Author Topic: Campgrounds  (Read 3106 times)

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Campgrounds
« on: March 04, 2017, 09:44:43 PM »
On another fishing site 2 people that had reservations for Convict lake and Tuff campground were advised their reservations were cancelled due to weather..
They were planning on the first week of May.....Seems a little early to think about cancelling reservations when we have no idea how the weather will two months down the road.

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Campgrounds
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 06:46:06 AM »
I'm only guessing retired, but that could be due to the vendors plan to man the campgrounds based on weather predictions.

Too soon, of course. But I could see them needing to have a plan on when to mobilize.

If I had to guess, I would think the season will start later than usual this year too. But who knows.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 10:26:48 AM »
Not being able to find a site is really pissing me off.
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 10:35:29 AM »
All the camps say they open may 5th. That's a little late.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 10:54:40 AM »
mcgee creeks website says they are opening april 24th, and they are taking phone reservations...  does the site need to updated?
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 03:27:51 PM »
Wait wait wait. What site are you getting that info from?? The reserve America site says it's closed until the 5th and all reservations have been cancelled and refunded.

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 03:29:16 PM »
Hmm I'm thinking that must be the private RV camp at the bottom of the hill by the fish ponds?

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »
this website...

http://mcgeecreekrv-campground.com/

it may be the lower one..  my oops if it is.. but maybe they will have a site?

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 07:57:33 AM »
That is the RV park across from McGee Creek Lodge...I checked there for some friends who wanted a site for opener years ago, they were booked way in advance. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try, but don't hold your breath.
Snow is melting fast at lower elevations (Tuff and French), 3 to 4 inches a day in my back yard, there's a month to go, things might change for the better. Open water starting to show on Crowley...who know what might happen?

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 06:30:24 PM »
does Retired have any secret acess to the host at french camp to get some inside info on acess to french?

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 06:20:15 AM »
I'm praying that the snow melts in French Camp...I'm gonna be upset if there is no place to camp for the opener...Saw a photo someone took yesterday and there is still a lot of snow in the campground.  I find it a little hard to believe that the campgrounds will be buried in snow for the opener...For the 2011 opener after the record snow year there was no snow at all in Tuff or French.

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 08:04:26 AM »
On my way to Sunny Slopes yesterday, I saw a truck, trailer and a Bobcat "loader" at the entrance to Tuff Camp. It looks like they're trying to clear the snow, but a Bobcat? Not the most powerful piece of equipment...I'll keep everybody up to date as to how far they get.
There's always Holiday...the gate's been open all winter.

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 08:06:48 AM »
Someone posted a photo of the entrance to Holiday yesterday and it had a lot of snow on the entry road.

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 01:02:16 PM »
I didn't say it would be easy....
Walked into Tuff a while ago, the Bobcat is clearing the first loop of campgrounds, maybe two feet of snow down there...the truck is from a contractor in Bishop, so they may be paying big bucks for the work...maybe they'll do French? I think they could have waited a while, Mother Nature might have taken care of it anyway...my back yard has half the snow it had a week ago.

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 11:33:53 AM »
Cheer up, campers, all is not lost. They've plowed Tuff Camp all the way to the bottom, including plowing all the site driveways. It's kind of messy right now, mud and snow and running water, but if it stays warm, it could do the trick by the end of April.
They also plowed in French. I walked Tuff today, will go into French tomorrow, look for another report.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 12:23:18 PM »
yay Scout!     thank you !

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 11:29:07 AM »
It looks like they plowed all the roads through French Camp, except for the site driveways...they did the camp host site, but I didn't see any others done. I didn't go all the way to the top, maybe they're working on them up higher. A little more snow up there, maybe three feet in shady spots, but lots of bare dirt too...if it stays warm, it could be okay.
I wonder if or when they'll change their opening dates?

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 07:54:02 PM »
I need to know if the gate to McGee is open or will be open for the opener? I've camped there for the opener (and closer) with no host just am open gate. I'm hoping that will be the case this year..

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 06:57:02 PM »
Update: I have figured my situation out as best I could. I'm hoping for the best this weekend. Flying blind, but I'm sure It'll all work out.