Author Topic: Request RCL Info  (Read 10486 times)

Clint

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Picture Perfect Photography
Request RCL Info
« on: March 22, 2017, 11:15:28 AM »
Hello Fellow Creekers,

I've been going fishing to RCL for over 25 years, but in all these years I've never had the opportunity to see the lake frozen. A couple of weeks ago I decided to do an over nighter just to photograph the lake.

I arrived at Tom's Place at 5AM but to my greatest disappointed, I had no idea that the 9 mile road was not plowed. I attempted to hike the 9 mile journey up in the snow and despite the extreme difficulty, I managed to make it up to Snow Park (I believe 6 miles in). However I had to quit when I was no longer able to move past that point because I was falling waist deep in the snow.  :( So reluctantly I hiked back down the 6 miles.  :cold:

So my question is, does anyone know when they will clear the road all the way up to the lake? I'd really, really (really) like to make it there before the lake melts!!! Any advice would be most appreciated.

BTW, here's some pics of that trip, in-case anyone cares;
https://sherin.smugmug.com/RCL-2017

Thank you all.

Clint

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
Re: Request RCL Info
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 01:01:13 PM »
It is usually plowed to the lake for the opening of fishing season (Fishmas), April 29 this year.

:fishing3:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 01:05:59 PM »

Rock Creek Road has a low priority for snow removal, best to call ahead to make sure.  Rock Creek Lodge is your best bet as they are open this winter and pick up quests daily (877-935-4170).  Also Toms Place usually is up to date on Rock Creek road conditions (760-935-4259).
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Clint

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 10:37:54 AM »
Thank you!  :chestbump:

Clint

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 01:41:06 PM »
Hello Wshawkins

I've been trying those 2 numbers but I keep getting a machine. No one ever picks up.
Do you have another place I can try calling?
Or maybe do you know know now by any chance when the road up to RCL will be plowed?

Thanks,

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 06:08:54 PM »
Right now Road Creek Road is open for seven miles up to the snow park.  The week of the 10th Mono County is scheduled for plowing the rest of the road getting ready for the opener.  But there is another big storm coming in this weekend that could delay the plowing schedule. :shoveling:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 06:18:33 PM »
The last time it snowed like this the road was only plowed to the snow park.  On the chance they get it plowed to the lake, expect it only to be plowed to the entrance as the campground will not be open.  If you have 4WD you might be able to make it to the boat ramp.  Also be prepared to hike into the lake to fish and there is a chance the lake would still be frozen, don't know if anyone has reported on a thaw yet. You can call Tom's Place for road conditions 760-935-4239...number posted above was off by one number. 
The creek is waiting...

Clint

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 08:34:08 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I don't care about the campground. My main focus is to photograph the lake while it's still frozen. That's the whole point of this post, so timing is critical. Since I'm 5 hours away, I need to be able to find someone or some way to get accurate up to date malformation on the road, so I can make it up there before the lake melts.

I'll try the other number you gave me. Hopefully I can reach someone.

Thank you again!!

Dave

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 03:05:34 PM »
Just wanted to give you some information the conditions at RCL this past weekend. Road is clear up to East Fork Campground. Got there about 11am and started walking up the road that they're currently plowing but decided to cut down through the East Fork Campground and follow the tracks of the snowmobiles up to Rock Creek Lodge. Snow conditions: didn't need snow shoes, snow had iced over. Made it up to the lodge and from there i walked across one of the bridges to the main road. Followed the road up to Rock Creek Resort and over to the lake. The lake is still frozen with several feet of snow over it. I'm sure by next weekend they'll have even more of the road cleared to walk on. Made it back to the car by 2pm.

Clint

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 03:29:40 PM »
Dave,
Thank you so much for the update. I was actually planning on driving this afternoon but decided against it because the road is not plowed all the way up to the lake. I spoke briefly to one of the guys that plows the road earlier this week, and he said that folks are able to hike to the lake because it's now icy & solid--unlike a few weeks ago when I tried it & fell thigh deep in snow. I guess they're taking your route?

At any rate, I'm planning on going up next Sunday. Hopefully the road will be accessible to the lake, yet with lots of white stuff all over the trees, and of course a frozen lake. My main objective is to get there before the lake even starts to melt. I'm really looking forward to it.

Again, thanks for thee feedback. I appreciate your update!!
Happy Easter weekend to you.

Clint

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 07:51:38 PM »
this is rock creek road above Eastfork.. the plowing has begun!  (posted on facebook by the mono county tourism)

Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Clint

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 09:09:39 PM »
Very cool, thanks you!
Clint

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 11:35:42 AM »
Hey, what's all that white stuff in my camping spot!
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 02:49:02 PM »
Maybe butter that was left out?
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 10:05:15 AM »
Great shot of the plow!
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

Clint

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 10:38:53 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Anyone know of the progress (or future progress) of the plowing?
Do they anticipate the road to be plowed all the way up to the lake by Sunday?

If you have any tidbits of useful info please let me know.  :doglick:

Thanks,
Clint

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 12:08:51 PM »
Sorry I don't have (but probably now should) have the following phone numbers or URL links, but would encourage to you to 'Google' or otherwise research and contact the following and ask each of them the questions:

- USDA Forest Service White Mountain Ranger Station/District Office in Mammoth Lakes

- Mono County Department of Transportation/Roads/ or etc - County Seat is in Bridgeport, Mono County, CA
 - - Search for a Sub Station at Sherwin Grade, or nearby.

- Call Tom's Place and see if they have any info from employees that work for above agencies that might frequent their Restaurant/Bar

- Call Rock Creek LODGE (not Resort)

And if fortunate enough, we might hear first hand from Scout who has first hand knowledge and likely contacts at all of the above.

Best of Luck - and Be Safe on Sunday

Clint

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 12:26:43 PM »
Thank you!

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 08:24:14 AM »
Inyo county sherriff's office posted this today:

Current Road Conditions for Inyo County Mountain Roads:

1) Upper Rock Creek, above Tom’s place – CLOSED- Mono County is expected to begin snow removal operations the week of April 17th (weather permitting). Inyo Road Dept. will not be able to access or estimate the snow removal timeline for the last mile of Rock Creek Rd. in Inyo County until the week of May 1st.

2) Pine Creek Rd. – OPEN- No restrictions

3) Sabrina Rd. - CLOSED- Inyo section, one lane clearing operations to the (unplowed) USFS parking lot, 0-5’ of snow on roadway. Due to avalanche concerns, snow removal operations have been suspended until this storm cycle ends (approximately May 1st). The lake is currently covered in 2-6’ of snow. Caltrans section, unknown timeline to opening.

4) North Lake Rd. – CLOSED- Currently 0-5’ of snow on road way, due to the narrow and hazardous sections of road, there are no immediate plans to open North Lake Rd. conditions will be monitored and reassessed May 1st.

5) South Lake Rd. – CLOSED- Closure is at the Bishop Creek Lodge, one lane clearing operations to the Pack Station, 2’-6’of snow, operations dependent on weather and avalanche conditions.

6) Glacier Lodge Rd. -OPEN- No restrictions

7) Onion Valley Rd. – CLOSED- Closure is at Seven Pines Rd., Currently clearing as weather and conditions permit, anticipated opening May 1st.

8) Whitney Portal Rd. – CLOSED- Closure is just above Hogback Rd., snow/rock removal operation is in process, anticipated opening May 1st to the USFS parking lot.

9) Horseshoe Meadows Rd. – CLOSED- Due to road structural damage and rockslides; Inyo County is currently working with partner agencies on repair options. Anticipated opening June/July.

10) Nine Mile Rd. – OPEN – No restrictions.

*The large quantity of snow this winter, and the weather patterns, is hampering the spring road opening operations. As storms continue, expect and be prepared for, changes to road conditions

Clint

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 08:26:46 AM »
Oh noooo!

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 08:27:55 AM »
kind of a list of 'you cant get there from here'.....

Clint

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2017, 08:39:39 AM »
I just spoke with one of the guys that plows the road, and he said that folks are hiking up the road past his plowing area, even though it's not plowed all the way up. However he's not sure if they are able to hike all the way up to the lake or not. He "thinks" they are.

I'd hate to make the 5-hour trip again only to find out that I can't make it to the lake. I don't care about how far the hike is, just as long as it's physically doable (no deep snow).

Anyone out there made it to the lake or talked to someone that did?

Thanks,

Hillbasher

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 11:46:31 AM »
If you don't own any, rent some snowshoes. You will make it then, as all you are doing is walking up a road.

Clint

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 01:01:39 PM »
Hey Hillbasher,

I was told the snow is compacted, so you can hike on it. Is that incorrect?
Also, where do you rent them? Nothing here in LA.

Thanks for your suggestion!
lint

Dave

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 05:40:30 PM »
Clint, Eastside sports  in Bishop rent snow for 12 bucks a day. From east fork to the Rock creek lake is just under 3 miles. When I hiked it last week the snow was crusted and supported my 230 lb frame with no "post holing" I would think by now they would have even more of the road plowed but probably just for foot traffic no cars. Going up took me two Hrs and only an Hr to get down. I haven't been able to figure out how to post Pic yet on this form but if I figure it out I will. Good luck!