Author Topic: Snow in the backcountry!  (Read 1076 times)

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Snow in the backcountry!
« on: June 16, 2017, 01:38:19 PM »
Hello everyone.
My family and I are headed up next week on Friday.  I see the lake has finally thawed but I'm told LLV probably still has a few feet of snow.
LLV is our typical go to for our hikes.  Any other recommendations for hikes in the area/backcountry fishing that may not have as much snow?
Thanks in advance and I will post some pics when we get back!
thanks

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: Snow in the backcountry!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 04:55:43 PM »
My 2 cents worth -

Probably need to look at hikes/destinations below 9,000 ft elevation if not lower.
Be VERY careful of any creek crossings, particularly with any children (i.e. avoid at all costs, not worth the risk)

I have never been, however some of the others on this board have posted great Trip Reports to the Davis Lake/Hilton Lakes Basin, particularly for early season hiking and for younger kids as well.........perhaps one of the group will be able to add to this suggestion.  There are two options from the Rock Creek Lake area and one longer but direct route up out of Crowley Lake Area.

Not far up northbound on 395 the McGee Creek Trail might be a possibility and if I am not mistaken there might be a beaver pond visible along the way.  If there is, the beavers might likely be very busy (no pun intended) protecting or rebuilding their habitat from the high runoff.

I am sure that many others will be able to share suggestions based on real experience. 

And remember, the sun's reflection off of the snow and water will be brutal - use the Highest Protection Level Sunscreen very liberally applied, Sunglasses, Hats, Mosquito Repellent and of course, Start and STAY Hydrated. (And all of the other precautions Mom and Dad used to tell you about.   :campfire: :cold: :rain: :lightning:)

Have a great trip!  All the best, P A C    :hiking2:

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 05:01:15 PM »
If there is still snow up around Mosquito flats,  that means the Davis/Hilton Lakes trail head is gonna buried as well.  A good hike now might be from East Fork up to the Lodge,  maybe further up along side the pond too.  No creek crossings involved  :clap:
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 09:48:54 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I'll give a report when I get back.

Thanks