Author Topic: Rock Creek Lake Thawed?  (Read 1698 times)

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Rock Creek Lake Thawed?
« on: May 31, 2017, 09:44:51 AM »
Morning,

Has the lake thawed out yet?  Are all the campgrounds up Rock Creek now open?  I'm guessing the ones by the lake are still closed.  Heading up next Wednesday and want to be prepared.  Can wait to get on the water.

Cheer,
Tony

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Creek Lake Thawed?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 10:42:59 AM »
ReserveAmerica is saying East Fork will not open until 6-16-17 due to water issues.

Looks like your choices are French Camp, Big or Iris Meadows.

Last pic I saw of the lake it still was 80% ice, however with the temps between now and your arrival, that could change drastically.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Engine27

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 03:26:52 PM »
Was up at the lake a week ago caught and released 2 within an hour, I'm returning Friday for a week but don't know what day we hit Rock Creek lake. If it's before Wednesday I will post the results for you, Ray.

Engine27

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 03:32:51 PM »
Check my response on " request RCL info " it has a pic of the lake and info on the camp grounds when I was there a week ago, hope this helps, Ray.

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 08:43:13 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Does anyone know if the road is now clear to the lake and launch ramp?  Last report I read it was not.

Cheers,
Tony

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 09:46:53 AM »
Hey Tony.

I just dropped a dime to the Resort.

They are in the process of clearing the road from the Resort to the dock/launch ramp, the lake campgrounds, and other service roads with a tractor. The road to the doc is not yet open, but sounds like it will be soon.

The lake has a long way to go to be iced out. It's still 80% frozen. Their best guess is maybe 1 week, likely 2 weeks before they'll have rental boats available. With the warmer temps they're getting, that could change in a hurry. A little wind would help rid the ice as well.

Sounds like the lake will get it's initial stocking in the next week. Nothing will happen until the road down to the launch is cleared.

They are stocking at the lower campgrounds, Tuff, French, and he believes also at the Meadows.

Hope that helps.

Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 11:51:47 AM »
Playingmenace, I really appreciate the update.  Sounds like we should be able to at least drive up to the outlet of the lake and park.  Hopefully the ice breaks up enough so we can maneuver around on our float tubes.  I guess all we can do now is wait for mother nature to do her thing.  Thanks again for the info.

Cheers,
Tony

Mr. Magoo

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 02:09:49 PM »

The lake has a long way to go to be iced out. It's still 80% frozen. Their best guess is maybe 1 week, likely 2 weeks before they'll have rental boats available. With the warmer temps they're getting, that could change in a hurry. A little wind would help rid the ice as well.

Sounds like the lake will get it's initial stocking in the next week. Nothing will happen until the road down to the launch is cleared.

They are stocking at the lower campgrounds, Tuff, French, and he believes also at the Meadows.

Hope that helps.

Fish Planting Schedule
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/

Engine27

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 05:19:04 PM »
As of this morning the lake was over 50% thawed out and all shorelines were ice free, the ice does move around with the wind. Not all the campgrounds are open and the river is flowing like I have never seen it before. The outlet tube that feeds the river is at the top and the over flow tubes are flowing also. The water level is so high that picnic tables are in the water. The boat ramp is cleared of snow and the girls at the store said the lake was stocked a few days ago. Hope this helps, Ray.

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 10:50:21 AM »
Thanks Ray for the update.  It should be fun navigating around the icebergs on our float tubes for sure.  I read there are flood warnings by Crowley due to the heat and the creeks running so strong.  Hopefully Tuff campground is not having any issues or we will be in for a big surprise on Wednesday.  Can't wait to get up there and get a line in the waters.

Cheers,
Tony

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 05:14:42 PM »
When I was up there a few weeks ago, the creek was not running hard and fast thru Tuff like it was along Rock Creek road. I don't know if there is maybe some diversion that doesn't allow all the water from Rock Creek to run thru Tuff, but Tuff was not roaring fast water at all...

Engine27

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 07:04:25 PM »
Aquaman, was planning on going back to Rock Creeklater this week but we did so good today at Convict lake we may not make it back. We have fished most the lakes on the June lake loop and it's crazy how much water all the lakes have in them, and the rivers are all flowing so hard and fast it's dangerous to be near them. They are helicoptering steel beams to the dam at Gem lake to help support it due to the amount of water behind it. Good luck with the ice bergs and happy fishing, Ray.