Author Topic: First Golden Trout for 2017  (Read 4718 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
First Golden Trout for 2017
« on: August 09, 2017, 12:59:58 PM »
First Golden Trout for 2017

Was finally able to hike back to the backcountry for some Golden Trout fishing.  Still lots of snow on the trails over 10,000 ft. but was able to get to this Golden Trout gem of a lake at over 11,000 ft.  Can’t believe it took it to August before I was able to get up there!  Never seen so much snow in August! 

Be careful out there as it’s still very dangerous with the swift running creeks and snow bridges getting ready to collapse in the high country.  But the hike was worth it with hungry goldens attacking my fly!

This is a test run using “imgur”, a free photo sharing site.

Golden Trout

Golden Trout

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 02:30:34 PM by wshawkins »
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: First Golden Trout for 2017
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 01:28:42 PM »
Beautiful fish!
I've been trying to post a couple reports from this year but with Photobucket not cooperating I wasn't sure what to do. I played with Imgur but could only get it to include a link not the actual photo on the post. How did you do that? Thanks!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 03:43:42 PM »
First time for me using imgur so no expert, but this is how I did it:

•   Sign-up for a free account
•   Give a name to your new album (if you wish)
•   Select add images or Upload images to your new album
•   Select image(s) you wish to post
•   Link page comes up on your right
•   Select edit image if you wish to edit photo first, otherwise you may skip this step
•   Select “Large Thumbnail” at bottom right of link page
•   Select “Copy” on “Linked BBCode (message boards)”
•   Paste this to your post on “Rock Creek Message Boards”

You don’t have to name or put images in albums but for organizing your trips I recommend it.  If you don’t select an album name, it will go into your images file.  You can move or copy images to other albums as needed.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 02:31:39 AM »

Those goldens are bigger than the ones I've caught so far this year. I've only made it as far as some small streams. Hoping to change that next week.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 07:52:30 AM »
Gary, not all goldens were this size.  You know how fishermen are; we always show our biggest and most colorful ones.  But the truth is the average was somewhere around 10-12”, but all were so beautiful no matter the size.   Heading out soon for the Cottonwoods for more goldens.  Good fishing on your next trip! :fishing3:

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 09:31:49 AM »
WSH - out of my normal curiosity, can you please share with us at least the general location of this 'Golden Trout gem of a lake over 11,000ft?'

Based on a couple of your recent posts, I wondered if it might have been in the 20 Lakes Basin or more likely up above that area based on the 11K indication.

The small background visible in the photos and the lush Alpine greenery/groundcover suggest it is a beautiful location.

Thanks for all of your posts and contributions of your knowledge and TRs.  Very enjoyable as well as educational.

All the best!  P A C

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 11:01:38 AM »
Anxious to hear about your Cottonwood trip as we were shut out at 4 and 5 last time. I had wondered if the DFW ( I prefer DFG) had started their plan to restore the lakes to pure goldens only.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 10:38:53 AM »
WSH - out of my normal curiosity, can you please share with us at least the general location of this 'Golden Trout gem of a lake over 11,000ft?'

Based on a couple of your recent posts, I wondered if it might have been in the 20 Lakes Basin or more likely up above that area based on the 11K indication.

The small background visible in the photos and the lush Alpine greenery/groundcover suggest it is a beautiful location.

Thanks for all of your posts and contributions of your knowledge and TRs.  Very enjoyable as well as educational.

All the best!  P A C

PAC, you’re getting too good at guessing or I’m becoming too predictable. :lol2:  Yes, this is in the 20 lakes basin.  There are 9 lakes that have the elusive golden trout in them, 6 with goldens only and 3 others that are mixed with other trout species.  Water water everywhere on the lower elevations and snow everywhere above 10,600 ft.  Very difficult getting around and with no water taxi this year,  add another 3-4 miles to your hike!

Just for everyone’s info, DFW is now stocking Cutts in 20 lakes basin (Steelhead Lake).  It’s just gets better!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 10:40:29 AM »
Anxious to hear about your Cottonwood trip as we were shut out at 4 and 5 last time. I had wondered if the DFW ( I prefer DFG) had started their plan to restore the lakes to pure goldens only.

Sorry to hear that bj.  Usually Cottonwoods 3 & 4 are productive.  We all have days like that.  Hard to figure them goldens sometimes.  But fishing was excellent for me last year.  Also fished the South Fork Lakes and did fine but smaller goldens.   :fishing3:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 10:43:12 AM »
Typical sized golden caught on my last fishing adventure.  About 11 inches, but still a gorgeous looking golden trout!

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 01:27:16 PM »

Sorry to hear that bj.  Usually Cottonwoods 3 & 4 are productive.  We all have days like that.  Hard to figure them goldens sometimes.  But fishing was excellent for me last year.  Also fished the South Fork Lakes and did fine but smaller goldens.   :fishing3:

It was 2 years ago October when 4 and 5 were zeros. Did alright in 3 but mostly small. Many ions ago caught first golden ever. It was at South Fork. Caught 39 on one Adams fly  and 1 on a kastmaster. That hooked me on goldens.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 02:55:55 AM »
I've read a few reports and talked with some guys I know pretty well and everyone is saying that Cottonwood Lakes has been off so far this year. Lots of speculation as to late spring-wet year- whatever. Everyone still has hope and plans for improvement any day now of course.

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 01:25:25 PM »
I recognize that lake! Glad it was ice free for you. I hiked up there some years back the first week of August and it was still iced over. Must be nice with fewer people back that way with the water taxi not running. Adds a few miles walking around Saddlebag but less people is always better in the Sierras. Nice work!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 08:18:07 AM »
Hears a photo from last year during 4th of July weekend during the drought with little snow on the ground but the golden trout lake was frozen solid.  It was so thick I could of ice skated on it!  Just can't get here too early in the season for fishing! :fishing3:

Frozen Golden Trout Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 07:24:14 AM »
One of the upper lakes on this trip.  Lots of snow in the upper elevations this season!

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 06:04:51 PM »
Nice viewpoint....CANNONBALL !!
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 07:08:06 AM »
Looking down on another upper lake that's just becoming ice free.  Would estimate that the snow is 4-6 feet deep and this was in early August!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 06:44:13 AM »
My mode of operation when playing (Fishing) in the snow.  Without snowshoes, I could be sinking chest deep into the snow. :shoveling:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 06:24:27 AM »
Caught this hybrid golden trout out of one of the lower lakes (7 lakes total in this group).  less colorful than the others but still gorgeous!

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 11:58:53 PM »
Beautiful fish! Thanks as always for the great pics