline

Pipeline

After about 1 mile, the pipeline ends and joins the trail to Green Lake.  Nice canyon views from the trail at this point.  You pass Bluff Lake at 1.3 miles (Rainbows to 10”) and Brown Lake at 2 miles (Rainbows to 12”) before you arrives at Green Lake at 2.5 miles.

Bluff Lake

Brown Lake

Looking back to Brown Lake

Green Lake to continue………………………………………………
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2017, 06:53:34 AM »

Green Lake

Highly recommended by the Smiths (and me!), Green Lake is a fishermen dream.  Rainbows up to 18” with some fish well over 2 lbs.  Trout jigs and flies worked well for me.  When the wind picked up later a large streamer with a split shot or two to get it down about 15-20 feet did the trick.  These are great fighting Rainbows as they will jump several times out of the water as you try to bring them in.  Don’t miss this gem!

Green Lake

Green Lake

Rainbow

Rainbow

Next up is Margaret Lake

To be continued…………………………………………………………………
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2017, 06:45:55 AM »

Margaret Lake

The first time I discovered Margaret Lake was when I hiked to Treasure Lakes 3, 4 and 5 and hiked cross-country over the saddle to get over to the Bishop Pass Trail.  The Smiths recommend this lake because it has some fat Brookies in it.  It’s a small lake so they don’t get much over 12”, but you won’t find any stunted here.

Spearhead Lake

Pond before Margaret Lake

There is no maintained trail to Margaret Lake.  To get to Margaret Lake, take the Bishop Pass Trail to Spearhead Lake and cross the creek between Long Lake and Spearhead Lake.  Just keep in mind on a draught year its easy crossing, this year maybe not possible until late season.  From Spearhead lake, head due east up the notch hiking cross-country for about a mile until you reach the lake basin.  This hike is about an 8 mile roundtrip hike.  Good ideal to have a topo map of the area with you for this hike.

Margaret Lake

Margaret Lake Brookies love dry Flies!  The fish hang out where the lake drops off about 20 feet out, so this makes an excellent fly fishing lake.

Brookie

Brookie

Next up is Tyee Lakes

To be continued…………………………………………………………

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2017, 06:59:11 AM »

Tyee Lakes

Tyee Lakes Trailhead

Tyee Lakes boost 6 lakes with a steep 2000 vertical feet climb to Lake #5.  So yes, this is a tough hike, and very steep!  This trail is far less traveled than the other trailheads in the canyon that takes you to pristine backcountry lakes.  This trail also goes all the way through to Lake Sabrina if you choose.

If you’re wondering why some of the photos are hazy, it was due to large fire out of control in Yosemite.  The amount of smoke depended on what way the wind was blowing and the Tyee hike was one of the worst days from this trip.

Wooden Bridge over South Fork of Bishop Creek

Tyee Lake Trail

Tyee lakes trail is a series of switchbacks that weaves through the forest.  The first lake at 1.4 miles is a welcome sight with ample small Brook trout to wet your line if you choose to do so.

#1 Tyee Lake

2nd Tyee Lake is about another ½ mile up a steep trail.  2nd Tyee Lake is a shallow grassy lake full of small Brookies.

2nd Tyee Lake

3rd Tyee Lake is on your left from the trail tucked in under the mountain a short distance away.

3rd Tyee Lake

Tyee Lakes to be continued………………………………………………………………………………..

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2017, 07:06:48 AM »

Tyee Lakes

Another steep set of switchbacks brings you to 4th Tyee Lake.  Spectacular views and great fishing can be had here.  I found equal numbers of Brookies and Rainbows at #4 Tyee Lake.

4th Tyee Lake

#4 Tyee Lake Brookie

#4 Tyee Lake Rainbow

To get to the 5th Tyee Lake, hike around south side of #4 Tyee Lake as it ascends through the rocky landscape.  It’s a short but steep hike to up to 5th Tyee Lake.  This is a great fishing lake and very scenic. 

5th Tyee Lake

5th Tyee Lake

This was my target lake for this hike and highly recommended by the Smiths.  Rainbows up to 16” if you can make it up to this lake.  I was exhausted but happy as I landed and released about 25-30 Rainbows during my short stay here.  Again dry flies were highly successful with these aggressive acrobatic Rainbows.

Rainbows

Rainbows

Rainbows

By the way, there is a 6th Tyee Lake but I did not fish it on this trip.  There is no trail to it.  To find it, follow northeast shore of 5th Tyee Lake until you come to the inlet. You need to scramble up the rocks following the creek and you will find 6th Tyee Lake.  6th Tyee Lake has Rainbows in the 10-12” range.  Great views from Table Mountain from here.

Like I mentioned before, this is a loop trail that can go all the way to Lake Sabrina, passing the two George Lakes on the way.  If you take it, turn right at the junction at Lake Sabrina.  It will be another 1.2 miles to the Lake Sabrina Trailhead from the junction. 

Next up is Lamarck Lakes

To be continued………………………………………………………………….

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 27, 2017, 02:59:03 PM »
Great report. My one trip to Tyee 5 several years ago, I caught a rainbow that was almost black. Seems someone posted a comment about it but can't remember for sure.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2017, 06:44:51 AM »
There were some interesting looking Rainbows out of Tyee #5.  Supposedly their diet dictates their color in this high country lake, so what they eat makes a big difference.  That being said, check some more of my catches that same day:

Dark colored Rainbow Trout

This Rainbow Trout looked almost like a Brown Trout but wrong colored dots

Par marks on this Rainbow Trout which is similar to a Golden Trout

Normal Looking Kamloop Rainbow Trout other than being a fatty!

Next up is Lamarck Lakes

To be continued………………………………………………………………….

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 29, 2017, 07:02:35 AM »

Lamarck Lakes

To get to the Lamarck Lake Trailhead, head to North Lake and park in the North Lake-Piute Pass Trailhead parking lot.  Start your hike here by walking back down the road you came in on until it reaches the road to the campground. Turn to the right and walk into the campground.  The trail begins to the right of the restrooms.

Trailhead Sign

Trailhead

Much of the foot traffic along the trail is to Lower Lamarck Lake, Wonder Lakes and most likely to the summit of Lamarck Col, a shortcut to Darwin bench and Evolution Valley.

Lamarck Lakes Trail passes by the Grass Lake trail junction during many of the rocky switchbacks on this hike.  You have to watch carefully as the trail junctions are easy to miss.

Grass Lake Junction

Grass Lake

You soon reach Lower Lamarck Lake, a beautiful lake in a gorgeous backcountry setting.  Lower Lamarck Lake holds only small Brook Trout.

Lower Lamarck Lake

Brook Trout

Small Brook Trout

Looking Back at Lower Lamarck Lake

The trail crosses the outlet of Lower Lamarck Lake as I make my way up the trail to Upper Lamarck Lake.  I follow the inlet as it cascades along the stream to a trail junction.  Signage is poor here so go right for Upper Lamarck Lake or left for Lamarck Col. (I go right).  Follow the narrow trail as it winds its way to Upper Lamarck Lake.

Lamarck Lakes to continue…………………………………………………
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:10:24 AM by wshawkins »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 29, 2017, 07:09:37 AM »

Lamarck Lakes

Outlet Creek

Upper Lamarck Lake

Upper Lamarck Lake

The first views of this lake are breathtaking.  The trail end here at the lakes outlet.  Upper Lamarck Lake is a good sized backcountry lake at 40 acres.  The lake is crystal clear and deep blue in color and holds a mix of Brookies and Rainbow Trout.  The trout tend to grow larger as well in this lake.

Brooke Trout

Brooke Trout

Rainbow Trout

Rainbow Trout

Fishing was very good here with catches in the double figures and very nice sized.  Fishing was best with wet flies and sight casting from large boulders as it was windy.  The wind picked up some more and Wooly Bugger with a trailing nymph worked out great.  Also going deep was very effective.

Upper Lamarck Lake is a backcountry gem!  Caught some my largest trout’s out of Upper Lamarck Lake during this trip.  But it’s a tough climb.  Like working out on a stair stepper, this hike never gave you a break!  And it was cold with the wind blowing but that’s typical here. 

Pond

Passing by a Lake

North Lake

Next time up to Bishop Creek Canyon I’m heading to Piute Pass for the special Brown Trout at Loch Leven Lake and Rainbows at Piute Lake.  I’m always in a hurry to get to Humphreys Basin so have not spent much time at these two lakes.  There are also some nice Rainbow lakes out of the Lake Sabrina Trailhead that I’ll leave nameless for now.

That’s all I have from this trip.  Hope you enjoyed my backcountry adventure into some great fishing lakes in Bishop Creek Canyon. :fishing3:

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:11:20 AM by wshawkins »

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2017, 04:17:51 AM »
Enjoyed it as always, wshawkins!  Your coverage of the lakes, trails and fish pics are inspiring and much appreciated.  Sets my mind to wandering for sure.  Thank you!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 05, 2017, 07:22:53 AM »
My husband and I hiked to Grass lake last summer , its a really Beautiful hike  :hiking2:  We didn't stay long ... I have never seen such large swarms of Mosquitos  :o They chased us out . I can't even imagine what they will be like this year . The few people we saw fishing had full netting on . 
The Creek is Waiting...