Author Topic: Beginner Fly Fishing  (Read 4985 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner Fly Fishing
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2017, 11:12:07 AM »
Always enjoyed the fishing at Alger Lakes, especially when the afternoon winds kicked up.  Itís like somebody rang the dinner bell and all the Goldens came up to feed at the same time.  Enjoy! :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Fishing4Gold

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2017, 09:13:06 AM »
Anyone have a preferred strike indicator to use? I ordered some loon biostrike putty that you're supposed to just shape around your line, it had great reviews and seemed simple and effective in the video I watched, any replies are appreciated!
Tight Lines!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2017, 04:39:53 PM »
Never tried Loon BioStrike Leader Putty before.  I like that it gives you the option to make your strike indicator as large or small as it needed it to be.  There is a variety of Strike Indicators for Fly Fishing out there.  Everyone has their favorites.  Mine are as follows as well some of the positives I see:

Palsaģ Strike Indicators:

I have had fewer missed strikes when fishing for trout in the Eastern Sierra thanks to these strike indicators.  I normally fish a 5 weight line for trout in streams and lakes and these work best for the fishing I do.  There easy to attach, stay where you place them and are highly visible. Low cost for pack of 24.

Palsa Strike Indicators are among the best indicators on the market I believe, very light weight for ease of casting and result in a nice gentle landing on the water surface, resulting in fewer spooked fish. They are also adjustable by sliding up and down the leader and re-pinching for optimal depth. If the stream flow or weight of the fly is too much for 1 indicator, simply add another.  Green is my go-to color.

Thingamabobber Strike Indicator:

I have been using thingamabobbers for several years. They stay afloat and are easy to see, especially when you get a strike. I highly recommend these in streams and lakes.  These indicators stay on the line and donít slide up or down the line during casting and also very easy for you to adjust the bobber to the proper depth.

Easy on and off and floats all day.  Suspends weighted flies easily and does cast pretty well.  The rubber grommet keeps them from sliding and you can even tie flies with them.  Works best while fishing a nymph with a dropper. I've used them with both 3 and 5-weight rods and they cast with ease. 

Also, the Thingamabobber is perfect for the novice fly fisherman. Their design and construction makes seeing those subtle trout strikes more noticeable to the beginner.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Fishing4Gold

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2017, 09:17:17 PM »
I've never seen anything about the Palsas before, I'll have to look them up and maybe order a pack! And as for the thingamabobber I've heard nothing but good things about them, Thanks WS!
 Tight Lines!

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 01:23:34 PM »
Bill
time for us to go have fun this summer.
you have received great advice for all.
the only thing i can add much to Scout's chagrin is if you get the bug to buy more fly rods go to a 3wt for rock creek and it back county.
Maybe be 4wt.
I have all three and what I showed you was a 3wt.

welcome Fishing4Gold

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 08:01:44 AM »
I've been fishing the back country with a 6 foot 3 weight Orvis that I built in the mid 90's....I'm not chagrined at all.

Fishing4Gold

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2017, 10:00:06 PM »
Heading up this coming Friday for a week, got all my stuff ready and the cameras packed so I'll try to get some nice pictures of the Silver Lake area and wherever else we end up fishing. Tight Lines to all!

PS: any last minute tips that will help me win the big fish bet  :lol2: