Author Topic: Tioga Pass Area  (Read 1905 times)

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Tioga Pass Area
« on: July 12, 2017, 03:44:37 PM »
So in living vicariously and also assisting a friend plan a trip, the news for this beautiful area's accessibility and local business' kept changing to a more and more dire outlook each of the past weeks, and here are the latest updates:  :reading:

The beautiful and historic Tioga Pass Resort has met it’s match this past heavy winter……
http://www.tiogapassresort.com/
Summer 2017 Hours & Information
*TPR HAS SUSTAINED SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE FROM THE RECORD WINTER SNOWFALL AND WILL NOT OPERATE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE*
Please follow us on social media for updates.
https://www.facebook.com/TiogaPassResort

Another nearby and beautiful destination, and sometimes alternative to the TPR as well as the gateway to the Twenty Lakes Basin is:

Saddlebag Lake Resort:
http://www.saddlebaglakeresort.com/ 
(Check out the picture on their Home Page as of July 2, 2017)  :shoveling:
2017 Opening???  With the snow accumulation this year it will be a while before we can open.  It looks like there might be some damage to the main General Store...  Until the snow melts and we are able to evaluate the facilities, we are not sure of an opening date for 2017.  (Previously they had posted anticipating an opening at END of July)

As much as I miss being able to go up there, and actually being there, I guess I’m not actually missing much……  :sing:

P A C

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Tioga Pass Area
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 04:58:10 PM »
i feel the ame way!   i cannot belive the pics of saddlebag lake resort!

up here, Desolation wilderness is still burried in snow.... its crazy!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

littlefish

• Junior Creeker
  • California Native and Sierra lover for 60 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 10:08:07 AM »
I have a Sept. reservation. Hoping for the best.  lf

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
UPDATE Re: Tioga Pass Area
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 11:01:27 AM »
Check out this article in the LA Times posted July 14,2017 - a couple of incredible photos of TPR and Tioga Pass entrance to YNP and area, along with first hand narrative involving an inside tour of the damage inflicted on the Resort Buildings - apparently more still possible, if not likely, due to current flooding concerns. 

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-flooding-sierra-nevada-20170714-htmlstory.html 

This beautiful building was incredibly well constructed, well maintained and reinforced over the years (several decades). It has withstood incredible conditions during this time.

To have sustained such incredible damage seen in the photos and conveyed in the narrative speaks to the incredible force of this past winter's storms and snow accumulations.  After spending so much time there over the past 35 years I am awestruck.

P A C

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 01:24:05 AM »
Read this weekend that Saddlebag Lake store will not be opening at all this year and that there will be no ferry boat. Pretty hard to make a living if you can't open the doors for an entire year.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 01:57:53 PM »
Wow bad news.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 03:24:27 PM »
Sad to hear this.  I spent quite a bit of time over the years in the Saddlebag Lake Resort café and using the Water Taxi to get excess to 20 lakes Basin.  The Tioga Pass will not be the same this year.

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 06:35:52 AM »
great article PAC...   I think there was a clue in the wording in it as well.. not hust heavy / large snowpack.. they referred to the Sierra Cement that occurs here...    makes it twice as heavy.. so sad to see the damage... 
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....