Author Topic: Ideas on water fill  (Read 1839 times)

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Ideas on water fill
« on: June 04, 2017, 07:27:20 AM »
  My wife and I have been camping the RCL area for over 30 years, but with a tent trailer. I was able to pull it there and fill the small holding tank with a 6 gal water container, filled from the campground faucet. We graduated (December of last year) to a 2017, 27ft Jayco. Much different than what we are used to. The holding tank is almost 100 gallons, so the 6 gal container fill is out. OK...now the question...I have hoses and the temporary connector to attach to the campground faucet, so is this acceptable for fill? I would rather not fill my tanks before leaving home, adding around 8 lbs per gallon (800 lbs) to my tow weight. What do the rest of you do? An suggestions?

:trailer: :trailer:We have reservations July 7th - 14th at French camp (site 37, where a faucet is close), then September 13th - 22nd at East Fork (site 111, but have no idea of faucet location). Does anyone know if there is a faucet close to East Fork 111? :trailer:
"Don't get no better than this!"

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas on water fill
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 07:54:08 AM »
111 is across from the restrooms. I believe there is a faucet there also, across the road from the site. Many of the faucets do not have hose threads.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 08:51:33 AM »
I had the same question and I called Tom's place.  This will be our first time bringing a trailer up there as we always have tent camped in the past.  I was told there is a dump station right by French camp that you can fill up at and dump.  I didn't want to tow with all the extra weight either.  Enjoy your travels!

Cheers,
Tony

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 08:58:58 AM »
Thanks, Packer. I have a gadget that can attach, temporarily, to the faucet and the other end threads to the hose. It was designed to use a faucet with no threads to fill the tanks. I know that some places look down on using the faucets this way, but it would only be until I can manually fill the tanks, then be disconnected. 800 lbs is a lot to tow if you don't have to.

Also, I am considering solar for the trailer. It is already wired for it by the batteries. Any ideas on the wattage of the panels needed to supply
sufficient charge for 2 batteries? I have a 5000 watt generator for the trailer, and a Honda 2000 watt generator to charge the batteries, but would rather not use them if possible. I am there for the peace and quiet, not to hear my generator running for hours.

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 09:01:24 AM »
Thanks Tony. I was wondering about the dump station as well. At least I wouldn't need to tow all the way up the grade from Bishop, just the last couple miles up the canyon to East Fork.

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 04:51:55 PM »
Also, I am considering solar for the trailer. It is already wired for it by the batteries. Any ideas on the wattage of the panels needed to supply sufficient charge for 2 batteries? I have a 5000 watt generator for the trailer, and a Honda 2000 watt generator to charge the batteries, but would rather not use them if possible. I am there for the peace and quiet, not to hear my generator running for hours.

You need to figure out how many watts you draw when sitting, what you are using (TV, fridge, lights,sat receiver, etc.) when all is on.  Then you can figure out how many watts of panel generation to get.  There really is no magic number for every application.  Deep cycle batteries normally don't charge more than 2-10 amps/hour, which at 12 volts, is only 120 watts max needed to recharge just the batteries.  Watts = Amps X Volts.

This way, you can run off the panels and batteries, like my roommates place in Baja.  She has enough to run a TV, refrigerator, and LED lights (which draw nothing!!) as well as a WiFi antenna and some spare wattage.  I think she has a 4000 watt inverter IIRC.  Refrigerators draw the most.  TV is minimal, as are LED lights if you retrofit that direction.  She has propane stove and water heater.

P.S.  Those of us who still tent camp really appreciate your keeping the generators off unless absolutely necessary. 

Good luck and have fun!

John
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 05:08:32 PM by John Harper »

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 08:11:02 PM »
John H's Ohms Law formula is spot on.

Only things I would suggest is to calculate the load you have and have a system capable of at least 125% of that. The other thing I would suggest is run your fridge on propane if that's an option.

I agree with running the generator as little as possible, and not at all after the dinner hour.

Enjoy
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 10:10:53 AM »
So we rent trailers " Sierra Vacation Trailer rental" all the time . They fill up at the base near Tom's place so when we move in it's full but we have run out of water before and yes we just ran the hose to the faucet and refilled the tanks . I have seen many people do this so I think it's fine ,we have never been told not to. I will say I believe most people have full tanks when the arrive and only use the faucets for refill.
The Creek is Waiting...

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 06:43:41 AM »
  Thanks everyone on the solar information. I have never liked running a generator for hours on end, and absolutely never in the late afternoon. I like to shut all that down a few hours before the first campfires. People who are trying to enjoy their trip usually cherish the times around the fire with friends and family, I know we do. Generators should never be a part of that. Usually, during the day we are out and about so the LED lighting in the trailer will not be on (we have skylight too in the trailer for the daytime) and maybe watch a movie at night on the tv. I would like to be on solar as much as possible, although I don't believe we'll be running much during the day, just to charge the batteries. I was thinking of a 400W portable system for charging the two batteries (that will probably grow to 4 later) and a possible light or so during the day. The refrigerator has a switch that goes from electric to gas, and I believe, unless you option otherwise it defaults to gas whenever possible.

I had considered filling down below (at the dump station), so I think that will be my plan now. I can use the hose option in the campsite if needed later. Looking forward to making new memories in this trailer, like we did for 25 years in the last one. Although, this one has already spoiled us tremendously. Glamping at it's finest.

Tight lines all, and hope to see you off and on there during the season. We are there July 7th - 13th (French camp #37) and Sept. 13th - 22nd (East Fork, #111). Stop in and give us a shout!

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 12:23:26 PM »
Are you planning on heading up the road in July to attend the CLUB gathering?

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 08:09:01 PM »
We may stop in to say Hi. My wife and I did that  a few years ago during the group camp out and was able to meet several in the group. Carol took us around and introduced everyone. We will have others with us who have never seen the Eastern Sierras, so we are leaving most of the activities up to them. What site in East Fork is the gathering in on Saturday?

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »
It will be in 114 again as it probably was a few years back. Happy hour starts about 3:30/4:00pm. Hope to see you all there.

Still Mostly Spinning

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Rock Creek's Message Board
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 08:36:44 AM »
The water faucet at the camp host is threaded.  There's enough room to get my cab over at least out of traffic and fill the water tank.
 I'm working in a CTEK D250 S into my system now.  It will allow the solar panel to charge both the house and truck battery and the alternator to charge both batteries also.  I added a switch to run the camper off either source.  We'll see. 
East Fork in July for 15 years now.  I'm waiting for reports to convince me to move it to August.

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 11:50:36 AM »
Still Mostly Spinning...July is not my most favorite time of the year to be there, but our friends that have never seen the Eastern Sierras are a school teacher and school counselor, so our favorite time (Sept.) is out for them. Oh well...I had to just plan two trips this year...one week in July and two weeks in September. If you don't mind a little cooler weather, the Fall is my favorite time...plus, you get the absolutely beautiful Fall colors. At the present, I am working a deal with the wife for a guys trip sometime in between these two. You know, can't get enough fix in of the Sierras. Better than any stimulant.

Interesting about your engineering project. Let us know how it works out, I may wish to do the same for my trailer solar set-up.

Still Mostly Spinning

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Rock Creek's Message Board
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 08:01:02 PM »
fshrsmn,

The Ctek setup worked as advertised.  A nice sunny day at East Fork (9,000+) charged the 100 amp house battery from 80% to 100%.  We never had the least issue with it.  I did see it running a maintenance charge on the truck battery.  Nice.