Author Topic: Good Shooting Areas?  (Read 2782 times)

Bestfrets

• Junior Creeker
  • Saugus,CA
    • View Profile
Good Shooting Areas?
« on: June 09, 2017, 03:01:47 PM »
Heading up next week for 3 nights and a wanted to do some shooting along with fishing, any suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advance:-)
Michael.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Good Shooting Areas?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 07:50:03 PM »
I bet Roy will weigh in here soon  :clap:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 09:08:15 AM »
There is a spot off Owens River Road, it is an excellent spot to shoot.  An old borrow pit that lots of people use.  It's 4.3 miles east of Big Springs Campground.  It's on the right side as you head east on ORR.  You can easily find/see it if you use the satellite view on Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7412498,-118.8590401,1051m/data=!3m1!1e3

Here it is, there are shell casings littered all around, a popular spot:

John
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 06:37:37 AM by John Harper »

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 06:06:33 PM »
Roy must be fishing or shooting… So I'll try and help you out. If you're camping in Rock Creek Canyon you can easily access shooting areas across 395. Go down to the end of Rock Creek Road where it intersects with 395, go straight across 395. This is Owens Gorge Road. Follow the paved road and you will pass by some homes and cabins and after a few miles you will come upon Crowley Lake and the dam. Drive across the dam and continue on Owens Gorge Road, which turns into a gravel/dirt road.  There are many forest service roads that you can pull off and find open shooting areas. Abide by all posted signs and use good judgement.
The creek is waiting...

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 09:35:26 AM »
The only place I shoot is where John posted the photo...There is no hazard for anything in that area and in all the times I have shot there I have never seen another person.. Shooting into those high dirt banks eliminates any danger of a fire hazard...  If you do shoot there please remember to pick up your empty casings...

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 10:17:20 AM »
The only place I shoot is where John posted the photo...There is no hazard for anything in that area and in all the times I have shot there I have never seen another person.. Shooting into those high dirt banks eliminates any danger of a fire hazard...  If you do shoot there please remember to pick up your empty casings...

Yes, there were lots of .223 cases and .40 pistol cases.  I picked up most the ones I saw in my area, but people shoot from several spots out there.  I picked up  some of the trash/old targets out there too, but there was an old table and some plywood that was too big to take.

John

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 06:13:40 PM »
I always pick up my brass since I reload all I shoot and brass is expensive..

Bestfrets

• Junior Creeker
  • Saugus,CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 07:01:37 AM »
thanks everyone!!
going up for Fathers Day weekend with my Sons, can't wait!

Still Mostly Spinning

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Rock Creek's Message Board
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 04:43:50 PM »
I'd like to do some shooting while camping too.   Your suggestion looks like a great place, but that's a long way from Rock Creek.  I wonder if there would be blow back about shooting closer to Sand Canyon.
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5394591,-118.6680128,191m/data=!3m1!1e3

Still Mostly Spinning

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Rock Creek's Message Board
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 05:40:40 PM »
Cause it is permitted to target shoot in National Forest  https://www.fs.fed.us/visit/know-before-you-go/shooting
It would be fun to just take the .22s along.  Anybody have any experience with this?

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 07:34:38 PM »
I would not do it...see my post that will bring you to a shooting area that is 10 minutes from Tom's Place if you are looking for an area close to Rock Creek to do some recreational shooting. 
The creek is waiting...

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 02:01:27 PM »
rockncreek, I love your idea. when I go over the dam road? will the shooting areas be to the right or left side. and how far past the damn road do I go?

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 08:26:57 PM »
Hey there Marine One.  We usually head a few miles in on the road after the dam before turning off.  The closer areas are if you go left off the road, which is where we usually go.  There are a lot of dirt roads back there so you have a lot of options.
The creek is waiting...

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 07:59:03 AM »
Marine One...if you were to PM me before you come up to shoot, I can describe a good spot that's close, or take you there if you like....I don't like to publicize it, but I'll share with people I know....happy to do it.

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 08:16:14 AM »
Scout. You are the best! Ill let you know.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 12:45:30 PM »
something new on the west side this summer.. 'they' have banned target shooting in large areas of forest.. there have been several fires started by target shooters this year.  as far as I know, this is in the general area surrounding yosemite, kings, and sequoia .. but far more than just the parks themselves.
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 01:29:37 PM »
That is why I like my shooting area off the Owens River Road...It has very high raised dirt banks with no vegetation at all on the banks which could be a fire hazard....It might be a a distance to drive but I don't care....Its too much of a fire hazard if you are shooting in areas where there is dry vegetation.

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 05:14:07 PM »
retired96. I like the way you think.