Author Topic: 2017 Eastern Sierra Photos  (Read 20553 times)

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Eastern Sierra Photos
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2017, 04:16:14 PM »
W S H,

A couple of the many elements that contribute to making your photography and narrative both so incredible and enjoyable to experience vicariously is the 'When' and 'Where' you travel!  As I know from my own experiences over the years - to experience and document so much of the beauty you share with us, you have to travel to some difficult-to-get-to places in sometimes unbelievably difficult-to-get-through conditions.  The risks can be very high, and sometimes the rewards just are not there.  But when they are..........Oh My!  :bowdown:

Thank you again for all that you share with us, and the time and effort you put in to do so before, during and after.   :clap:

Safe Travels to you and your family - each and every time, all of the time.

All the best, P A C

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2017, 07:12:41 AM »
Thanks P A C.  Appreciate the nice comments.

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2017, 07:15:15 AM »
Took the Gondola to the Top of Mammoth Mountain.  The sign  was just about buried under the snow!

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2017, 06:55:39 AM »
Great 360* views from the top of Mammoth Mountain.  This is from February 2017.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2017, 06:54:19 AM »
Next time I came up to Mammoth Lakes was during the weekend of 4th of July.  Some photos of Horseshoe Lake from last year and this year.  What a difference a year makes!

Horseshoe Lake July 2016

Horseshoe Lake July 2017

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2017, 06:38:38 AM »
Horseshoe Lake outlet.  First time time I ever seen water overflow out of this lake.  Amazing season!  July 4th weekend.

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2017, 10:43:44 AM »
Great! Sure doesn't look like the Horseshoe I've seen the last several years. :clap:
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2017, 06:45:29 AM »
Now known for its dead trees, Horseshoe Lake was a great place to picnic and swim in the 70ís when I was a small child.  I donít recall if there was a campground there or not, but the trees were all alive and it was a very beautiful area to visit in the picnic area.

Iím sure most of you know this but starting from the early 1980s natural CO2 out-gassing from a magma body beneath Mammoth Mountain asphyxiated more than 100 acres of trees near Horseshoe Lake.

Now high level of carbon dioxide is emitted from magma chambers below the surface. These high CO2 levels are released into the soil suffocating the root systems of trees in the area, thereby causing over 100 acres of kill zone near Horseshoe Lake.

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2017, 10:25:10 AM »
Sherwin Lakes look a lot like this now.
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2017, 12:30:49 PM »
The tree die-off near the Shermanís is likely the result of years of drought and the bark beetles taking advantage of the treesí weakened condition, or a combination of the two.  I noticed the Lodgepole Pines and Whitebark Pines are the bark beetles favorite meal.

June Mountain Ski Area is the most obvious and visible example of the tree die-off.  In Mammoth,check out the stands of red, dead trees standing on the steep slopes below the Mammoth Crest.  Rock Creek looking south toward the Wheeler Crest looking bad.  Hilton Creek near lakes #1 & 2 looking real bad too.  If a fire ever gets going near Hilton Creek Lakes basin, there will be no stopping it.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2017, 06:43:18 AM »
A sad reminder how deadly carbon dioxide levels can be is in 2006, when three members of a ski patrol team died on Mammoth Mountain as they fell into a volcanic fissure, a natural vent that releases volcanic gas from deep within the Earth.

You can still see these natural vents today on Mammoth Mountain. 

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2017, 07:15:39 AM »
I remember there was one near Chair 3 where you would get a whiff every now and then.
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2017, 08:16:54 AM »
Yeah, just east of #3 chair is this C02 vent. 

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2017, 06:53:03 AM »
While I was up at Horseshoe Lake, I took in the Horseshoe Lake Loop Trail.  This is a 1.7 mile loop that you can hike or ride your mountain bike on.  Reason I even bring this up it has some interesting old structures along the trail.

The first building I come to near Horseshoe Lake has been boarded up as long as I can remember.  Anyone know what it was used for?  Perhaps was a small home or a cabin? 

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2017, 12:06:33 PM »
Not that building but I think there was a scout camp near the lake in the late 40's. My grandparents took me to Crystal Crag Lodge back then and I member a lot of kids swimming at those beaches.
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2017, 07:01:07 AM »
Thanks bj.  That explains the next two structures near Horseshoe Lake I believe.  What are left are the fireplaces from two summer cabins, perhaps for the summer camp for kids?  It had a raised foundation and was fairly a large building (Cabin?).

Iíll keep digging for info on the first structure.

One of two fireplaces near Horseshoe Lake.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2017, 06:41:25 AM »
Views from Horseshoe Lake Loop Trail

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2017, 05:29:13 AM »
Horseshoe Lake Loop Trail

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2017, 12:22:08 PM »
The backside of Horseshoe Lake is very lush as it has several feeder streams that merge into Horseshoe Lake at this junction.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2017, 06:32:47 AM »
I found out what that abandoned building was used for near Horseshoe Lake.  The building in question was a Ranger Cabin.  This cabin was lived in year around by U.S. Forest Service Rangers.  In March 1990, a U.S. Forest Service Ranger became ill with suffocation symptoms after being in a snow-covered cabin near Horseshoe Lake.  Soon after they locked up the cabin tight and itís been sitting there ever since.

Mystery solved! :twothumbs:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2017, 07:03:09 AM »
This is the trailhead at Horseshoe Lake.  Mammoth Lakes Trail System is one of the best I seen, with over 300 miles of trails to explore.  This trail goes toward McLeod Lake (also known as McCloud Lake) and Mammoth Pass.

Just before you get to McLeod Lake, the trail splits and you again have multiple destinations you could hike to.  I take a right to the Bottomless Pit, which also goes to Dragonís Back (interesting) and Seven Lakes Point (great views!).  What makes Bottomless Pit unique is that it is more popular in winter than in summer and even goes by a different name! 

My question to you is why is the Bottomless Pit more popular in winter and what name do the locals call it?  If youíre a Mammoth Lakes fan you should know this.  If not, Iíll give you the answer tomorrowÖÖÖ

The Bottomless Pit features a sheer, bottomless ravine carved in volcanic rock.

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2017, 11:51:22 PM »
Looks more like a hole in the wall to me.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2017, 07:20:59 AM »
Yes!  Hole in the wall is correct.  Popular place to ski through and take pictures in winter. 

Hole in the wall

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2017, 08:25:31 AM »
Took a hike up Duck Pass Trail.  This is Barney Lake and Duck Pass in mid-August 2017.  Lake was just thawing out.  What a year!

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2017, 10:23:35 AM »
Wow! Last time over Duck Pass was an early July trip on horseback and there was very little snow.
Hardrock