Author Topic: 2017 Eastern Sierra Photos  (Read 15808 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
2017 Eastern Sierra Photos
« on: September 23, 2017, 01:12:21 PM »
2017 Eastern Sierra Photos

If you like lots of snow and water, 2017 was the year for you!  I canít remember seeing so much snow and rushing water so late in the season (as of mid-September).  The negatives are I had to wait late in the season to get to my favorite high country lakes and the damage the winter snow and melting waters did to the roads, bridges, buildings and trails along the way.  Iíll share what I have seen so far as I was up there early, mid and planning to be there late season (late October). 

If you have any photos you like to share, please do as Iím using imgur photo sharing site for this report.  Imgur is a free photo sharing site!

Can anybody guess where this is?  This photo was taken during the 4th of July holiday weekend.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 05:19:30 PM by wshawkins »
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Eastern Sierra Photos
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 09:51:57 AM »
OK, since it has been a couple of days now and this post has now received over 350 views, but no takers (yet) of your challenge, I will formally stick my neck out with following semi-educated WAGs:

Here is my logic - Based on the date of 1st week of July 2017, the amount and apparent depth of the snow, no visible water, yet no appearance or indications that the wide expanses of white snow are FLAT terrain like would indicate a frozen lake - all look like they have a slight downslope angle to the expanses - based on your personal history of early morning starts to your adventures and generally from a trailhead on the Eastern Side, and that this picture appears to be looking to the West based on no Sun in the distance and the lighting appearing to be before well before noon as well as the vast snow covered range in the distant background of the photo:

WAG #1 - Horseshoe Meadows area/approach trail to Cottonwood Lakes ?  (I have never been to either - yet)

WAG #2 - My first inclination (which is based on other beta gleaned from a couple of your posts earlier this summer) is that this is the Dana Meadows area and photo is taken from a unique position somewhere up above and south of Tioga Pass/ Tioga Lake looking West/Northwest ?  (This area I have visited many times previously over the years)

The confirmed answer from you will be interesting and enlightening. As Always! 

Thanks again for all of your great posts and sharing your images with us!

P A C   :clap: :bowdown: :woot2: :thankyou: :photographer: :twothumbs:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 01:42:27 PM »
PAC.  WAG #2 is correct!  Yosemite or Tioga Pass would have been OK answers too.  I think the snow threw everybody off.  Have not seen that much snow in Yosemite for a decade or longer. 

We try to get up there for the opening every year for Tioga Pass into Yosemite.  I believe it opened on June 30th and we were there early July 1st.  Spectacular views with lots of snow and water this year.  Iíll go over the highlights what Iíve seen for those who could not make it this year.

Mostly frozen Dana Fork of the Tuolumne River, Yosemite.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 05:21:41 PM by wshawkins »
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 04:33:20 PM »
I am truly honored to have guessed that and should have gone with my 'gut' and initial inclination.

The reason I felt so strongly about it being Dana Meadows is I have a memory of a similar view from the Summer of 1983 and also 1995, the last two extremely heavy and late winters most similarto this past winter.

As an FYI and to WSH, you may know this as well, when you enter the park via Tioga Pass and are driving westbound towards Tuolumne Meadows, or are approaching the park exit east bound from Tuolumne Meadows, on the 120 roadway, in Dana Meadows, there is a section of roadway with A LOT of 'old' looking avalanche debris fields spanning from 100 to 200 yards north of the 120 and fanning out into Dana Meadows south of the 120. 

The majority of that Avalanche Debris was from the 1983 winter (actually the spring/summer melt), and I remember the road crew working on that debris along the side of the road as they had cleared it.  There was actually a relatively short stretch of roadway that was down to one lane with alternating one way traffic with a portable timed stoplight for a very short period until they finished the clean up and repairs to the road.  That was 1983.  Don't recall if the stoplight was powered by 12 volt battery or a fuel powered generator - definitely many years before Solar was utilized...

It is both incredibly  interesting and yet somewhat scary to realize we are actually able to experience 'history' like this over the years - I sure don't think or feel that I am any older today than I was 34 (yikes!) summers ago............

WSH - looking forward to your future posts and recaps of your experiences this year, along with your incredible photos as well.

All the BEST, P A C

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 01:49:40 AM »
I almost guess Tuolumne Meadows but I thought that there was a little too much snow. I really had no idea though.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 07:06:18 AM »
Tuolumne Meadows was my destination for the day and bought my old trusty sage fly pole for a lazy day of fishing in Tuolumne River.  Tuolumne is about 1400 to 1500 feet lower Tioga Pass, so did not expect any snow and I was right.  What I didnít expect was all the rushing water as Tuolumne River was turned into a large lake!

Tuolumne River (Lake!)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 07:26:40 AM »
Nice hike to an unnamed lake in Yosemite

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 07:30:19 AM »
Unnamed Yosemite lake holds decent sized Eastern Brooks

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 07:38:51 AM »
Another great day hike in Yosemite is to Budd Lake.  Trailhead is from Cathedral Lakes which is out of Tuolumne Meadows near the John Muir Trail.  There is no official trail to Budd Lake, which makes this hike nearly people free even during the busy summer months.  Went here in mid-August.

Fish will fight for your offering at Budd Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 07:26:30 AM »
Now at Yosemite entrance gate

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 07:27:59 AM »
Yosemite East Gate Entrance

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 06:49:33 AM »
I'll be heading to Tioga Pass next where the snow was deep on July 1st, but first a sneak peek of the coming fall season.  Should be prime season anytime now!

Rock Creek Lake Taken on 9-20-2017

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 07:01:42 AM »
Tioga Pass received lots of snow over the winter.  Tioga Pass Resort just about got buried.

Tioga Pass Resort

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 07:02:53 AM »
Tioga Pass Resort on July 1, 2017

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 06:53:06 AM »
Quote of the day

"The act and insanity of one madman shall not define usĒ
   :flag:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 06:56:11 AM »
The lump or hill on the bottom right of this photo is the main building and cafe for Tioga Pass Resort, completely covered by snow!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 06:59:53 AM »
After the snow melted, you can see the major structural damage done by the snow, also know by as "Sierra Cement".  Cabins #1 and #2 also had some damage.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 06:20:55 AM »
Tioga Lake and Mount Dana

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 06:23:07 AM »
Saddlebag Lake Road getting plowed

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 06:31:20 AM »
When they finished plowing the road, I went to Saddlebag Lake.  Lots of snow in early July.

Frozen Saddlebag Lake and the Resort

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 06:35:55 AM »
Looking at Saddlebag Lake Resort main building and Cafe.  You can begin to see some of the structural damage on this structure and why they could not open up this year.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 11:29:12 AM »
hears a look at the roof line after the snow melted in September 2017.  You can really tell the damage once you look into the store.  Just like the Tioga Pass Resort, major structural damage.  I hope they can repair this next season but don't expect they will open in 2018.  Hope I'm wrong!

Saddlebag lake resort

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 06:44:13 AM »
Tioga Pass in early July 2017

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 07:14:43 AM »
Itís so quiet here in Rock Creek's Message Board you can hear a pin drop!  Guess this topic is a bust.  It happens so Iíll just end this topic now.  I guess snow is boring!  Here is what you missed: :shoveling:

Some of the highlights were Tioga Pass (which I shared), high snow levels and the damage to the two resorts in the area.  Some of the higher lakes (over 11,000 ft.) were still partial frozen over in September, just incredible!   :yodel:

Mammoth Lakes won the prize for deepest snow; some of the drifts were over 35-40 feet high.  Took a hike over Duck Pass in spring, most of the lakes were frozen but fished for Rainbows in Duck Lake where there was open water.  Visited Mammoth both in winter and spring.

Also visited Rock Creek in last winter and this summer.  Cross-country skiing in winter and great fishing in summer.  Caught my first Cutthroat in the Rock Creek area.  I might just try for the ďSierra Grand SlamĒ (5 different species of trout), now that I know thatís its possible here.

Some of the other areaís I visited was Sonora Pass (lots of snow), Bridgeport Lakes (more snow), Lundy Canyon (went the back way to 20 lakes basin), June Lake Loop (Horsetail waterfall was incredible!) and down south to Big Pine Lakes (beautiful!).  Lots of gorgeous fish caught (most released) with a few trophy size.  This also makes for one of the shortest fishing seasons on record for me.  So with that last thought, Iím heading up there one more time before the upper lakes freeze on me.  Wish me luckÖÖÖ  :hiking2: :fishing3:

RockToad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 10:00:53 AM »
I have loved seeing your fantastic pictures! I'm sure many others do too.  I hope more come into view:-)