Author Topic: Interesting Weather  (Read 1035 times)

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Interesting Weather
« on: September 22, 2017, 08:37:51 AM »
I see Tioga Pass is still closed this morning after yesterdays snow.Photos of Mammoth Mtn on the news last night were quite a surprise.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Weather
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 12:53:24 PM »
Had original plans to hike into Hiltons Wednesday, two days ago, and come out Sunday. Now glad things changed and was unable to make the trip. Did not want to haul in winter gear yet, its only September! Would have been pretty back there, but more weight for sure to enjoy it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:57:00 PM by Packer »
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 04:51:54 PM »
chp spent the week hauling hikers off of the pacific crest trail that came out on ebbots pass... that road was closed alos, but chp had a feeling, so drove up there in their bigger vehicles to see who they might find, and bingo!   they were right!   lots of folks hiking not prepared for winter like weather!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 07:51:39 PM »
We usually get at least one unexpected snow storm each September.  It has happened every year since we purchased our cabin.  I remember being so excited when we picked up our keys and spent the first night...then woke up to it snowing the next day and thinking what the hell have we gotten ourselves into.  Had to wait for the plow to come up so we could get down the hill.
The creek is waiting...

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 01:18:13 PM »
We were at East Fork Sept. 13th - 22nd. When I get the time I am going to try and post pictures (again, so hopefully can get it right this time) of the drive up to Mosquito Flat on the morning of the 21st. We got up there before any foot traffic so there were no prints in the snow yet. It snowed about 6 inches there over the night Wednesday 20th. Gorgeous scenery after the snow...especially with some of the Fall colors showing through.   
"Don't get no better than this!"

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 08:09:47 PM »
Well, have to say this is one of the earliest years we have ever closed up for winter.  Nighttime temps in the canyon have been consistently between 16-25 degrees for the past 3-weeks.  It usually does not get that cold until November.  There is a “heat spell” this weekend, but that only warms up the nights to the 30’s...which is normal this time of the year.
The creek is waiting...

Chluke

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 08:10:11 AM »
My brother and i are coming to Bishop tomorrow to fish.  We were planning to fish Rock Creek and some of the lakes: Heart, Marsh, etc.  Does this mean the road is closed to the last trailhead?  Thanks for any help.  First time in the area.
Phil

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 10:01:12 AM »
All roads and trails remain open.  Enjoy your day of fishing and hiking.  Fall colors are out and the fish are biting! :hiking2: :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Chluke

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 10:12:20 AM »
Thank You!  I can't wait.