Author Topic: Topaz Lake  (Read 708 times)

littlefish

• Junior Creeker
  • California Native and Sierra lover for 60 years
    • View Profile
Topaz Lake
« on: July 10, 2017, 08:43:06 AM »
Family event at Topaz next week.  My 1st time fishing up there. Any tips, advice or other comments will be appreciated.  Thanks.  lf

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Topaz Lake
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 12:11:17 PM »
Topaz Lake is very desert like, similar to Crowley Lake.  Topaz is a rather large lake; which makes fishing from a boat may be the best option. Trolling is usually a great way to hook into Topaz Lake’s trophy Brown and Rainbow trout. Topaz Lake Lodge rents them if you need one.  Topaz Lake also has a decent population of Smallmouth Bass to catch.

Shore casting can also be productive.  I like the great access along the western edge of the lake. Fishing season starts January 1st as winter and spring are usually the best times to fish Topaz Lake. So if you’re looking for so good off-season trout fishing, this is an excellent option.
Rainbow trout is the dominant sport fish here, with average size of about 12” but range from 10” to 20”.       

Boaters should troll the top 20 ft. of the water using Rapalas with flashers for best results. Most shore anglers use Power Bait or worms, but I have had good luck with lures and Woolly Buggers (size 6) casting out as far as possible for best results.

Another thing to know is water skiing and use of personal watercraft is a popular recreation when the weather begins to warm.  And in the afternoon the wind can really blow, so start your fishing early if possible.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 03:11:43 PM by wshawkins »
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

littlefish

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 08:31:21 AM »
Thanks, Hawk.  Will I need a Nevada FL?

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 08:54:19 AM »
Either a California or Nevada Fishing License works on Topaz Lake.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

littlefish

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 06:49:29 AM »
What about trolling with an old Dave Davis?

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 04:56:19 PM »
watch out for any thunderstorms that roll in... lightening loves to strike the lake,,, not a good thing if you are in an aluminum boat:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....