Author Topic: Campground Help  (Read 1616 times)

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Campground Help
« on: May 20, 2017, 10:04:09 AM »
Hey All,

We have a reservation at Four Jeffreys campground in Bishop for June 7th.  I have heard they have not opened due to a water issue.  Does anyone by chance know if this issue is resolved and the campground is open?  I cannot reach anyone up there.  I cannot find any info on the internet either regarding this issue.  Does anyone have a phone number of who would have the details?  We want to have a backup plan in case there are still issues there.  Thanks for any suggestions or help you can provide.

Cheers,
Acquaman

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Campground Help
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 03:26:14 PM »
I wish I had contact info for you Aquaman.

My back up plan would be to head up the hill to RC.

You're arriving mid week before the main summer rush of "schools out".

I can't imagine you not finding a spot in one of the Meadows or French. Too, I'm thinking the lower loop of East Fork could be open by then.

Go for it, and good luck.

Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 07:55:50 AM »
Per the Forest Service site it is closed,,,no info on when it may open...
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=20336&actid=29

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 11:24:47 AM »
I did find out on Reserve America they are anticipating a June 1st opening.  If that does not happen we will be up in Rock Creek for sure.  We were bringing a trailer for the first time so that is why we made a reservation.  We will leave the trailer at home if heading to Rock Creek.  Thanks for the input.

Cheers,
Tony

Tight Lines!!!

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 12:40:06 PM »
Go on their Facebook page or you could try Bishop Creek Lodge Facebook site . That's where they have been posting info .
The Creek is Waiting...

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 09:34:06 AM »
So our reservation was cancelled and money refunded.  The campground is now stating an opening of June 15th.  We will now be staying somewhere in the Rock Creek area.  Excited to get up there and get into some trout for sure!

Cheers,
Tony

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 11:57:22 AM »
With East Fork closed along with a few other spots up Rock Creek I'm concerned the spots that are open might be crowded or full.  French and Tuff both have a few spots open.  I'm thinking about booking a couple spots just in case.  I have never camped at either of them.  For those of you that have camped at both can you offer the positives and negatives of both spots.  Tuff looks a nice spot right on the creek and the spots available look good size.  I appreciate any input that can be offered.

Cheers,
Tony

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 06:41:42 PM »
Tuff has very few trees so not much shade in the campground...I personally like the creek side sites in French, close to the creek and you don't have any campers on the other side of the road like you have on the main road entering the campground... The upper sites have less traffic as people use the cross overs to exit the campground..

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 09:41:28 AM »
Thanks Retired for the info.  We booked Tuff as we found two spots together that were big enough for our trailer.  Hoping we can find something at Iris or Big Meadow but wanted a backup plan.  Thanks again.

Cheers,
Tony

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 01:15:53 PM »
In Iris Meadow sites 1-8 are pretty much tent sites have never seen a rv or trailer in those sites..9-14 are in the open meadow area and have no trees in the site but they can handle large trailers or rv's....Personally I think those sites are terrible as you have no privacy from the folks on either side of you.

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 11:19:37 AM »
After spending days in French Camp for Rocktober last year, agree with Retired. Would prefer French over Iris for sure. I think you are smart with reservations as I have gone in the past to find no decent spots in the whole canyon. And that was tent camping. Way harder to find spots to fit a trailer on the get go. Especially up there if it is larger then 24 feet.

With East Fork not open, that will have a major impact as its the biggest camp up there. Pine Grove and Upper Pine will also create more impact also.

No matter, it will be good for you as you will be up there, and I will be at home! :(
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.