Author Topic: How likely is it the Rock Creek Lake Campground will be full from June 9th-12th?  (Read 1922 times)

timu94

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Registration Form
I'm reading on recreation.gov that Rock Creek Lake is a Walk-in, first come-first-serve, campground and I'm wondering if it will be full if I arrive on Friday June 9th around 4pm. It would be a total bummer if I drive over 6 hours just to be told the campground is full with no spaces available for us  :lightning: 

If that happens what should we do? It would be miserable to be stranded 6 hours from home with nowhere to stay

Thank you to anyone who replies! It's very much appreciated  :clap:

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
that campground right at the lake, may not even be open by june 9th due to the snow

but thee are several campgrounds in the rock creek canyon to choose from.. and personally, I think the others are nicer campgrounds to stay at:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
If you have never stayed at the campground at the lake you should know it gets a lot of vehicle traffic...I compare it to camping on the San Diego freeway.There are many other campgrounds in Rock Creek that would have much less traffic..  I was up there last week and there is still a lot of snow in the campground and its a gamble if it would be open....I know the campground host for that campground are currently working at French Camp.

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
There are 7 other campgrounds on that road I am sure you will find a site :tent:
The Creek is Waiting...

Engine27

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
 I was at rock Creek today and they're still no access to that side of the lake, the lake is still 90% covered in snow and they have not plowed the road from the store to the lake , I hope this helps, Ray.

timu94

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Registration Form
The website says it will be opened May 26th, I'm not sure if that is 100% accurate though.. Would I be better off making a reservation? Which campgrounds would you guys recommend? East fork is all reserved at the moment, not sure how the walk-in policies at the other sites are like. Thank you guys for the replies!!

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
You have French at the bottom of the hill with 84 sites, 20 of them are creek side...Iris and big meadow half way up the road...

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Eastfork has a lot of sites that are first come first serve...     (tho I haven't heard if eastfork is open yet?)    but it is at a lower elevation than the campground at the lake, so it will open before that one.

Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Just another opinion:

The Walk In sites at the lake are under whelming.

The other campground is literally just a parking lot. And as retired pointed out has a lot of people walking around and auto traffic noise.

Those sites also have the coldest night time lows in the canyon, particularly in spring and fall.

The only good thing about those sites is it has easy access to the lake. FYI, the lake has different fishing regs then the rest of the canyon as it's in a different county (you can fish all night at the lake if that's your thing).

Imo, the lake offers the worst campsites in the canyon (what LHR said).

imo
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Still Mostly Spinning

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Rock Creek's Message Board
Those campsites are walk in alright.  If you've never seen them, you need to be a light camper.  All gear must be hauled a pretty good distance. I've seen wheel barrows there, maybe they're provided by park service.  I bet it would not be a suitable campsite in 3 weeks.  Even if it was a dry year, those campsites would take a little more planning.  Not a good first choice site unseen.  If you're a backpack style camper, there are sites above Mosquito Flat.  Again, maybe not this year.

Have fun.

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Honestly, with the conditions this year, the time you are going I would book a spot in French Camp. While it is lower elevation, it has nice spots nestled in pinion pines. Easy access to Toms Place and good to hit other areas without having to come down canyon. And if it matters to you, cell service is still attainable.

Even if the campgrounds are open, spots might be limited as some could still be covered in snow reducing what is available. I have done the drive to come up empty with no good spots. Not a fun way to start the vacation.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Mr. Magoo

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Rock Creek Lakes Resort, California's Eastern Sierra https://www.facebook.com/RockCreekLake?ref=hl
added 9 new photos with Kerry Robinson.
May 20 at 10:06am
Updated photos of Rock Creek Lake, taken this morning (5-20-17).

Mr. Magoo

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 02:34:24 PM by Mr. Magoo »

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
I was up there sunday and most of the lake area is covered in snow...and if it wasn't,  you are picking the worst time to arrive anyway,  4 pm on a friday lol.  I know,  work comes first,  but that's still a tough time.   The desert,  I mean,  French camp,  might be a better option  :lol2:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

timu94

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Registration Form
Sorry for the constant stream of questions guys! I was wondering what the fishing is like up there right now  :fishing3: I've never fly fished so I'll probably just use a sinker and some garlic power bait, any tips for a newbie? You've all been super helpful!  :chestbump:

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
I was up there for 5 days May 9-14 and the fishing was downright slow..Rock creek was fast roaring white water, Upper Owens was downright horrible. 10 hours of fishing the river and I caught one fish and never had one bite after that...

timu94

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Registration Form
I was up there for 5 days May 9-14 and the fishing was downright slow..Rock creek was fast roaring white water, Upper Owens was downright horrible. 10 hours of fishing the river and I caught one fish and never had one bite after that...

Oh no! Do you think it will be better now that the lake was stocked on the 21st of May? Or is it just the water conditions that have made fishing slow?

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
The water is high and cold,  without a doubt the worst conditions for fly fishing.  I do know they've been getting the trout on bait down in Tuffs camp  :fishing3:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...