Author Topic: 2017 Eastern Sierra Photos  (Read 15554 times)

papow

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Eastern Sierra Photos
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2017, 08:38:36 AM »
You're pictures are a highlight to me every time that you post. They give me the opportunity to see areas that I will never be able to see in person. Age, medical limitations, finances and time prevent me from making the trips that you do. How awesome is the beauty of God's creation, and your pictures bring it to all of us on the Board. Thanks

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2017, 08:54:40 AM »
Just back from Eastern Sierra!  Fall colors were great again and the fishing was off the wall good!  My trip ended with several inches of snow falling overnight and the temperature plunging down.  Wow it was beautiful. 

Still time to catch some of the fall colors but hurry it won’t last!  Best places to find it is at Lundy Canyon near the lower campgrounds, Lee Vining Canyon, June Lake Loop, Convict Lake, Lower McGee Canyon, Mono Lake community and Lower Rock Creek.

Fishing was superb this fall with some personal records broke with most backcountry wild Browns caught (and released) this year, largest Brookie ever caught in the Rock Creek area and a record for the books for the Rock Creek area that turned out differently than I thought it would.  Can an “Eastern Sierra Slam” (5 different species of trout caught in the same day) be possible in Rock Creek backcountry?  I’ll share later what I attempted in late October.   

Here is just a sample of the fall colors I seen this trip: 

Rock Creek

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 08:56:04 AM »
Rock Creek

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2017, 08:57:21 AM »
Parker lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2017, 08:58:30 AM »
Silver Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2017, 08:59:41 AM »
June Lake Loop

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2017, 09:01:32 AM »
Gull Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2017, 09:03:02 AM »
Little Walker Lake

Bishop Creek Canyon

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2017, 09:04:22 AM »
Mammoth Lakes

Secret Lake

RockToad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2017, 02:44:34 PM »
Incredible Pictures!  Thanks so much :clap:

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2017, 01:13:52 PM »
YEAH,  DITTO TO WHAT ROCKTOAD SAID! :worship:

WS Hawkins, thanks once again  for sharing these incredibly gorgeous photos of your travels.  Can't wait to read about and see all of the Fishing Trip reports and photos when you are able to find the time to post them. :clap:

I was wondering and hoping that this fall would be fantastic in the Eastern Sierra based on all of the factors from the first 8 to 9 months of the year - glad to see someone able to take maximum advantage of it.   :twothumbs:

Currently don't have the time to research on a map at this moment - is the lake shown in the photo of 'Secret Lake' truly named Secret Lake, or is it one of your 'secrets' ? :reading:

Thanks, and All the Best!

P A C

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2017, 06:44:44 AM »
P A C, the lake in question is a back-country unnamed lake according to California Department of Fish & Wildlife.  There are plenty (Hundreds) of these unnamed lakes out there, many with trout in them.  This lake I call “Secret Lake” because you could walk right by it and miss it as it’s hidden by small to medium sized aspen trees around its perimeter plus there is no trail to this lake.  It’s quite a hike to “Secret Lake” but worth it for the beauty, tranquility and especially the special trout that occupy its waters. :hiking2: :fishing3:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2017, 06:48:46 AM »
I went over to Sonora Pass hoping to fish the golden lakes but they were all still frozen over.  Went instead to the lower lakes that held the Cutthroat Trout.  Lots of snow over and near the pass. 

Sonora Pass

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2017, 05:51:30 AM »
Ellery Lake in Tioga Pass was full in August 2017

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2017, 08:55:13 AM »
Ellery Lake drained down by mid-Oct 2017

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2017, 09:25:02 AM »
WSH - Wonderful comparative/contrasting photos!  As I've shared, I also have spent a lot (yet not enough) time in the TIoga Pass area over the past almost 40 years now (Yikes!) and love all 3 seasons that it is accessible by car.

I have been up there late in October in non-drought years however never seen Ellery drained so low in October - curious if you were able to see any Fall Brown Trout spawning runs up the inlet and further up into Junction Meadow and up Saddlebag Creek this year?

Or spawning fish staging at the inlet of Tioga getting ready to make their fall run?  I know they are rare, however there a still a few monster size Browns in that lake.  In the previous years, TPR had some beautiful examples of all species which were caught in the area mounted on the support wall between the cafe' and the main store. 

Please keep the TR and Photos coming!

All the best, P A C

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2017, 06:13:53 AM »
This has been a bumper fall crop spawning year for the Brown Trout.  Because of the prior drought years, the high country lakes that support Brown Trout could not spawn due to the spawning grounds were dried up.  With our big wet winter, creeks, streams and rivers are all still flowing nicely in October.  I can’t say where their spawning due to prying eyes, but there out there in record numbers and they are Big! 

You won’t see them on that last photo of Ellery Lake due to the fact they don’t spawn in mud.  They prefer slower water (under 70*F) and prosper in freestone streams.  The big ones are more challenging to catch than other trout, no doubt aided by the fact that larger Brown trout feed mostly at night.

It’s been a most unusual year as I have been saying.  I observed Rainbows spawning in July (usually never later than June), Goldens spawning in August (Short season for Goldens).  The Brook Trout are now spawning now with their brilliant in full colors.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2017, 06:17:23 AM »
On a Gardisky Lake Hike during a gorgeous August day.  Flowers were in full plume.  Gardisky Lake is behind me and I'm looking towards the White Mountains.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 06:39:35 AM by wshawkins »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2017, 06:41:34 AM »
Gardisky Lake with thundershowers in the forecast.....

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2017, 09:10:56 AM »
Great photos as usual. Looks like a mean day at Gardisky, the wind can really blow thru there. I assume the lower lakes for cutts were Roosevelt and Lane. How were they this time of year?
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2017, 11:23:26 AM »
Great photos as usual. Looks like a mean day at Gardisky, the wind can really blow thru there. I assume the lower lakes for cutts were Roosevelt and Lane. How were they this time of year?

Yeah, the Cutts are still biting in the Hoover Wilderness................. :fishing3:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2017, 06:19:30 AM »
Still ice on one of the upper Conness Lakes in late August

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2017, 06:40:17 AM »
It took quite an effort to reach Lake Helen in 20 Lakes Basin.  Was surprised Lake Helen was fishable as Saddlebag Lake was still frozen solid!  But did not come here for the fishing, I came for the "Snow Caves".

Lake Helen

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2017, 06:42:55 AM »
Nearby lake Helen are the snow caves.  I saw three in this general area.  The snow caves are the result of avalanches filling the gully with snow due to the steepness of the mountains on both sides of this gully.  The snow, sheltered from direct sunlight persists late into the summer.

The caves are then carved out by meltwater stream that runs under it and are expanded by an inrush of warmer air under the snow.  And that’s where the danger lies.  As ice caves grow, the roof of the ice cave thins and weakens.  That increases the danger of a snow bridge or cave roof collapse, and is compounded by the fact that the water flowing into the snow makes it heavier and even more prone to collapse.  This particular snow cave was maybe 12-15 foot high at the crest; a fall through here could cause serious injury.

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2017, 09:51:44 AM »
WSH -

Thank you, as always, for the simply incredible pictures and information. :thanks: :goodpost:

Once again proving the old adage - 'It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know'!  THANK YOU  for sharing. :campfiregroup:

I have read books on this area, various articles, the NFS and resort info handouts etc since I was a kid in the early '70s and have NEVER heard any reference to these incredible snow caves in this area. 

Your photo is fantastic! Have you ever offered (or considered offering) to sell them along with an article, etc to a publication like National Geographic or Outside Magazines?

Some of what I find so interesting, if not fascinating, is the amount of visible and apparently healthy 'flora' among the rocks in the stream bed.  Although this is an Alpine area, and the various life in that zone is suited/evolved to handle, survive and prosper despite the harshness and realities of 'life' in this zone, Direct Sunlight is a vital component.  The richness of the greens of the plants in the stream bed are amazing when considering that, even though there may be light coming through the ever-thinning snow bridge, it is not in fact direct, unfiltered sunlight (unless it is perhaps coming in from an open end of the snow cave/tunnel?).

Also the apparent moss on the bottom of the inverted aretes or sun cups suggest enough sunlight is somehow getting through - especially since most that green tinge appears to be at the thickest parts of the underside of the snow bridge - NOT the thinnest.

Your explanation of the warm air flow helps explain why it may be 'warm enough' for plants to grow as well.

Please know that many of us on this board are grateful and very appreciative of all that you share on this board - despite the appearance of a lack of 'activity' or direct responses or replies to your posts - PLEASE keep them coming, :coffee:  :clap:

All the BEST!  P A C