Author Topic: Tips for locating some fish  (Read 1403 times)

Will

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Tips for locating some fish
« on: August 13, 2017, 07:30:29 PM »
Hello fellas,

I am returning to Yosemite for a trip in early September. Wife and I took a trip out to Tahoe last September and only had time for a day in Yosemite. This time we are returning for 4 and a half days and I am bringing my fly rod this time. I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on some best options/chances for landing some fish while I am there. I will be dragging my wife along, and I will of course have to accomodate everything she wants to do in Yosemite so I can't do too many long hikes to fishing spots (looking for relatively easily accessed areas)and I must make time for quality time with her obviously. :-) I do want to at least hike up and hit middle Gaylor Lake. And I really want to fit in the Cathedral Lakes hike. We will be staying in Half Dome Village. So if you guys have any advice on specific areas on the Merced in the Valley. Or anywhere else I would have a good chance I'd be forever grateful. I am new to fly fishing and I have never caught a trout on my fly rod. I've caught blue gil, crappie, and Large Mouth bass here in Virginia, but no trout yet and I am itching to catch one. I will be releasing all fish. Is Tenaya Lake an option for a good shot at landing a fish or two? I'm ordering some barbless flies to take along. I don't have any of those as we do not have to use those here in Virginia. We are also staying 2 days in Mammoth, on Lake Mary before heading up to Lake Tahoe for 4 days to end our trip. Thanks in advance and love the site!

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for locating some fish
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 08:48:56 PM »
Middle Gaylor can be fun near the inlet. Sometimes the wind in your face can make it a little difficult with a dry fly. Also. Upper Gaylor is a short hike and can produce a lot of action on your fly rod. Me, I always have a telescoping spinning rod with fly bubble along just in case. Lake Mary has some monster browns but you might need a boat or float tube. Good Luck!
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 03:24:51 PM »
Lyle and Dana Forks of the Tuolumne River provide the best stream fishing with Brown's, Rainbows and Eastern Brook trout.   Another good creek is Tenaya Creek.  Start at Tenaya bridge, then fish up or down the creek from there.

Easy day hikes in the area that are recommended are Dog Lake, Young Lakes,  Elizabeth Lake, Catherdraw Lakes and Gaylor Lakes.

You also have three drive to Lakes in the Tioga Pass area that are stocked weekly with Rainbow
Trout with Tioga, Ellery and Saddlebag Lakes.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Will

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 06:44:10 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations guys. Much appreciated. Counting down the days now. I am going to give Middle Gaylor Lake, and Cathedral Lake a go, and try to wet my line in Tioga and Saddlebag Lakes.  While I'm in Yosemite valley I will give the Merced another shot. No luck last year but I had very little time to fish. I saw no fish there below El Capitan where I was fishing, but I did see plenty of fish behind the Majestic Yosemite Hotel where we stayed the night, but the wife wanted to enjoy the evening with me and I didn't get a chance to throw my line at em. I do plan on renting a boat on Lake Mary. Wish me luck!

Will

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 06:45:55 PM »
I am thinking of taking a spinning setup with me too for a shot at some rainbows from the shore on Lake Mary and Lake Tahoe where we've rented Lakefront cabins.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 08:37:18 AM »
Remember that special catch and release regulations apply for native rainbow trout caught in the Merced River, from Happy Isles downstream to the Foresta Bridge. Use only artificial lures or flies with barbless hooks and all bait fishing is prohibited and is strictly enforced throughout the park.  Happy Fishing! :fishing3: :flyfish:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Will

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 06:58:11 PM »
I had a fantastic trip. I didn't get in as much fishing as I would have liked, but I did finally get to catch some trout. No luck in the Merced, although I did see plenty of fish. But the day we spent on the Valley floor found so many people around the trout were spooked and I just had no luck at all. I caught 2 small brookies in the Tuolumne River across from the Tuolumne meadows visitor center and that was so damn fun. I will never forget it. Lake Mary found me only able to fish for a couple hours due to the lateness of arrival day 1, and day 2 plagued by thunderstorms that pushed me off the lake and a resultant unfortunate and unplanned "swim" in Lake Mary. Ruined my phone, and lost my favorite fly box and tools too. That was Damn cold water. LOL. Did the Gaylor Lakes hike and fished both middle and upper gaylor a little. We got a late start after hiking Vernal falls in the AM. Upon first arrival to the edge of Middle Gaylor, a Brookie smacked my fly on the very first cast but I missed him. Then a gentleman advised there were much larger trout in upper Gaylor so i headed up there with the wife and then the weather turned south. Damn the weather can change so quickly in the Sierra Nevadas! We turned back, I fished middle Gaylor a bit more on the way out but a Thunderstom was brewin and we picked back up the trail and headed out. That was the most fantastic and beautiful hike! Gaylor Lakes is a must for a Yosemite vacation IMO. I will get back there someday, and I will get there much earlier! Really missing being out there. Likely a couple years before I get back. Didn't get to squeeze in Cathedral Lakes so next time that will definitely get done. Thanks for the tips guys. Sure wish I was coming back sooner.