Author Topic: Fishing the Sierra San Pedro Martir  (Read 1810 times)

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Fishing the Sierra San Pedro Martir
« on: April 13, 2017, 07:27:54 AM »
This is for you, Warren!

Left for Mexico early on Palm Sunday.  Stopped to get my FMM (Mexican tourist visa) just before crossing, I was the only person at the border at 6:15 AM.  When I picked up my FMM and left, there were two cars in front of me, and two Mexican cops at the secondary.  They each grabbed one of those cars for inspection and I just sailed through with a smile and a wave.  Nice to be third in line at that time.

We left from my friend Cathy's place at K55, Campo Lopez.  Just below the Halfway House on Hwy 1

After going in circles in Ensenada for about an hour, we finally found Hwy 3 east toward San Felipe.  A couple hours later we arrived at the turnoff to Mike's Sky Rancho.  I stopped to drop the air pressure in my tires (to 25 psi) for the 20 mile dirt road into Mike's.  Pretty easy and lowering tire pressure really made the ride smoother, for sure.

Found some interesting plants, not sure their botanical name, Beercanus Yuccai, I think. This is the entrance to a small rancho (San Javier) on the way to Mike's.  Looks like a fun place to me.  I wish those beer plants grew in my yard.

An abandoned rancho further along the road, built of stone.

Not sure what they used to grow, but Cathy called it "cattle corn" but it looks like mule ears or something like that to me.  Maybe someone can identify?

Arriving at Mike's Sky Rancho, after 18 miles on my odometer.  No one here but us at 1 PM Monday.

This place is a very famous stopover for offroaders, racers, and adventure riders.  Soon after a group of Razors, some moto tour group with KTMs,  a couple guys on Huskies, and some Jeeps showed up.  It went from two guests to about 40 within hours.

This place can handle 70 guests.  It's $70 a night for a room, dinner and breakfast.  I was going to camp out, but it would have saved me $10, so I got a room of my own.  They let us drink the beer we brought, and even offered to let us use the refrigerator.  How cool is that?  I love Mexico!  Here's the pool/patio area.  Pool not used until summer so it's left low.

Okay, so here's the part you all waited for.  It's a long hike to get the the "cascada" probably 3 miles.  I left at about 6:30 and got back at noon.  I tried nymphs and had no luck, was about accept the skunk.  Then, I tied on a parachute black ant and got some interest.  Got a small fish to at least give me some hope. 

I backtracked and tried to get above the falls, but as you can see, it was pretty brutal.  I was by myself, no one can help me, and I'm no fool.  I'll save it for the next trip.

Found this bigger model on the way back down, which gave me at least two Nelson's trout, good enough for me.

(Oncorhynchus mykiss nelsoni)

I'm going back next year, anyone interested let me know.  I'm backpacking above the falls from the old dirt road.

John

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing the Sierra San Pedro Martir
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 10:42:33 AM »
WOW!   what a fun trip!!!

I love the beer yuccas!

Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 10:48:20 AM »
A few hours out from the seaport town of Ensenada, but I bet it seemed a world away.  Not many trout streams in Baja California that yield Rainbow Trout (Nelsonís Trout).  Well you knocked that off your bucket list!

Nice trip report John.  I expected the road into Mikeís Ranch to be bit rougher!  You must have lucked out.  You also smart enough to bring your fishing gear.  Nice catches, especially the second one.  Thatís decent size for up there. :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 01:32:00 PM »
Enjoyed the report. The beercanus is too cool!
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

RockToad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 03:14:38 PM »
Thanks so much for the Awesome Pictures :clap:.

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 03:54:08 PM »
A few hours out from the seaport town of Ensenada, but I bet it seemed a world away.  Not many trout streams in Baja California that yield Rainbow Trout (Nelsonís Trout).  Well you knocked that off your bucket list!

Nice trip report John.  I expected the road into Mikeís Ranch to be bit rougher!  You must have lucked out.  You also smart enough to bring your fishing gear.  Nice catches, especially the second one.  Thatís decent size for up there. :fishing3:

I went in search of those trout, a small adventure. Thanks for reading!  I appreciate it.

John
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:56:23 PM by John Harper »

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 05:42:57 PM »
 :clap:   Great job, sir. That truly was a well done adventure. I applaud the effort to catch a rare trout like that.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 05:30:30 AM »
Wow. The road has changed to Mike's since I went there in '74.  They had a couple Caterpillar tractors, a DC9 and skip loader as I recall, that would head out to get people 'unstuck' on the roads.  Cool trip, John!  Thanks for the pics and sharing it.  For $70 a night including 2 meals you scored there, too!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.