Author Topic: First Golden Trout for 2017  (Read 24292 times)

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: First Golden Trout for 2017
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2018, 11:56:29 AM »
Wow lots of ice up there!
What type of bag rating do you take when you're doing a trip at this time of the year?  Hope you were toasty.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2018, 03:03:12 PM »
My sleeping bag is rated for 20*F.  But it comes with a liner and with long johns, wool socks and a base layer on I was toasty as can be even when the temps hit the mid-teens.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2018, 07:09:42 AM »
Finally ice starting to break up!

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2018, 06:54:51 AM »
Finally the lake begins to thaw out and the real fishing begins……………….

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2018, 06:51:58 AM »
My “Last Golden Trout” caught in 2017.  At 3:30 pm the lakes begin to freeze over again on this cold day, so it was time for me to head back to the trailhead.  Great way to end the day with a beautiful Golden Trout.  This also is the last photos for this post.  Thanks for all the nice comments!

papow

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2018, 09:10:36 AM »
Thanks wshawkins!! :clap:

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2018, 09:32:50 AM »
Thank's again for another Great adventure!   :clap: :clap: :clap:

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2018, 01:04:14 PM »
Beautiful pics, and even more beautiful fish! Thanks for sharing! BTW, is that mine still open on the back side of Saddlebag?

bj

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2018, 02:54:15 PM »
Great shots of the Conness area. Thanks. I need to get back up there one of these days. Sure wish the shuttle boat would run again.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2018, 07:12:01 AM »
Thanks again for the nice comments!  It was another great adventure and it’s always nice to reminiscing over some of the best moments of last season.   :hiking2: :fishing3:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2018, 07:13:40 AM »
Beautiful pics, and even more beautiful fish! Thanks for sharing! BTW, is that mine still open on the back side of Saddlebag?

I believe you’re speaking about the Hess Mine,right?  The tungsten mine was actively mined by the Hess family of Lee Vining until the mine was closed in 1962.  Some of the buildings or parts of these buildings are still in use today.  The Forest Service Wilderness Headquarters at the north end of Saddlebag Lake was one of the living quarters for the mine.  Parts of some of the old buildings are now incorporated into the Saddlebag Lake Resort storage building.

You can still hike to the mine on the old mine road.  And can still see several areas that have significant tailings from the Hess Mine.  The National Forrest Service blasted the mine shut because of the Wilderness Act of 1964.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2018, 07:14:57 AM »
Great shots of the Conness area. Thanks. I need to get back up there one of these days. Sure wish the shuttle boat would run again.

I miss the shuttle boat too as it added many extra miles to my trips.  I would guess they will be out again this summer too as they have not started any repairs yet.  Saddlebag Lake Resort is still for sale so who knows maybe well have new owners soon.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 06:39:24 AM by wshawkins »