Author Topic: Trip Report May 28 - June 2  (Read 3715 times)

Sierra Bright Dot

• New Creeker
  • Fishing the Creek since 1958
    • View Profile
Trip Report May 28 - June 2
« on: June 05, 2012, 07:11:07 PM »
Arrived at Big Meadow late morning on the 28th for our annual post-Mule Days R&R( we volunteer there for 10 days) Brought along some friends who have never been to Rock Creek. Big Meadow was mostly empty all week until Thursday. Had dinner at Tom's. We all hiked to Chickenfoot Lake on Tuesday.  Nice day not too many hikers but there were about 9 dogs at CF Lake! Stopped for pie on the way out, rhubarb and strawberry, delish! BBQ'd filet migon, fresh pineapple slices and mushrooms for dinner. Wed am I fished the Creek with my 3-4 wt fly rod. C&R'd three nice brown trout!! Which was good as I tripped over a branch on the ground and fell flat on my face walking back to camp, saved my rod!  I am still finding the bruises! BBQ'd steaks and shrimp for dinner and I made a peach cobbler in my dutch oven. Thursday our friend left so we headed to Mammoth for pizza lunch, visited the used bookstore(Book Chalet, $$ goes to the library) and I picked up a few flies at Rick's. The DFG stock truck was at Big Meadow in the afternoon and they released several net fulls in the usual spot between sites 8 & 9. Friday had one cup of coffee and headed out early to fish. Once again I had the whole creek to myself.  Had a great morning C&R'd seven Brown trout and one Rainbow! They were all pretty good size, 10 to 12 inches with two small browns.  The Rainbow was real silvery and it may have wintered over as the stockers never go after my flies.  Caught three nice browns on a fly I tied, all out of the same pool! It was a great morning and a the best way to celebrate my 54th year of fishing Rock Creek, thank you dad for teaching me to fish there!  Saw only 4 mosquitoes the whole week. Iris Meadow is still closed and the camp host said it may be a month before it is open, as they are building the new restroom. My husband didn't fish this time, content to sit in camp and read. Headed north for home on Saturday, we had light snow here this am so I bet the Creek got some too.

Creek Dude

• Humboldt Creeker
  • Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Trip Report May 28 - June 2
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 07:19:38 PM »
What's the new restroom like?  Pics?  It's really important you know, to take a pic of the pooper...

:thanks:  :lol2:
"Rock the Creek." - Hardrock

Sierra Bright Dot

• New Creeker
  • Fishing the Creek since 1958
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »
Sorry, Creek Dude I didn't take any pics of the new facilities at Big Meadow!  I did try it out several times. Looks like it is ADA compliable, lights comes on when you open the door and there is a vent fan that comes on or maybe stays on. Stainless steel sink and toilet bowl with a drain in the floor in the middle of each unit(if I was tent camping I'd be thinking solar shower drain!!). There is a light out on the front of the bldg that could have been positioned better (so it glows downward) I think the campers across from it will find the light bothersome at night.  I also hope they do a little bit more meadow restoration behind the building it is a bit churned up. I still vividly remember the old single hole plywood outhouse that was there back in the '50's and this, and the previous restroom, are certainly a big improvement over that smelly old thing!

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 09:06:22 PM »
Nice report !

Sounds like some good eating at your campsite.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 10:01:51 PM »
Sounds like the perfect trip to me.  Fish, eat, take  nap, go hiking, eat pie, more fishing, eat at Toms.  Sure sounded live heaven to me! :lol:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Sierra Girl

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 10:07:35 PM »
Great times Sierra Bright Dot!  Thanks for the report!

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 07:08:05 AM »
I like your menu, Sierra Bright Dot.  That takes the rough out of roughing it.  Really sound like you had a great trip.  Thanks for the post.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Scott

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 08:27:53 AM »
What a great trip you had Sierra Bright Dot!  Thanks.

flyGirl

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 08:36:42 AM »
Thanks for the trip report Sierra Bright Dot! 

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 09:35:11 AM »
thanks for the report SBD