Author Topic: Parking in the campgrounds  (Read 1387 times)

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Parking in the campgrounds
« on: March 02, 2017, 05:03:01 PM »
After not being able to make my annual pilgrimage to Rock Creek last year, we have our plans ready for our trip this year in late August. I'm coming up from Riverside, my sister is coming down from Salt Lake City, and her best friend is driving down from Portland with her 5th wheel (no tent this year - yay!) But we'll obviously have three vehicles plus the 5th wheel. As I recall, you're normally allowed two vehicles per site, but it seems I remember a notice that if you have a third car, you can pay an extra fee to park in the site. Am I hallucinating, or does that sound right? At least we're now past the threshold to use a Golden Adventure pass  (probably the only benefit to becoming a "senior citizen) We may end up having to get two sites, one just for parking. Our vehicles aren't small (an F250 diesel, a Suburban, and a minivan)

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Parking in the campgrounds
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 05:26:48 PM »
I know that on the creek side of French Camp there are 3-4 areas where 4 cars can park..I know the guys who always camp next to me for the opener always park one of their cars there and have never had to pay as they are already paying for the campsite...I think the 5.00 fee is just for people using it as day use only.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 02:20:06 AM »
Your site fee pays for two vehicles and the trailer counts as one. If there is room for more you can park more but the fee is $5 per. As Retired mentioned they often don't enforce the extra fee but be prepared just the same. Most campgrounds have overflow parking near the entrance that is free to use.

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 04:13:39 PM »
That's exactly what I needed[img]to know. $5 per day ain't going to bother me. Being at Rock Creek with my sister is priceless!

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »
Not sure if it different for other campgrounds (doubt it as they are run by the same entity). East Fork has overflow parking By the Camp host sites. It is $7 per vehicle per day. Trailers count as one so the trailer and tow vehicle will take up the reservation spot. Also depends on the spot and trailer size, as some will not be able to fit both without the vehicle sticking into the road.

Do you have reservations for a spot? Depending on the trailer size, that time of year will be taking a big risk as spots are packed with people. What even might be available, good chance it will not fit a trailer of any size, or the pad might be at an angle that will not be able to level the trailer. Do not want to sound bad, but it would really stink to haul up there and have no place to park it.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 07:33:18 PM »
We always camp in Big Meadow, have been for many years. Experience has shown us that arriving on Sunday morning (August 27 this year) around 9:00 AM is a perfect time to snag a good site. We've been able to get Big Meadow #8 for about 6 years in a row, big site and right on the creek. In 2015, we were the only campers in the whole campground from Monday through Friday. That was surreal, just us and Mrs Yogi and little BooBoo.

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 02:41:11 PM »
They used to be pretty easygoing about the fee if your car would fit in the site .My experience for the last few years You Will be charged per day for your vehicle  :trailer:
The Creek is Waiting...

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 05:10:02 PM »

Big Steve, if my memory serves me right #8 is the one spot that you can get all your stuff in plus it is private as you said. We always seem to get #2 and we love it. Yes it is amazing that late summer before Labor Day Big Meadows can be empty. Your right about Sunday morning it always works for us too. Hope you get that site, and have a great trip!